Gransnet forums

Menopause

Peri and kliofem

(2 Posts)
jojoka1963 Fri 13-Oct-17 06:01:09

Hello all
I'm new to the site and am looking for anyone who may have been prescribed Kliofem HRT during perimenopause.
I'm 53 and recently went to my GP with symptoms and she prescribed them, but on researching them, it seems that it is used for only women who are in full meno, that have not had a period for at least 12 months! I am pretty much still regular, with only 3 missed in a year. I did try Elleste Duet about 2 years ago but it never had any effect after 3 months so decided to go cold turkey! My symptoms have since increased with low mood, irritability,anxiety, nil sex drive, joint discomfort, vaginal dryness, thrush.......
I don't rally want to go back and question her choice of medication (she already muttered, "Self diagnosis", at me when I said I had perimeno symptoms!), but as Kliofem is a drug for full meno, I am concerned it may be the wrong one for me.
Thank you for listening grin

Volvariella Mon 13-Nov-17 17:30:26

You didn't get an answer but yes you are right and your doctor is wrong. You should be given one for peri-menopause which gives a withdrawal bleed. It's also quite a high dose one - women are usually started on lower dose preparations especially in early peri-menopause like you are.They are all listed on Menopause Matters website. Have you started them yet? It just means that your bleeds may well be sporadic and it might not work as well as the other types.