Gransnet forums

Meet ups/where are you?

any one live in Louth or Alford

(13 Posts)
Melbourne1992 Sun 01-Sep-19 18:55:29

Does anyone live in the Lincolnshire wolds? We are thinking of retired there from Kent. Just wondered if anyone is from there or nearby?

sodapop Sun 01-Sep-19 21:48:37

My daughter lives in Alford, I know both towns fairly well.

callgirl1 Sun 01-Sep-19 23:06:39

There are several of us around Lincolnshire, we`ve just had a meet of 5 of us in Grantham. You`d be very welcome to join us if you move here.

Melbourne1992 Thu 05-Sep-19 19:26:24

sodapop that's very interesting that you know both areas. Would you say that Alford would be a nice place to retire to? We are looking for a small reasonably quiet town as we live in North Kent and it has become very over crowded and all the green spaces rapidly going. We would also like to be quite near the coast as we are now. Would you say that "us foreigners" lol would be accepted? I've heard Lincolnshire folk don't like outsiders lol Also your thoughts on Louth would be interesting! Also Sutton on Sea please!!

callgirl1 Thu 05-Sep-19 21:07:45

Melbourne, we landed here in Boston 42 years ago, never any sign of the locals not liking outsiders. We came from the Greater Manchester area, slightly less populated here! I can`t tell you much about Louth or Alford, have hardly been near either, only been to Sutton-on-Sea once, but there`s a great chippy there!

sodapop Thu 05-Sep-19 21:25:54

Not Sutton on Sea, bit of an old person's place. Alford is a pleasant small town with Drs, banks, chemist, small supermarket . It's a little run down though.
Louth is quite a busy market town, bigger than Alford of course. It has quite a lot of independent shops and bigger supermarkets.
I'm not sure about your comments on Lincolnshire folk, I think if you are prepared to meet people halfway they will do the same.

Lynker Thu 05-Sep-19 21:36:06

Hi Melbourne. We are also 'foreigners' and moved to Lincolnshire a couple of years ago and we absolutely love it. People are very friendly and welcoming. My son moved to Louth last year and they love it there. It is quite near both the coast and the wolds. It is an 'old fashioned' sort of place, with lots of independent speciality shops, cafes, restaurants and pubs. It also has a cinema, theatre, leisure centre and a hospital. It is about 40 minutes drive from the city of Lincoln, which is lovely.

Melbourne1992 Fri 06-Sep-19 07:29:17

Thank you for all your comments. We need to weigh up the pros and cons. We've got one son and Grandchildren who live near us, who we'll miss loads and one son in Australia who obviously we virtually never see. We so want to move away from the stresses of the south East but not sure if I can live without seeing our other son. Hope I didn't offend anyone about "Lincolnshire folk" I didn't mean it to come out in a rude way ?

Melbourne1992 Fri 06-Sep-19 07:31:26

Sodapop I don't mind if Sutton on Sea is a bit of an old peoples place, I'm one of them myself lol ?

CBBL Wed 11-Sep-19 11:36:00

Hi Melbourne1992 - I also moved to Lincolnshire (from West Yorkshire) and live in a small village four miles outside of Louth. My husband and I have been made very welcome and have lovely neighbours. Our Bungalow is currently up for sale - but only because we need to move to a cooler climate (hopefully, the North of Scotland) due to hubby's skin cancer and asthma. The heat of the last two summers has been unbearable for him. We have been confined to sitting in the house in front of electric fans. Even with this remedy, my hubby has still struggled with the heat and been short of breath. We have loved Lincolnshire and agree with Lynker about Louth. We also looked at property in Alford, but the seller didn't really want to move, so we had to pull out of that sale.

Blinko Wed 11-Sep-19 11:44:33

Friends moved near to Alford a couple of years ago from the West Midlands. By all accounts, they absolutely love it! Gentler pace of life, much less traffic to contend with, beautiful house and garden which might have been out of their reach elsewhere, only a few miles from the coast. What's not to like!

luluaugust Wed 11-Sep-19 14:12:23

I have visited Lincolnshire for about 50 years, loads of changes and building as everywhere else. I think if it was me I would prefer Louth, much more going on but Alford is lovely too. Depends how much you will be wanting to do. Neither has a railway station, so you would be driving most of the time. Are you sure you want to leave family? it is quite a way to go. By the way Sutton on Sea is great during the Summer and quiet during the Winter and do think about the East winds.

Essextowolds Mon 10-Aug-20 00:55:27

Hi Melbourne we are in a very similar position looking to move from Essex to either Alford or Louth. We've spent time in both towns and travelled around most of East Lindsey so happy to exchange info.