Gransnet forums

Menopause

Perimenopausal???

(23 Posts)
maddy629 Wed 16-Aug-17 07:47:08

watermeadow you are very lucky not to have had either Perimenopause or PMT. I had birth control pills when I was young and fertile as I didn't want any more children and I am still on HRT.
I'm sorry that you feel the NHS advice is out of date and I wonder what you do when you need medical help.

maddy629 Wed 16-Aug-17 07:41:23

Alicej1209 I never had spotting but I can certainly relate to the perimenopause with it's problems, hormone imbalance, a feeling of detachment etc. I had a hysterectomy and was put on HRT. I feel so much better, wouldn't change a thing. I hope you feel better soon.

watermeadow Tue 15-Aug-17 18:34:43

Perimenopause and PMT didn't exist when I was younger and luckily I never had either. The greater openness about our bodies is good, too many old woman know next to nothing about how they work or what is normal.
Birth control pills and HRT were given out like Smarties (as Statins are now) and I'm so glad I was cautious and never took them. My belief is, if the NHS recommends something it's best avoided. Their advice is often very out of date.

W11girl Tue 15-Aug-17 08:01:23

Yes, poppsbaggie...it is claimed that HRT does protect against Osteoporois and hair thinning! Wish I hadn't stopped taking it, at the time of the scares...as I now have both conditions in my early 60's.

M0nica Mon 14-Aug-17 17:35:35

In my case the spotting was fibroids. I didn't have them removed because, with the end of the menopause they shrink and disappear.

Morgana Mon 14-Aug-17 17:22:58

I became anxious, depressed and extremely emotional when going into the menopause. Thank goodness those years r over! There are some advantages in growing old!

tubbygran Mon 14-Aug-17 15:26:05

mags1234 Good advice on both counts. Feeling 'distant ' is part of anxiety and is called 'depersonalisation' I think.
I can recommend At Last a Life by Paul David for anyone who suffers from anxiety. I have been on HRT for 28years (after a total hysterectomy) and found it very beneficial, but everyone is different.

lovebeigecardigans1955 Mon 14-Aug-17 13:21:23

It sounds very much like the perimenopause to me. I had similar and in the end the doctor prescribed some tablets which 'lightened the load' and made life bearable again.
Now it's all over, thank goodness. I wouldn't have periods again for all the tea in China.

palliser65 Mon 14-Aug-17 12:07:06

That sounds familiar. I did have an endometrial resection to sort things out as the flood was more a haemorrage!! I'm 63 now and my las period was 9 years ago (thankfully). Please have blood test as you could very possibly be anaemic. I certainly was and had many of your symptoms. The detachedness I felt as a grey veil over everything. All went after a course of iron tablets.

Lupatria Mon 14-Aug-17 12:06:59

don't want to worry you at all but several years ago i had spotting mid-cycle. i went to the doctor and he prescribed tablets to stop it and i then went on to have my normal period two weeks later.
it happened again a few months later and i got the tablets again but i also got a referral to the hospital.
after examination and an ultra sound scan i was admitted to hospital for an operation. they found that i had ovarian cancer at a very early stage so i had a total hysterectomy. as the surgeon said "we've removed the nursery but you've still got the playground"!!
that put me straight into and i've been on hrt ever since [22 years ago] but i had a c125 blood test every year for 10 years until i was discharged from the hospital.
i know that it doesn't always develop into ovarian cancer but perhaps it's something to ask your doctor about - just to be on the safe side.

mags1234 Mon 14-Aug-17 12:02:09

I know anxiety can cause distancing. I've been there, I recommend hrt and a gp u can relate to.

Poppsbaggie Mon 14-Aug-17 11:42:12

Thanks paddyann. Nearly 70 so perhaps too late to try it again. I thought HRT protected against bone disease?

Bluebe11 Mon 14-Aug-17 11:42:07

Have been in same situation, had a hysterectomy then on HRT which made me feel so much better. We all get aches and niggles as we get older and at times worry ourselves something is wrong. I didn't want to go to the Dr with every ache etc as I so hate taking pills. So I started writing things in my diary to check on frequency i.e. Tinnitus, restless legs, dry bits ! Etc. Then the next time I went for an annual check up I discussed repetitive issues and had my mind put at ease.

