Gransnet forums

Meet ups/where are you?

Yorkshire born & bred

(104 Posts)
Madwoman11 Tue 29-Dec-20 05:39:55

Good morning from a Yorkshire lass who is up with the larks yet again this morning, and wondering how to keep myself entertained. I'm on my second cup of tea - the second of many lol.
A few chores soon, and then fill out my new diary with birthdays and so on.
Anyone else from West Yorkshire?

priestbridge Fri 12-May-23 16:34:12

I live in near York and I wondered if there are any meet ups coming up.

knowle52 Fri 12-May-23 14:19:25

Hello just wondered if there were any gransnetters who meet up in the west yorkshire area?

ShazzaKanazza Sun 19-Mar-23 16:43:51

I am York born and live in Hull I have never lived anywhere else but Yorkshire. I love it here though would really like to live in Beverley or back in York.

NorthowramGran Sun 19-Mar-23 14:39:54

Another Yorkshire lass here, Bradford born & bred but lived in Halifax for the last 17 years. Absolutely love Halifax, so much to see and do here. I couldn’t imagine living anywhere else.

Cabbie21 Sun 19-Mar-23 11:44:06

Not Yorkshire born and bred, but lived there for most of my adult life, though not in a pretty area. My children were born there. Now we have all migrated about 60 miles south of Leeds. Yorkshire is, for the most part, a beautiful part of the country. The people are warm and friendly and “tell it like it is.”

Whitewavemark2 Sun 19-Mar-23 11:28:21

My maternal grandfather was from a Yorkshire family - Howarth - weavers.

Can’t say I was very impressed with him though as after marrying my grandmother and producing my mother he went awol from the navy and ended up in Canada with his mistress, leaving grandmother and mother destitute. My grandmother never knew what happened only that he never returned from the navy. I have only learnt since the information has been available on line.

Farzanah Sun 19-Mar-23 11:22:16

I’m married to a Yorkshireman from Skipton, and both my sons were born in Bradford.
I am from Shropshire but did training in Bradford and Leeds, where I met OH, and we lived in Saltaire for years.

We’re in Shropshire now but I still miss Yorkshire, and we often visit, and love Salts Mill, which was still a working Mill when we lived there.

halfpint1 Sun 19-Mar-23 10:08:03

sodapop

I live not far from Limoges Dante65 still a Yorkshire lass at heart though.

Another Yorkshire lass, I live in the Auvergne, love both regions

Janny67 Sun 19-Mar-23 10:00:20

Huddersfield born, lived here till 20 then Germany, Thirsk and Colchester then back to Huddersfield. It’s always going to be home.

hulahoop Sat 18-Mar-23 22:49:45

I'm from West Yorkshire never moved away (boring I know) my son lives near Skipton my daughter lives near me ,I would like to move to coast but oh not bothered.

Oreo Sat 18-Mar-23 22:13:42

Once visited Scarborough for a holiday with DP, but guess that doesn't count😄
Just read this quite old thread for the fun of it and was interested in the places mentioned, maybe for a future visit.
Loads of names on here that don’t crop up now.

Wyllow3 Sat 18-Mar-23 21:58:49

Reubenblue

Another West Yorkshire girl here. Although retired to the coast in North Yorkshire now, living in beautiful Filey. Couldn’t be happier.

I find Filey fun to go back to, its hardly changed!

Wyllow3 Sat 18-Mar-23 21:57:55

Born and bred in Hull, now in the South bit of S Yorks via some time in Manchester..

Childhood holidays in Filey and Runswick Bay et al

Fave coastline around Robin Hoods Bay.

sodapop Sat 18-Mar-23 21:36:47

I live not far from Limoges Dante65 still a Yorkshire lass at heart though.

Reubenblue Sat 18-Mar-23 21:04:47

Another West Yorkshire girl here. Although retired to the coast in North Yorkshire now, living in beautiful Filey. Couldn’t be happier.

Nan231 Sat 18-Mar-23 20:18:30

Hope you don't mind me joining in.I'm Barnsley born and bred,so is hubby.
We live about a mile and half away from the town centre.

Greyduster Tue 02-Aug-22 07:16:22

Another Yorkshire lass here - Sheffield born and bred; travelled the world with my soldier husband and then settled in Sheffield, a stones throw from the Peak District. My son lives in York so he is keeping the Yorkshire tradition going! Pre-covid I used to meet up with some of our York GNs but we haven’t done it for a while.

Freespirit55 Tue 02-Aug-22 06:48:49

I’m originally from Ossett West Yorkshire, live over the border just near colne Lancashire. Still spend most of my time in the yorkshire dales. We have the added bonus of views from pendle hill and 3 peaked. I still meet up with an old school friend who I have known for 50 yrs wow can’t believe it’s been that long, she’s family to me now. We meet up in Leeds for a catch up quite often. I will always be a yorkshire lass

dante65 Thu 23-Jun-22 11:35:38

I am originally from Hull. I used to go to Brid and Scarborough for holidays as a child. My whole family still live in Hull

dante65 Thu 23-Jun-22 11:04:36

Hi there I live in France too where do you live exactly? I am in Le Rove Bouche du Rhone near Marseille

karinu Wed 02-Feb-22 11:57:39

I‘m from Hamburg originally, lived all over but have now returned to North Yorkshire, near Richmond. Any meet-ups in this area please?

jeanie99 Thu 06-Jan-22 23:37:11

Born in Sheffield lived there until I married when we moved into Derbyshire because the properties were less expensive.
We both worked in Sheffield and were there until we retired. We are now in Lincoln.
Sheffield has everything you could possibly want nearby and we still have our old friends there.
Yorkshire people are very friendly, I always say I can talk for Yorkshire.

Kateykrunch Sun 24-Oct-21 11:57:52

Hi Nicola, and welcome to you too. We must be near neighbours as I live in a little village near Barnsley and I am a Yorkshire Lass as well.

NicolaS69 Sun 24-Oct-21 11:06:00

Hi everyone, lovely to “meet” you. I’ve lived in Yorkshire for nearly 30 years. I’m welsh born, grew up in Bedford, met Dh at uni, then moved up here. We’ve lived in Ossett, before buying our first house in Upper Cumberworth, a village between Huddersfield, and Barnsley, then finally moving to Barnsley 5 years ago. Yorkshire is a wonderful county, with beautiful countryside and friendly people.

Whatdayisit Sun 12-Sep-21 23:51:19

I think your DIL was right Kateykrunch. The idyll is not fitting today.