Gransnet forums

Meet ups/where are you?

how to trust online dating partner

(7 Posts)
jeemo Thu 02-Nov-23 13:35:13

If you've met someone online and you're planning to meet up for a date, it's natural to want to confirm their authenticity beforehand. Can you provide examples of reliable methods to confirm if the person I've been talking to online is genuine?

Sparklefizz Thu 02-Nov-23 14:27:49

Google and Facebook I would have thought.

Skydancer Thu 02-Nov-23 14:55:15

I'm not sure there are any. I think you need to message often as sometimes you can glean something from the way someone writes. You need to go into this with your eyes wide open as there are so many fraudsters out there. But don't be put off. Many people are shy and the internet makes it easy for them to meet others. Good luck.

pascal30 Thu 02-Nov-23 14:59:41

I would definitely expect to have some phone conversations first.. and then meet somewhere public and also tell someone where you are so they can ring you to check all is Ok/ or give you an excuse to leave..

Germanshepherdsmum Thu 02-Nov-23 15:12:58

You could try a reverse image search on Google to see if the picture on the dating website appears elsewhere. But as for being found by an ordinary Google search or via Facebook- you would have found me through Google when I was working, but not now, and I’m not on FB.

choughdancer Thu 02-Nov-23 15:17:44

I would definitely second pascal30's advice to let someone know where and when you are going.

AGAA4 Thu 02-Nov-23 15:27:35

If you agree to meet ask a friend to ring or text you at a certain time so if you feel you need to go you can tell your date something has cropped up and you have to leave.