Gransnet forums

Meet ups/where are you?

Dovecot Tapestry studio mid-late May, early June?

(11 Posts)
Elegran Wed 17-Apr-19 10:32:27

At the Botanics, we saw an excellent exhibition of woven tapestries, which reminded me that the Dovecot Tapestry Studio, which used to be in Dovecot Roasd, Corstorphine, is now based in what used to be the municipal baths in Infirmary Street. There is a balcony round the workshop, from which it is possible to watch weaving happening.

The consensus was that a visit there could be interesting, combined with lunch, of course.

I have done some sussing out, and there is a choice.

It is free to look down on the studio from the Tapestry Studio Viewing Balcony - (Mon-Fri 12-3pm, Sat 10.30am-5.30pm)
Video of virtual tour at dovecotstudios.com/visit/group-visits/

Or a group guided tour - (Dovecot from Above) would cost £200 for 30 minutes for up to 20 people. Could be VERY good, if we could drum up enough people to keep the individual cost down. See dovecotstudios.com/visit/group-visits/

"This tour is led by one of Dovecot Tapestry Studio’s Weavers, giving you an unparalleled insight into Dovecot’s history and the weaver’s own experience. Held on our Tapestry Studio Viewing Balcony, this tour provides the opportunity to see a working tapestry studio and ask questions in real tim"

There is a cafe attached, but it is of the spinach and chickpeas persuasion, so I would vote for Mother India, just across the road from the baths. Very nice food (including curried spinach and chickpeas?) and friendly staff. www.motherindia.co.uk/index.php/a-la-carte-mic-e

weenanni59 Wed 17-Apr-19 19:09:46

I’m in Edinburgh the second week in June and would definitely go

Elegran Wed 17-Apr-19 19:43:15

Great, weeanni - that will be two of us!

GeminiJen Wed 17-Apr-19 19:59:10

Hi Elegran...Would love to.....Away mid May to mid June, but available June 17-27 if that's any use?.

Elegran Wed 17-Apr-19 20:30:28

I am not available from the 21st. It looks as though there are no days in June to suit all three of us. Could we do it in July? On the 3rd July, Elizabeth1 is organising a meet in St Andrews.

cascats Wed 17-Apr-19 23:02:04

Very much interested Elegran, but not yet sure of dates free at present as waiting for friend to make up mind on which coach trip she wants to go on in June ?. However will certainly come if can.

Elegran Thu 18-Apr-19 09:27:08

Dates are very much up in the air, Cascats, so watch this space!

oldgoat Tue 23-Apr-19 05:38:27

I'd like to join you at the Dovecote Tapestry Studios Elegran depending on the date of the visit. Late June or July would be best for me, please.

Elegran Tue 23-Apr-19 10:23:41

It is tricky to get a time when everyone can come. We have interest from weeanni, GeminiJen, Cascats, Oldgoat and me. I can't see us getting 20, or even near that, so the guided tour is probably out unless a lot of people add their names - and that is unlikely unless we have a firm date for the tour. Catch 22 - no date booked without numbers to justify it, no numbers without a date.

I have a friend who would like to come, so that would make five, and I know a couple of other people who might like it. Opening it up to non-GNers (friends and family) might bring it up to 20 or maybe 15 - or should we just settle for the free lean-over-the-balcony version?

Grammaretto Sun 12-May-19 18:14:01

I'm at a wedding abroad in early June and have visitors from 11th. Late June could be ok. I've never done the tour so would be interested.
Elizabeth1 is in hospital having had a stroke. See separate post from Marelli.sad

Elegran Fri 17-May-19 21:51:13

I don't think there will be enough of us to make the paid tour a viable option - £200 for up to 20 people only make financial sense if there are 20 of us (or nearly that number) That would be £10 each. If, say, there were ten of us, it would go up to £20 each, and even more if it were only half a dozen.

I think it makes sense for me to try to sort out a date that would suit all those who are interested, and we just observe from the balcony - I think there is information up on the walls to tell us what is going on.