Gransnet forums

Menopause

Magic virus

(7 Posts)
Wannabegran Mon 13-Feb-17 19:54:55

When I have a bad virus or cold all my hot flushes stop. Brilliant! On the other hand as soon as I perk up and start getting better all the hot flushes are back. Horror...aaaargh.
Has anyone else had this experience?

Antonia Mon 13-Feb-17 20:48:18

I never had this experience. All I can think of is that your body is kind of 'redirecting' hormones or whatever to deal with the virus and when that is taken care of, they go back to providing hot flushes. I am sure lots of more savvy gransnetters will have a better explanation for this than my simplistic take on it! In any case, the hot flushes should diminish or stop over time.

Ankers Mon 13-Feb-17 21:25:32

No, but I always worse this time of year.
Though I am a lot better since I cut out, or down, on milk until the afternoon.

Wannabegran Wed 15-Feb-17 18:24:47

Thanks. Perhaps I'm just odd. Now I'm getting better the odd flush or two is breaking through but perhaps they are waning ( At last!). Still if anyone else out there has experienced this, I'd be happy to know I'm not alone.

vampirequeen Wed 15-Feb-17 19:59:51

I've only had this when I've had the kind of illness where no matter how hot it is you still feel really cold. Otherwise I usually glow even more than usual.

hildajenniJ Thu 16-Feb-17 10:05:13

When I go to stay with DD and her family I don't have hot flushes. At their house they eat a vegan, gluten free diet, so I think it has something to do with that. My husband won't entertain the idea of changing his diet though, so at home I'm hot!!!

Sparklefizz Thu 16-Feb-17 10:56:04

hilda It would be easy for you to go gluten-free and for your husband to stay on the same diet. It might make all the difference to you, and what is the point of suffering?