Gransnet forums

Menopause

Post Menopausal bleeding

(19 Posts)
tingaloo Sat 14-Apr-12 21:02:54

I had my last period about six or seven years ago. I have just found that I am bleeding a tiny amount (smear of red and otherwise brownish gunk). I have an appointment anyway with my doctor on Thursday, so think it will keep 'til then. I'm sure its nothing - it can't be as I have too many committments to be ill myself - but I can't help feeling a little shaky, and then feeling guilty for feeling so, when I have others in my family who are unwell/in crisis.

granjura Sat 14-Apr-12 21:26:42

Post menopausal bleeding should always be investigated - so make sure you discuss it with your GP on Thursday, even if it has stopped by then. Better safe than sorry - most probably nothing, but take care.

greenmossgiel Sat 14-Apr-12 21:26:47

You must take care of yourself, nevertheless, tingaloo. To put your mind at rest before then, why not try to get an appointment before Thursday? You're bound to feel a bit shaky - when you've always been the one to keep things going, and now you feel a bit vulnerable. Don't feel guilty. And if you don't feel as if you want to mention it to your family, keep chatting to us on here. smile xx

jeni Sat 14-Apr-12 21:38:34

I agree! It must always be investigated!

tingaloo Sat 14-Apr-12 22:08:50

Thanks for your replies. I did think of going for an earlier appointment, but it wouldn't be with the one doctor at the practise (practice?? I have a complete mental block with this, no matter how many times I have been told!!) who knows me, my medical history and my family circumstances. So I'll wait until Thursday. From Monday, work will keep me so busy that I won't have time to think too much. My brain is telling me its probably nothing - I've had loads of health scares in various departments over the years, and every time things have been okay or treatable. Just tomorrow and the nights to get through.

susiecb Sun 15-Apr-12 11:18:08

tinga do please keep that appointment it may be nothing at all but its best to be sure. I had it but it was only a small cyst easily dealt with. Hope all goes OK .

glammanana Sun 15-Apr-12 11:53:18

tinga make sure that you keep the appointment even if you feel well by the time Thursday arrives.keep us updated flowers

FlicketyB Sun 15-Apr-12 12:17:28

Tinga, having other members of your family ill or in crisis is a quite separate issue from your own health worries. Do not link them and feel guilty that you have problems when others also have problems. You didnt inflict your symptoms on yourself. Neither should your problems be ignored until their problems have been solved. Your health and welfare is just as important as that of everybody else in your family.

Whatever the cause of your symptoms the sooner the cause is known the quicker and easier it is to treat. Waiting to see a doctor who knows you and your family will I think be best. Apart from anything else you will feel more comfortable with him. Hope all goes well

littlemo Sun 15-Apr-12 17:05:50

Hi Tinga, I know you are worried and are doing the right thing in going to your doctor asap. I had the same thing a couple of years ago, went for various tests and was finally diagnosed with a polyp in the womb. I had day surgery to have it removed and have been fine since. I was anxious at the time and all sorts of things went through my head but as others have said the sooner you get checked out the better. I now know that post menopausal bleeding can be caused by several very simple things. I wish you well and hope your condition can be as easily treated as mine.

Cressida Sun 15-Apr-12 20:23:21

Tingaloo, you're right to get it investigated. You will probably be referred to a gynaecologist for investigations. Don't be alarmed if they give you an appointment to be seen very quickly as some areas (like mine) seem very hot on post-menopausal bleeding even if it's only a tiny amount.

Not long ago I went to my GP with a tiny blood loss and got a phone call from the hospital the following day with an appointment for the following week. Like littlemo I had a polyp which was removed exactly 8 weeks to the day from seeing my GP.

It was the second polyp I've had removed. The first time I'd thought the spotting was due to the menopause so didn't bother seeing my GP and ended up bleeding heavily which didn't stop until I was prescribed norethisterone.

Anagram Sun 15-Apr-12 20:32:46

I can only reiterate the advice already given, tingaloo. I certainly hope it's nothing serious. I think it's wonderful that one can ask for help with a problem on this forum and get so many supportive responses.

yogagran Sun 15-Apr-12 21:18:27

You're right anagram - it's so very useful and helpful to ask for advice from others who have been through similar problems.
Don't know how we all managed before last summer when GN was born

jeni Sun 15-Apr-12 21:59:43

smile

tingaloo Tue 17-Apr-12 18:35:19

Thanks again everyone, for your support and advice. I agree, it is great to be able to air worries on forums like this, rather than burden/bore family and friends, or keep it quiet and have them wonder why you're being grumpy or a bit distant.
I saw the doctor today (managed to get an earlier appointment with my preferred doctor as I have a nasty bacterial infection in my eyes - sooo painful and hag-looking). I'm completely confused by the GPs booking system as last week I was assured that Thursday would be the earliest I could see him, and even then it was because they were doing me a favour!! This morning, they tried to palm me off on a locum, and all I had to say was "Oh, I don't know that doctor," when BINGO, I was offered the doctor and time I wanted.
Lesson learned: be a bit more assertive.
Anyway, I have been referred to the local gynae department, and should have an appointment in 2 weeks. The bleeding stopped after a couple of days, and I'm feeling a lot more positive (especially as I have something else to moan about!!).

greenmossgiel Tue 17-Apr-12 18:45:51

That's good that things are in place for you to be thoroughly checked, tingaloo. The new appointment fell into place nicely, so hopefully when you get the gynae one, you won't have to wait too long before seeing the consultant. Hope your poor eye improves soon!

nannabo Sun 06-May-12 18:44:29

Hi I have just had a bout of this. After 2 years without a period I have had the same thing four times in 3 months. Have to go and have it checked out at the hospital on the 16th so will let you know what they say.

Anagram Sun 06-May-12 18:57:52

Hope everything's OK nannabo. Please do let us know how you get on - it's frustrating when we don't find out what happened after someone's posted about a particular problem! smile

greenmossgiel Sun 06-May-12 19:02:38

Let us know, nannabo? Hope all goes well for you. smile

Annobel Sun 06-May-12 19:12:03

It happened to me after I'd been period-free for about two years and when I had had stressful time moving house. After a D&C showed no problems, it was considered that stress had been a contributory factor.