Gransnet forums

Menopause

Understanding Menopause For Research

(5 Posts)
pbrown123 Mon 26-Feb-18 19:02:54

Hello! I am Graphic Design student in my final year doing a project on women's menopause. It would really benefit my research to collect some information from women that have gone through // going through it. So here is what i'm looking into:
I want to give women the power and control over heat fluctuations, therefore I am looking at designing a range of clothes using smart textiles to regulate body heat.
What are peoples thoughts on this?
Any personal stories on heat fluctuations that could be shared would be extremely helpful. Or even advice on if this would be beneficial to women going through menopause.
I would really appreciate any comments // negative or positive to get some research from potential users.
Thank you!

Granny23 Mon 26-Feb-18 23:42:54

I can only speak for myself as every woman's experience of the menopause is different. I did not suffer much from hot flushes in the daytime but did try to stick to natural fibres (mainly cotton) and avoid anything tight or high necked eg. polo necks.

My problems were mainly in the night, frozen one minute and pouring sweat, giving off heat like a radiator the next, which was inevitably followed by going back to shivering cold, this time in a clammy, damp bed.

Any temperature control nightwear or bedding would have been of enormous benefit.

Moocow Mon 26-Feb-18 23:54:13

For me the temperature controlled stuff feels weird so I don't like using it. Tried bed sheets and years ago when in my 20s and travelling in hot countries, tried sprays and roll ons.

Oopsadaisy12 Tue 27-Feb-18 22:47:21

Not too sure how this would work, my hot flushes didn’t last long, but were so sudden and soooo hot and then I went back to normal temperature fairly quickly. Night sweats were worse,
I don’t know how special clothing would have helped, you would need instantaneous cold and then be able to switch it off immediately you went back to normal temperature.

Teetime Wed 28-Feb-18 09:59:39

As a golfer now past THE menopause (we are not American) I have observed if there were garments made of the same nice lightweight non wicking material some of my golf shirts are made of that would be good (other sports have these of course). They are specifically designed to help with temperature control and are comfortable in strong sunshine so they might be a good thing to explore. I always feel comfortable in these.