Gransnet forums

Menopause

Menopause and SKIN!!

(6 Posts)
Goody2Shoes Thu 19-Oct-17 20:02:33

Hi everyone. This is a bit lengthy, but I'm wondering if anyone has any info/advice at all for this..?
I'm one year into the menopause. Can never work out if I'm peri or actually 'out the other sidey'. All I know is for the past year my Eczema has EXPLODED with rage. At first I experienced hot moments (not sweats) and they were so extreme they'd wake me 2/3 times a night. 'Oh, it's the menopause' I thought. But the heat episodes started me scratching.
For the first 12yrs of my life, I suffered from Acute Atopic Eczema. My entire body was covered in it and I scratched constantly. Then puberty brought hormones...and I lived the next 40 years as a 'normal' person with normal skin. Now I assume I've lost that magical hormone, and I'm falling to bits. I've been on 3 types of HRT trying desperately to get that hormone back...but it's not working.
I'm itchy ALL the time. My back, my scalp, my arms, my legs, my ear holes...the skin around my vagina (it's hard scratching your vajay-jay). My skin has thinned and I'm breaking it much, much easier than I did as a child.
I wake up itchy and take ages to calm down, I scratch in my sleep and wake up raw. My hands get infected (weeping eczema) and I do the topical antibiotics, but my job is not one where I can wear gloves (which makes me itchy anyway!) and so, I get infected again. It took 4 months to get to see a Dermatologist who prescribed a raft of steroids which is at least stopping my face from swelling but nothing, nothing stops the itch. I did get a blood test last year (when this all started) and all the GP said was that they confirmed I was going through the menopause. It's not an allergy, it's not the type of washing powder I'm using, it's not mites or scabies, it's the bloody menopause. It's really only me that's realised it's the lack of hormone that's fired up my skin.
I feel this is it for me. I'm only 53 and I could be scratching for the rest of my life.
Has anyone suffered an increase in their Eczema while going through the menopause? Did it stop once it's over? I eat a Paleo diet (high protein/fat, no caffiene, no processed foods/no grains) and I'm slim. TIA for any thoughts. ...or sympathy. Hell, I'll take anything.

hildajenniJ Thu 19-Oct-17 21:04:44

I empathize completely. I never suffered from eczema, but always had dry skin. When I hit the menopause I developed patches of really itchy eczema on my wrists, ankles, shins and feet. I also thought it might be an allergy so I changed to non bio washing liquid, stopped using fabric softener all to no avail. I have found an answer though, all through having grandsons with XLI. They are prescribed different lotions, and I found immense relief after applying their Aveeno cream. I bought my own and have been applying it ever since, every morning after my shower. It's much better now, but I keep up with the Aveeno as it is keeping my skin so beautifully smooth.

paddyann Thu 19-Oct-17 23:57:52

I get the itch and scratch in my sleep too ,I take an antihistamine for it,its doesn't always take it away but it does make it easier to live with .

Volvariella Mon 13-Nov-17 17:33:44

You are deemed to have reached menopause when you have been 12 months without a period and the date is then i year ago. If you have a Mirena or no womb or mini pill so don;t get periods then you won't know whether you are out the other side or not. if you are getting hot flushes and sweats then HRT is the best treatment but also in any case you would benefit from vaginal oestrogen for those lady bits. The treatments are listed on Menopause Matters website.

vampirequeen Mon 13-Nov-17 19:09:11

Are you taking any meds for the allergies? I developed a range of allergies during the menopause. I now take 180mg of Fexofenadine every day (on prescription) and gunge myself with emollient (also on prescription) as and when.

Menopaws Mon 13-Nov-17 19:21:23

I developed a mountain type skin on my cheeks esp but was given antibiotics reluctantly but gave in and they worked brilliantly and have since settled down but it was horrible at the time and makeup just didn't work