Gransnet forums

Meet ups/where are you?

Hi I just joined and am in ayrshire in scottieland

(72 Posts)
sparkytops Sun 22-Nov-20 14:10:39

Hello, I am in ayrshire, in scotland, and see most of the members seem to be in england, are there any members in scotland at all?? I lived in england for 25 years, bromley, dover, and horsham, all lovely places..but am in ayrshire and have been now for a few years...would be nice to know if there are any members semi near, so in better times we could possibly meet for a coffee and blether..but lockdown presently is tricky..stay safe everyone..

Marydoll Mon 23-Nov-20 14:44:48

I too lived in Troon, 35 years ago.
Sparkytops, once we get back to normal, perhaps you would like to join a Glesca Grannies meet up!

BlueBelle Mon 23-Nov-20 14:57:49

Welcome from me too I m not north of the border but wish to say have a good and long lasting visit to Gransnetland

Americanpie Mon 23-Nov-20 15:07:55

Welcome Sparkytops,
I am in Dunoon across the water I'm from Cheshire originally but my husband was born in Greenock so that is why we moved after retiring. Don't like the rain much or the midges but when the sun shines it is glorious.

SueDonim Mon 23-Nov-20 15:17:24

Hi, Sparkytops! I’m in rural NE Scotland. I’m not much on GN nowadays as life is busier again but I pop in now and then, often later at night.

baubles Mon 23-Nov-20 15:21:04

Meant to say how much I love Troon beach, we have often walked the dog there, it’s not too far from me. Great place for watching the windsurfers too.

rascal Mon 23-Nov-20 15:21:32

Hi sparklytops welcome. Here's another member from Scotland. I've lived in Argyll for many years. It's a beautiful part of Scotland. Originally I'm from Edinburgh. We had a Scotty called Mac when we were children, lovely Scottish Terrier. Enjoy the forum. smile

paddyanne Mon 23-Nov-20 18:46:14

No not Irish Sparkly born and raised in Glasgow,Just haven't ever heard anyone call Scotland scottieland ,thought it was an insult to be honest .I have an English neighbour who insists on saying scotchland ,even though he's been here for 30 years and knows full well what Scotch is

TopsyIrene06 Mon 23-Nov-20 18:54:08

Hi there. I came to Scotland 9 years ago from Norfolk and now live in the southside of Glasgow. I am greatly looking forward to meeting up with the Scottish ladies once things get back to normal hopefully next year. Many an hour is spent browsing the Gransnet website from which I have found such support, help and knowledge during a very difficult time this year for me and for which I shall forever be grateful. The ladies know who they are and have helped me to accept, understand and stay calm.

Marydoll Mon 23-Nov-20 19:26:59

There are a few new names here, who the Glesca Grannies, haven't met yet and you would be most welcome to join us, once we are able to do so.
Hopefully by the summer we will not have to worry so much about social distancing (am I being overly optimistic? ) and the weather will be better for those travelling down from up north.

We usually meet in the Concert Hall Café Bar at about 1pm, as it is close to the bus station, the subway and main railway stations. That gives the members coming down from Inverness or the East Coast time to get there.

The last time we had about seventeen from all airts and pairts of Scotland and had a great time catching up getting to know new members.

Something to look forward to.

Marydoll Mon 23-Nov-20 19:30:28

Americanpie, I spent many a happy week at Castle Toward with my pupils on an adventure holiday. I absolutely loved it and all the beautiful scenery.

The teachers sometimes used to cycle into Dunoon, but I never made it beyond Inellan, as my legs were so short and I had to have a child's bike! sad

diygran Mon 23-Nov-20 19:46:07

Good to hear from you Sparkytops.
I am in North East but we often travel to Ayrshire in summer. In camper van near Culzean Castle and at Ayr and Girvan sands last summer. Happy memories!

sparkytops Tue 24-Nov-20 11:53:15

Hi how lovely you have met some of the group, when times are better I would enjoy trotting up to glasgow and meeting some of you too, thank you for your kind comments I am glad I joined this forum

Jane10 Tue 24-Nov-20 14:52:55

You'd be welcome to 'trot' even further to Edinburgh once all this Covid business is over. We usually have a Christmas lunch and a Burns lunch plus various more cultural outings and forays further North at times. Zoom only these days though. sad

Charleygirl5 Tue 24-Nov-20 15:59:45

Welcome sparkytops. I was born and bred in Fife but came to London for a year in 1968 and it has been a long year.

GrannyBear Sat 05-Dec-20 14:58:57

Hi sparkytops I moved to Ayr a couple of months ago, so I’m not far from you in Troon. It would be good to have a meet-up down this way. I met up with the friendly -Glesca Grannies- last January. Hopefully 2021 will see us all able to see each other again.

Lomo123 Sat 19-Dec-20 08:27:50

Good Morning folks. Newbie here, just joined. Currently just outside Cumbernauld, hopefully when things get back to some kind of “normal”, I can meet up with some of you.

Kim19 Sat 19-Dec-20 08:38:38

Hello and welcome! I'm very impressed that you're working your way around this forum so speedily. I've been on here for a while now and still discovering topics daily. I think you'll find many Scots on here. They like to chat and are often pretty intelligent with it, I find!!

Marydoll Sat 19-Dec-20 08:40:13

Welcome, Lomo keep your eye out for the Glesca Grannies.
It will probably be nearer the summer before we organise something.

Marydoll Sat 19-Dec-20 08:41:25

Kim, I shall take that as a complement!!! ?

Marydoll Sat 19-Dec-20 08:56:58

Compliment!!!

Chewbacca Sat 19-Dec-20 09:34:49

and are often pretty intelligent with it, I find!!

How generous of you! grin

Ailidh Sat 19-Dec-20 09:36:22

I'm a proud Scot but have lived in England the last 60 years. Still got the accent though, at least, so the English say.

During the last couple of months I've been learnjng Gaelic with the duolingo app. Not that any of my family were Gaelic speakers, I just like languages.
However, the more I've learned, the more I've wanted to find out about my ain land's history (some optimistic looking presents from my brother via Amazon under the tree as we speak) and I'm planning a rail and ferry holiday to Scotland as soon as it's safe.

Born in Perth, BTW. Mum fae Perth, Dad fae Crieff ??

Lomo123 Sun 20-Dec-20 09:18:44

Thanks for lovely welcome. Marydoll, meet up with Glesga Grannies sounds great, If we,re ever allowed to meet up again!.

Marydoll Sun 20-Dec-20 09:28:09

Lomo we will! There is actually a gran living very near you. Also my mum was from around your way, I still have family there.

MawBe Sun 20-Dec-20 10:04:47

I think you'll find many Scots on here. They like to chat and are often pretty intelligent with it, I find!!

How patronising!