Gransnet forums

Menopause

Coming off HRT

(3 Posts)
Carol1ne63 Thu 16-Mar-17 19:10:24

Wondering if anyone has had a similar experience and can give me some advice please. I take Elleste Duet HRT which gives me a monthly bleed. I've been on it nearly seven years to control flushes and moods. I'm 54. No history of breast cancer in family. GP has advised me to wean myself off it and go for a no-bleed preparation if I feel I need still need HRT. She says that my periods may have stopped but that this could be being masked by the HRT which allows monthly bleeds so I could actually be through the menopause but not know it.
She advised to take my HRT every second day. I've started this, am 4 days into it and already had breakthrough bleeding.
Anyone else had this experience? I'm frightened to go cold turkey incase my flushes and moods come back with a vengeance.

Welshwife Thu 16-Mar-17 19:32:44

I took a two pill HRT for a few years and then when the single pill treatment came out I went to the GP and asked for the blood test to see if I had stopped my natural periods - I was 53. It was just a blood test - I had finished so I simply changed over but had intermittent bleeding for a few months and then it all stopped. I took the single pill for about 15 years.

Carol1ne63 Thu 16-Mar-17 19:38:41

Oh right! Thanks Welshwife. I'll maybe go back and ask for a blood test.And you had the intermittent bleeding. Ok. That's good to know. Thanks for getting in touch smile