Gransnet forums

Meet ups/where are you?

Lonely at the thought of Christmas.

(13 Posts)
LadySybil Sun 18-Dec-22 19:33:50

Not sure if this is under the right category. All the talk of Christmas and so called festive spirit filling me with dread and a sense of isolation and loneliness. Not just for Christmas but the new year and onwards. I have reduced my working hours due to getting older. Have good friends but they are all in couples. Would appreciate ideas for joining things and meeting people and getting out and about and feeling like I’m part of the human race the same as everyone else. So far have joined a woman’s group, fitness group, a political party and am volunteering. Thanks in advance.

Marydoll Sun 18-Dec-22 19:38:01

I'm so sorry about how you are feeling. It doesn't help, when so many on here are talking about family gatherings at Christmas.
This part of the forum is actually for meet ups of Gransnet members.

It's not going to help you at the moment, but look out for meet up threads in your area. I've made lots of friends that way.

LadySybil Sun 18-Dec-22 19:40:19

@Marydoll thank you for telling me

Norah Sun 18-Dec-22 20:38:13

I'm so sorry, the festive season can be difficult if loneliness sets in.

Perhaps buy yourself some special treats, have a few nice afternoons and evenings of treats and tea?

Or set aside time to watch a lovely musical programme or a movie (I like "Love Actually" & "Christmas Vacation" and I usually don't love films).

Maybe set aside a time certain to talk with friends or relatives on Monday?

Volunteer in a Church to childminding during busy services - children are a great distraction and say sweet funnies.

If you're comfortable walking, go on a soothing walk, perhaps with a friend's dog whilst the friend is busy (a gift to your friend). We have a lovely friend who occasionally takes our 3 dogs on walks - to be kind.

Blossoming Sun 18-Dec-22 20:47:12

I’m afraid I don’t have any advice to offer beyond what’s already been said, but I didn’t just want to read and pass by. I hope that things improve for you x

M0nica Sun 18-Dec-22 20:53:26

I assume from what you say that you will be alone on Christmas day. Could you possibly plan yourself a day of nothing but cosseting? Nothing but what pleases you best all day. Your favourite food, drink, books and DVDs

For one day throw caution to the winds and turn the heating up. Stay in your night attire all day, if it pleases you, but try to make it a day about your pleasure and comfort.

swampy1961 Sun 18-Dec-22 21:00:11

Do contact Age UK about a telephone befriender. They can often help people who would like some company all year round not just Christmas.
At the very least you would have someone to say hello to every so often.
My neighbour who is a widower treats the day as if it were a normal day. She has her horses to see to, her dog to walk and chats to her daughter in Canada almost daily and settles in to watch TV. All normal stuff for her except with a few twinkling lights around her and a box of chocs too.
People find their own way to deal with Christmas and to be fair plenty of people don't celebrate the day - treat it just like any other.
You sound like you have a good circle of friends and activities -it's just that it goes a little quiet for you at this time.
Do you have family or friends that you can arrange to meet for a coffee to break the holiday period up so it does not feel so long without companionship?

AreWeThereYet Sun 18-Dec-22 21:08:19

Agree with M0nica - if you want to stay in bed all morning, wrapped up, with a good book or film, that's what you do.

Make sure you have some nice things to eat, especially a nice meal that's really easy to prepare. It's important that you eat properly as well as all the 'luxury' stuff. If the sun shines go for a nice walk and admire the lights and decorations. Sit and people watch.

If you start to feel miserable just think of all the people all over the country trapped with family they don't like who would give a lot for some peace and quiet 😉 Sometimes we are inclined to think that everyone else is having fun when we have problems, but in reality for every person having a great time there is someone having a bad time.

And remember - it's just a couple of days, then everything is back to normal.

Hetty58 Sun 18-Dec-22 21:10:21

Maybe you could volunteer at a Christmas day event? An elderly neighbour always helped at the Salvation Army Christmas 'do' and thoroughly enjoyed it.

Ashcombe Sun 18-Dec-22 21:26:59

I sympathise with your predicament, especially as, like many folk, I spent Christmas, 2020 alone because of the Covid restrictions.

Looking beyond the immediate festivities, you might consider joining a local amdram group where volunteers backstage or front of house are always welcome. I retired to a new area 11 years ago and have found being part of a local theatre company rewarding and socially satisfying.

Good luck!

nadateturbe Sun 18-Dec-22 21:37:05

Ladysybil you might enjoy volunteering on Christmas day. My DD did one year when she was alone and had a great time. My OH plays music at a charity Christmas Dinner. It's for people who will be alone or can't manage to make dinner. I will happily spend the day at home alone.
Sounds like you've joined some interesting groups. Give yourself time to get to know people in the new year.

newnhera Sat 31-Dec-22 22:29:37

Hope you pulled through Christmas okay. If you ever just want to chat or talk to someone, you can send me a message. I recently retired and became an empty nester, so I've got plenty of time on my hand to talk about all things you might be interested in. Loneliness can be so painful

Jjanl Mon 16-Jan-23 09:14:48

Look for a u3a in your area. This is an organisation for people who are no longer in full time work. If you Google u3a you’ll find all the info you need. A u3a will have groups you can join, a monthly meeting and lots of people to get to know. It’s a great place for people who live on their own.