Marianne1953 Mon 14-Aug-17 11:35:51

I had this at 48 and after all the checks, including a D & C, was given some hormone pills to take for about 3 months and it sorted it . I am presuming it was the start of peri menopause, however, I hardly had any other menopausal problems and finished at the ripe old age of 58.

Daisydoo2 Mon 14-Aug-17 11:18:15

Sounds pretty similar to my experience. Had anxiety, flooding, detachment and others. Perhaps you should get your ferritin blood test done, low ferritin can make you feel odd, along with a vitamin d blood test which can also affect mood. Both mine were low and the problem rectified. That was a few years ago and now feel really well... with a little help with oestrogen cream for my dry bits... which is another story! Really.. it does get better. X

gillybob Mon 14-Aug-17 11:13:24

I can totally relate to what you are going through Alice and experienced similar up until less than a year ago (I'm 55). Bleeding for weeks on end then spotting then bleeding again etc. All the usual menopausal symptoms but GP saying I was still peri-menopausal. It took me a long time to convince a GP within the practise to prescribe me HRT which has finally settled some of the worst symptoms.

Caroline123 Mon 14-Aug-17 11:07:42

Worth a chat with your GP. Pre menopause or menopause often send hormones all off key, not just our lady hormones!
The Dr can check loads on a blood test.if they all come back normal I'd give a decent multivitamin a try for a couple of months and carry on if they help, they certainly won't do any harm.
Some people sail through the menopause,but not all of us. Good luck!

paddyann Mon 14-Aug-17 10:39:00

Poppsbaggie HRT can be precribed for life nowadays,the risks are far lower than the benefits ..for most people .

LJP1 Mon 14-Aug-17 10:23:30

Have you thought you might be low on blood sugar? It can happen just after you have eaten a meal when food is being digested but the rise in blood sugar has not yet got underway. It can also happen late morning & afternoon; a cup of tea with milk will tide you over.

Poppsbaggie Mon 14-Aug-17 10:20:34

Hi Alice

I had exactly the same symptons at the same age. A blood test confirmed I was perimenopausal and prescribed HRT, which I happily took for over ten years. Not recommended now I know, but get a blood test to put your mind at rest. Good luck.

GailJ Mon 14-Aug-17 00:20:13

Hi Alicej1209
I'm almost 52 and feel detatched.
I had a hysterectomy 5 years ago so I don't suffer with any bleeding (thank goodness)
Did you suffer with anxiety before?
I'm certain you don't have a horrible disease - You're just feeling a little weird because your hormones are unbalanced.
You're not alone - I'd recommend walking and swimming, try to keep active and perhaps some meditation to help with keeping you feeling grounded and focused.
Try to avoid getting yourself into a cycle of feeling stressed - in my experience it only serves to reinforce stress.
Are you very busy or do you have time for mindfulness?

rosie1959 Sun 13-Aug-17 07:08:59

Sounds pretty similar to my experience About a week of spotting then a great big flood lovely!
Periods now further apart went six months with nothing then had two months similar but much lighter Expecting them to give up eventually as I am nearly 59 My mum and grandmother when on till 60 so seems quite usual
Odd aches and pains as well
Admittingly I am not an anxious person and have taken it all as nature's way of readjustment

Alicej1209 Sun 13-Aug-17 00:30:41

Hi,

I am 49 years old and for the last 3 months ( always around my ovulation time), I have had spotting. It's never heavy but lasts almost until my period starts. When period does come they have been heavier with more clots. Also I sometimes feel like I permanently have oeriod symptoms, more fatigued, sore back, more on edge.

I had a Pap test last month and that was clear, I also have an ultrascan about 6 months ago and besides some normal cysts my ovaries looked fine.

I already suffer from anxiety and this has sent it sky high. I'm convincing myself I have some horrible disease..?

I've also been feeling somewhat more detached lately... but I don't know if that's because I'm stressing even more than normal.

Any advice or thoughts would be greatly appreciated!

--

Hello. This thread is a little old now. Take a look at our perimenopause symptoms and treatment page for more up-to-date advice. GNHQ.