Gransnet forums

Menopause

menopause peroxide oh no!

(38 Posts)
ifcatsruledtheworld Wed 24-Jan-18 19:18:29

Hello

I’m new so I hope this question appears in the right place.

Has anyone had experience of a ‘normal for them’ hair dying routine starting to seriously mess up their hair during menopause or peri?

I’m only doing what I always have and my hair is just breaking. I’m being so much more careful than I ever have regarding length of time and overlapping but it isn’t going well. My hair is still breaking! I’ve onky got about a third of what I had anyway.

Has anyone else experienced this? If so what did you do? I feel like shaving the lot off!

Mylisa Thu 19-Sep-19 13:22:55

Most useful thread, love to start from here. regarding haircare and thickness, and looking for some shiny hair, I love to go for hair dye or for bleach hair. These normally sticks us with a dilemma of chemical use. No worries. Need to know about bleach hair will help you out.

lemongrove Tue 20-Feb-18 20:08:46

Hello ifcats why not have some lowlights by foils done,
This will give a more natural look to your hair, and hair does look thicker with highlights and lowlights in, rather than a flat all over colour.No root problems that way either.
After colouring use a leave in conditioner spray, they are less heavy and help protect hair when styling.

Quietdragon Tue 20-Feb-18 18:46:23

ifcatsruledtheworld I could have wrote your post as I relate so much.
I have always had foil highlights without problem but then menopause came and I had tumble weeds of my hair blowing round the house sad
My hair was coarse and wiry where it was previously soft as well and tangled-I dreaded washing it.
I used Plantur 39 Phyto-Caffeine Shampoo and Conditioner for Fine and Brittle Hair + Phyto Caffeine Tonic it is for menopausal hair and I noticed a dramatic improvement in my hair.

GabriellaG Fri 26-Jan-18 00:14:29

janeainsworth

There probably isn't a rule 're comments about other posts, however, you were making a comment about me being rude. What is rude about saying that an article is rubbish...which indeed it is if the same one as in your link. There was no allusion to the poster.
If you think that's rude...lol.

janeainsworth Thu 25-Jan-18 21:27:19

I thought it might have been this one gabriella
www.google.co.uk/amp/www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-4781352/amp/Letting-hair-dry-naturally-WORSE-using-hairdryer.html
It is flawed, because the ‘scientist’ involved works for the company whose hair dryers he is promoting.
I thought your remark to hm99 was very rude.
As far as I’m aware, there isn’t a Gransnet rule stopping posters making observations about other posts, whoever that post might have been addressed to.

GabriellaG Thu 25-Jan-18 21:14:06

smile

GabriellaG Thu 25-Jan-18 21:13:18

janeainsworth

Not a good idea to take up someone else's cause when the op to whose comment I referred, didn't complain. That person didn't back up their assertion either. Did you take her to task? Here is an article which may (or may not) be the one in question. From 2012, it was a study in KOREA with an unknown number of participants and written up by a medic from a clinic in Toronto. Korean hair is nothing like Caucasian hair and the study found that it's best to let hair (Korean) hair AIR dry 70/80% etc. No link to article but screenshot of page you can find if you wish.
My comment wasn't rude. I said the ARTICLE was rubbish.

Grannyknot Thu 25-Jan-18 18:33:03

"Menopause peroxide" caught my eye because I'm reading a book where the one character is described as having a "menopause bob" (hairstyle). I hastily checked mine. grin

(Sorry off topic).

ifcatsruledtheworld Thu 25-Jan-18 18:17:44

Womble I know you are right. I recently had a bit of a bad experience with a very young locum at our surgery and if I could only book without a HUGE wait for my own fantastic GP. But yes I hear you, but I don’t have the symtoms of hypo or hyper and in a way both.

I am glad they found out what was causing your problems in the end.

Overthehills Thu 25-Jan-18 18:15:00

Mmmm - just what I was thinking Janeainsworth.

ifcatsruledtheworld Thu 25-Jan-18 17:41:17

Oh Boolya. This is the silly thing. I keep thinking ‘it’s just hair!!’

My poor uncle has just spent almost 6 months on his back due to horrible back ache.

