Gransnet forums

Meet ups/where are you?

Lyme Regis: any Gransnetters here?

(5 Posts)
Jaxie Wed 25-Nov-20 12:03:05

I would love to meet likeminded Grans in Lyme Regis. Any takers?

suziewoozie Wed 25-Nov-20 13:55:34

Sadly I’m not there but I love LR - very envious. I’ve had 3 holidays - two in a cottage on Marine Parade and one in Uplyme . The last one came with a beach hut on Marine Parade. <sigh>

Jaxie Wed 16-Dec-20 14:38:41

Don’t be envious, suziewoozie: Lyme Regis now becomes so over-crowded in the summer that locals avoid the town & the beach. Parking is a nightmare and “ normal” shops have been squeezed out by big chains which make Broad Street resemble any town in Britain. Traditional pubs have been made over into expensive eateries. Local people can’t afford houses as outsiders who come from more affluent areas have pushed the prices up, so if you are an incomer you sometimes experience resentment & unfriendliness from those who’ve lived in the town all their lives. Then there is the guilt: I live in this pretty town when others are stuck in urban tower blocks.

Ellianne Wed 16-Dec-20 15:28:33

Well I'm surprised you mention all those drawbacks Jaxie. I visited Lyme quite a few times this summer, parking was no problem and I enjoyed pottering round the little shops and galleries. We ate out a couple of evenings in an excellent restaurant, (chef was from River Cottage), and walked along the unspoilt Cobb.

Situpstraight2 Wed 16-Dec-20 15:30:29

I would love to be there too.