Gransnet forums

Menopause

Menopausal Migraine

(9 Posts)
Antjexix Thu 26-May-16 12:00:23

I'm pretty sure that I'm starting my menopause or I'm at least perimenopausal. My periods stopped about a year ago but I still get the symptoms. I had quite a few night sweats and hot flushes but the migraines are just horrendus. I spent all yesterday in bed again with severe headache,dizziness and feeling extremely tired (I slept nearly all day and all night!!). I have made an appointment to see my doctor for a blood test but does anybody have any tips to combat these headaches? Thankfully it was my day off yesterday but it's a nightmare going to work with migraine. I'm 45 by the way. Any advice would be greatly recieved.

Tizliz Thu 26-May-16 12:16:53

I take sumatriptan for my migraines. They work well if you take them in time, which with me is often 4 am. I often have to force myself out of bed to take one but I haven't had a whole day migraine for about a year now so I am getting good at recognising the early symptoms.

You have to find a sympathetic doctor who will prescribe enough pills - sometimes a packet a month is not enough and you want to be able to take one sometimes just in case.

You can get something you take every day (can't remember what it was) but it slowed me down too much.

Good luck, I really sympathise.

Antjexix Thu 26-May-16 12:18:29

Thank you. Are these prescription I take it?

Tizliz Thu 26-May-16 12:24:59

You can buy it without a prescription but from a pharmacy only and after a consultation and is expensive. Just as easy to go to the doctors.

Tizliz Thu 26-May-16 12:27:08

Actually I think that is just a private prescription, is is prescription only

PRINTMISS Thu 26-May-16 12:34:56

My favourite for stopping the awful nausea I felt with my migraines was a piece of sharp cooking apple dipped in sugar - I know it sounds really strange, but it settled the stomach, and the dizziness, after which I found that I could just take an over-the-counter remedy - probably lucky that I found one which suited. Perhaps though, you do not suffer from nausea so that is not much help, Sorry!

Antjexix Thu 26-May-16 12:36:33

I do suffer from nausea so will have to try that too. Thank you.

Tizliz Thu 26-May-16 12:48:16

Lucky I no longer have bad nausea, I had to have to take something for that. I sometimes get strange vision. It is very strange but my migraines only started after my hysterectomy, presume they are hormone driven.

Antjexix Thu 26-May-16 12:50:51

Appearantly your Ostrogen level drops as you start menopause which brings on the migraines...or something like it.