I bet you are very good at Wigs by now

xx

Alexa Thu 25-Jan-18 17:01:52

Womble54 wrote:

"My then GP fobbed me off with antidepressants, and I struggled on for several years before being diagnosed with a hypothyroid condition - I shall be on tablets for life, but once on them I started to feel "normal" again (or what passes for normal with me)! Might be worth getting this checked out, as the condition is notoriously underdiagnosed."

I feel discouraged to learn that a GP was so ignorant about hypothydoidism as perhaps the most obvious sign of it is a middle- aged woman's thinning hair.

LizHand Thu 25-Jan-18 16:52:48

just been to hairdresser and in past 6 months have become an olaplex fan..involves a salon treatment with my 6 weekly colour and once a wk overnight mask at home. Colour lasts longer, hair stronger, shinier and no fizz 10 yrs post meno.

Boolya Thu 25-Jan-18 16:49:16

Oh how I wish I had some hair to worry about! Have had to wear a wig since 1987. At least I don't have to shave underarms or legs!

janeainsworth Thu 25-Jan-18 16:38:39

gabriella
That article was total rubbish
Do try to be more polite when refuting other posters’ suggestions and preferably back your own assertions with evidence.

Cambia Thu 25-Jan-18 16:29:53

My nails were atrocious, so I started to take Biotin just once a day. They are lots stronger now but I have noticed that the plus is that my hair is healthier too. Dont think quite so much is going down the plug hole when I wash it and it feels shiny and healthy. Takes a little while to work but I am definitely carrying on with them.

ifcatsruledtheworld Thu 25-Jan-18 16:08:46

Hello Lesley. Do you know of any makes? My hair ‘was’ lilac and I use directions (over peroxide) which is totally plant based. However when I look for normal colours like this they just don’t seem to be out there. My mom uses a very dark directions purple which I wouldn’t need bleach for but I have been looking for normal colours too. Any brand names would be welcome

lesley4357 Thu 25-Jan-18 14:28:04

Thinning hair/hair loss v common in menopause. Try not to bleach it or use dryer/straighteners so often. There are plant based dyes available that don't contain bleach.

Eloethan Thu 25-Jan-18 13:26:42

Sadly, I think hair tends to get less plentiful and lusrous with age. Mine became very frizzy and dull. I buy hair tablets from Holland and Barratt, which I think help. I've also just got a new hairdryer which is ionic. I'm not quite sure what that means, and initially I felt it "flattened" my hair, but now my hair seems much smoother, and not at all frizzy.

I think highlights a kinder on the hair than overall bleaching.

minxie Thu 25-Jan-18 13:18:53

Me to, so I went to a hairdresser to get it done properly and it’s a lot better. It cost more obviously but looking good doesn’t come cheap the older you get

ifcatsruledtheworld Thu 25-Jan-18 13:14:55

Oh my goodness you are all so helpful. Maggie May I think this is where I’m going... Stopping the bleach totally. And Rizlet it’s reassuring to hear it happened ‘once’ and you are through it as right now I feel as though I am on the road to a bad thing forever with no recovery.

Gabriella thank you some good advice!

The thing is you sort of hear about these things but no one has ever said to me “beware the meno as your hair will become too frail to bleach”. Like they don’t tell you that all your eyebrows will fall out either! What joy. I keep telling myself it’s only hair and not health.

Interesting comment re thyroid too. I did however do a saliva and serum estradiol and progesterone test before I went on hrt and my estradiol was incredibly low.

It’s really interesting to hear how you all have dealt with it. Yep I can feel a mousey and grey bob coming on.

Those of you who got through it? How long did the hair issues go on?

sweetcakes Thu 25-Jan-18 12:59:29

Try a course of vitamin D my daughter in laws hair was thin and the doctor prescribed vitamin D now its it much thicker

GabriellaG Thu 25-Jan-18 12:17:28

Washing hair too often ie: daily, robs it of natural oils which, if you use a good natural bristle hairbrush by Kent or Mason Pearson, would be distributed down the whole hair shaft

GabriellaG Thu 25-Jan-18 12:13:06

HM999

That article was total rubbish.

blue60 Thu 25-Jan-18 12:11:52

Although I'm naturally blonde, I had highlights for years until last year. I decided to stop because my skin was very dry and my hair always looked too bright.

I now have quite a bit of silver coming through, and my hair is in much better condition. I shampoo and condition most days using a medium heat setting on the hair dryer, and have a good cut every 6-8 weeeks (a bob) which needs little attention.

I'm actually looking forward to it being silver all over!