Gransnet forums

Menopause

Hot Flushes.. forced menopause!

(15 Posts)
arosebyanyothername Thu 03-Jan-19 12:37:39

12 years ago I had a subtotal hysterectomy (ovaries removed) which caused an immediate menopause.
Have been on Everol ever since. I’ve tried to cut down but if I do I get horrendous sweats at night. Doctor is supportive of me continuing as long as I understand the risks.

Volvariella Sun 02-Dec-18 17:00:54

Nanabilly did you go through menopause at the usual time? Total hysterectomy should not have caused flushes immediately - although sometimes the ovaries tend to fail quicker after hysterectomy so brings menopause forward. Those who have had a total hysterectomy combined with ovary removal as well go through surgical menopause and should always be offered HRT especially if below the natural age of menopause of 51/52 - to help protect heart and bones, never mind the symptoms of flushes and sweats etc which are bad enough!

Nanabilly Wed 28-Nov-18 12:50:01

I had total hysterectomy 20+ years ago and I'm still having hot flushes and sometimes terrible sweating.

Teetime Wed 28-Nov-18 09:51:38

Reluctantly last year I had to come off HRT after 10+ years on it. I dreaded the hot flushes returning (I used to get them all night every night) but I am glad to report after the first few months I now only get the occasional one.

Esspee Tue 27-Nov-18 23:07:29

Are you sure the migraines are caused by the HRT? If so they should have ceased when you came off the oestrogen.

I've been on HRT for almost 30 years and have no intention of ever coming off it as the advantages are overwhelming.

kazaa Wed 14-Nov-18 04:16:55

hi just to let you know I suffer from bipolar and depression so obviously the nights sweats we're driving me crazy I got indivina off my doctor. and started on the cod liver oil tabs and evening promise oil and I am so happy to tell you guys it works I have NEVER wrote on any forum but thought I had to share this my prayers have been answered I have small sweats due to anxiety but nothing like they were so have a go girls within a week I feel great

Sar53 Wed 11-Apr-18 11:24:43

I've also been on HRT for a long time, about 15 years. I've tried to come off it a couple of times, reducing the dosage gradually, but the hot flushes always came back.
My doctor thinks the pluses out way the negatives associated with prescribing HRT for me.

Liz46 Wed 11-Apr-18 09:44:42

I have been on HRT for almost 30 years after having my ovaries removed. Every time I try to stop I get very bad hot flushes. Last time I had stopped the HRT I went Christmas shopping and was in a shop wearing a coat and carrying parcels. I had a bad hot flush which turned into a panic attack (the only one I have ever had) because there was nowhere to put the parcels as it was so crowded and I HAD to get my coat off. I am on the minimum dose patch but that keeps me OKish.

Humbertbear Wed 11-Apr-18 09:00:10

Sorry but 20 years isn’t unusual. I was in a similar position to you, Jen67 and the GP refused to prescribe HRT after ten years. The first months were a nightmare. The hot flushes don’t stop but they aren’t as bad and don’t occur so often. I take Evening Primrose Oil (mega dose) which I believe helped a bit.

Jen67 Wed 11-Apr-18 07:43:35

Thankyou ladies... hopefully 20 years is unusual!!
I heard that Black Cohosh was bad for headache/ migraine.. anyone else heard this?

travelsafar Wed 11-Apr-18 06:52:15

I took black cocosh and evening primrose every morning and evening when the hot flushes started and only suffered for about 6 months, it was amazing how these two herbal remedies helped me. Even when i stopped taking them the flushes didnt return.Whether i was just lucky or it was the tablets that helped i don't know, but they are so worth a try.

stella1949 Wed 11-Apr-18 06:42:01

I was on HRT for 18 years after removal of both ovaries at 50. Tried to wean off it last year but the flushes were making life unbearable so I'm back on it. I' ve had migraines all my life - before, during , and after HRT so I don't feel they are connected to it at all. Good luck.

tanith Tue 10-Apr-18 23:16:46

I’m still having them at nearly 70 my menopause started in my late 40s they aren’t nearly as frequent but I’m often seen throwing the quilt off in the nighttime or stripping a sweater off in the evening.

hildajenniJ Tue 10-Apr-18 22:59:45

Here's my experience. I had my last period at 53. The hot flushes started immediately, and they haven't stopped yet. I have fewer, but still have them, mostly at night. I'm now 66.
I was rather woolly headed in the beginning, but that is past now, and I'm back to my normal clear thinking self.? I didn't want HRT, preferring to do it naturally. I don't think 13 years is unusual for hot flushes, some older friends of mine still have them too.

Jen67 Tue 10-Apr-18 22:01:08

Hi. I’ve had a total hysterectomy at 40... now 50 and had hrt 10 yrs. Had to stop it due to horrible migraines... any idea how long the hot flashes may last?!... what else can I expect... the migraines seem to be better at least a bit!...