Gransnet forums

Meet ups/where are you?

A visit to St Andrews

(98 Posts)
Elizabeth1 Sat 13-May-17 16:34:50

Would anyone like a visit to the beautiful town of St Andrews 27 -30 June? If you're available please give me your preferred date.

Elegran Fri 19-May-17 08:01:36

And everyone else of course!

Elizabeth1 Sat 20-May-17 10:34:31

Shall we say Thursday 29th at the bus station for 12.30? Will be good to see you all again.

oldgoat Sat 20-May-17 21:49:02

I'd love to join you on the 29th Elizabeth 1 but I would have to catch the 4.22pm train from Leuchars to get back to York at a reasonable hour. I'm not sure what you have planned for the afternoon. Do you think I could manage it, please?

MawBroon Sat 20-May-17 22:26:02

I love these books elegran and have read them all sad
Unfortunately her other series just didn't grab me at all.
Parochial, moi?

Katek Sat 20-May-17 23:25:34

I'll be coming by car Elizabeth and don't walk far. Can I meet you at the venue?

Elizabeth1 Wed 24-May-17 11:28:40

Does anyone fancy the tailend restaurant 130 Market street? Say I book it for 12.30? We could all meet there instead of the bus station. A wander around St Andrews after a lovely lunch. oldgoat loads of time to catch the train from Leuchars to get you to York at a reasonable time.

Elizabeth1 Wed 24-May-17 11:31:08

Katek I've always managed to find a parking space close to the Tailend restaurant. If not there's a couple of car parks near to the bus garage.

Katek Wed 24-May-17 11:54:53

Sounds good to me! Very much looking forward to this.

Elizabeth1 Thu 25-May-17 08:27:24

Numbers are growing for our visit to St Andrews

Me
Marelli
Elegran
oldgoat
Katek

Possibilities
EllenT
Marellis friend

I'll book the Tail end in a few days its a popular restaurant. Here's hoping for the sunshine

Marelli Thu 25-May-17 09:02:09

My pal Bellasgran (Ina!) will be joining us. ☺️

Elizabeth1 Thu 25-May-17 09:59:53

Thank you Marelli I didn't know your pals gransnet name. I'm pleased to hear she's coming as well. That takes the count confirmed to 6 and 1 possible. Would that be correct so far?

annodomini Thu 25-May-17 10:12:19

I wish... But it's a bit of a trek from Cheshire. St Andrews is my alma mater where I spent 4 idle productive years getting a degree. It is 59 years since I first went up but we had spent many happy hours on the West Sands as children when we went for our summer holidays at my granny's in Newport-on-Tay.

Elizabeth1 Thu 25-May-17 10:41:27

I've gone and done it. Booked 7 sofar for the Tailend in St Andrews for the 29th June.

Elegran Thu 25-May-17 12:00:49

It sounds great, Elizabeth1. See you all there on the 29th.
Does anyone remember someone saying that they were coming up to Edinburgh from Dahn Sarf some time in June? I may be mixing it up with the time oldgoat came up, but I have this nagging feeling that something ought to be happening? May be a senior moment!

EllenT Fri 26-May-17 14:49:58

Sorry Elizabeth it now looks like being a busy week so I'll have to pull out sad

Elizabeth1 Mon 29-May-17 06:12:14

Another time EllenT

Elizabeth1 Mon 29-May-17 06:18:13

Confirmed so far - A lovely visit to the Tail end restaurant St Andrews on Thursday 29th June for 12.30 all and more are very welcome

Me
Marelli
Elegran
Bellasgran
oldgoat
Katek

Elizabeth1 Wed 07-Jun-17 10:51:57

I'm looking for other gransnetters to visit St Andrews it's a beautiful town with much history and loads of interesting restaurants. The last time I was there I tasted black cheese from a taster tray outside the close where there was a hidden gem of a cheese shop. The cheese was delicious. Perhaps we can have a visit when we're in the town.
If I'm a wee bit delayed on the 29th it's because of a previous appointment. See you then all you foodies. smile

oldgoat Wed 07-Jun-17 11:07:27

I'm really looking forward to the St.Andrews meet-up elizabeth . Good reviews of the Tail End Restaurant and maybe seeing some of the streets and buildings mentioned in 'Death in a Scarlet Gown' which I've just read.
Better get on and and book my train ticket.

oldgoat Wed 07-Jun-17 11:09:19

Has marmight moved 'down-south' now?

Elegran Wed 07-Jun-17 14:44:01

Oldgoat I have just remembered another book, quite different, set in a thinly disguised St Andrews. The blurb goes, "The August and Venerable Golf Club of St Magnus is in trouble. In an ancient deed, the Secretary discovers that the clubhouse and land will revert to Janet, the fishmonger’s daughter, if, on her eighteenth birthday, she is still a virgin. The birthday is imminent, and the Secretary decides to take matters into his own hands. . . "

Elegran Wed 07-Jun-17 14:54:39

Sorry, I forgot to post the name. It is "The Mating Call of the Racket-Tailed Drongo" by Michael Tobert. It is on Kindle.

From his Amazon page, I see that he has also written "Pilgrims in the Rough: An Unreliable History of St Andrews" "A quirky and amusing history of the ancient town of St Andrews situated on the east coast of Scotland, the home of golf and as close to paradise as you're likely to find this side of the pearly gates... a plum pudding sort of a history, full of choice fruit and a dusting of sugar."

oldgoat Wed 07-Jun-17 16:22:23

Thanks for the reading suggestions elegran Came across a few unfamiliar words in 'Death in a scarlet gown' and Kindle didn't know the meaning of them either!

annodomini Wed 07-Jun-17 17:02:52

Might be able to translate unfamiliar words for you, OG. I trust they didn't spoil your enjoyment of the book.

Elegran Wed 07-Jun-17 17:19:23

Post them on here, Oldgoat. It is always good to keep old words alive.