Gransnet forums

Menopause

HRT for those who have heart disease?

(2 Posts)
wildrose Mon 13-Jun-16 18:42:13

Hello, just a quick question before I decide whether or not to speak to my GP about this. I wonder whether any of you have taken HRT despite being diagnosed with heart disease? I have angina though my last attack was more than 5 years ago and 50% narrowing of my arteries. A family history of heart problems has made me address my lifestyle and I have lost weight, exercise regularly (albeit fairly gently due to my rheumatoid disease) and have all but given up alcohol. I am almost 60 and have never been a smoker. Having completed an online questionnaire relating to menopause it seems that HRT would help with a lot of the symptoms I have. They are really affecting my day to day life now so I have decided to broach the subject with my GP. I believe a diagnosis of heart disease is a given as a contraindication but am curious to hear how others got on if you were prescribed HRT in similar circumstances.

Rose

TriciaF Tue 14-Jun-16 09:06:39

I've had heart problems similar to yours and take HRT.
It depends on what kind of HRT I think. I believe there's a bigger range of alternatives now, so your doctor should be able to advise.
My gynae. problem led to frequent urine infections, needing antibiotics, so anything was better than that.