Gransnet forums

Menopause

Brain fog

(13 Posts)
BradfordLass72 Sat 12-Jan-19 08:33:57

nearlygran this is aphasia and I suffered from it very badly after my 2nd son was born. I discovered its due to lack of Vitamin B.
Eventually it came right but menopause kicked it off again. Probably because I wasn't getting enough (what is enough?) in my diet.

I now take a very good brand of Vit b Complex and whilst I do sometimes forget why I've walked into the kitchen but I no longer have to say, 'Would you pass me....that thing you drink tea out of..'!! smile

nearlyagran Thu 13-Dec-18 07:43:26

Definitely a menopause symptom. It is like a game show in this house - "Guess the noun".
My husband and kids are used to it now.
My sentences are like this -
" where is the thing? you know, the thing for turning the doodah on? I left it on the wotsit in the hall" etc etc

I have been as far as to ask my husband -
"What's that place called where you can park cars?"
DH - "A car-park?"
Me - "That's it"
I am a member of a forum specifically for peri and menopause and it seems to be a common symptom the world over. My friend who is a bit further down the menopause road speaking tells me it gets better

JUSTGEE Thu 04-Oct-18 16:39:55

from what I have experienced and been told, YES this can be a symptom of Menopause.
Very frustrating when this wave of complete loss washes over you at the most random times

Cherrytree59 Wed 03-Oct-18 13:37:56

I have menopausal brain fog.

The fog is often much worse when it is followed by a disturbed night and lack of sleep due to the dreaded night sweats

MiniMoon Wed 03-Oct-18 12:12:49

I had "brain fog"! I had to write lists, and stick to them. At work it was particularly noticeable. I did the same things in the same order every night, but if I didn't have my list or someone to remind me, I would forget to do the medicine round!!! Fortunately it didn't last too long, just a few months.
I've always been terrible at remembering names, so that didn't worry me unduly.

sunseeker Wed 03-Oct-18 12:05:48

Nothing to do with menopause or getting old - I forget things because my brain is already full (that's my excuse and I'm sticking to it!) grin

Mrskipling Wed 03-Oct-18 11:53:09

I was always bad at names, but the menopause gave me a more generalised brain fog. HRT didn't seem to make a difference to that, although it did help with the physical symptoms. I'm retired now so don't have to worry so much any more but it did used to be awkward at work. Perhaps see your GP for advice so hat they can look at your overall health picture.

Toddleo Tue 11-Sep-18 14:17:59

Friends and I were discussing this last week. We are all in the throes of menopause, and half of us totally relate to the "brain fog" thing, and it was not happening prior to the menopause. So I would say "yes" to your question. Interestingly, I have an appt with my GP this week to talk about HRT, so we will see what his thoughts are re Brain Fog!

Greyduster Tue 11-Sep-18 10:55:29

I sometimes can’t remember names - I spent half the morning trying to remember Gabby Logan’s name after seeing a picture of her. The thing that worries me is the trains of thought that suddenly disappear. It is almost like watching them dissolve into smoke and then you can’t recall them. Slippery slope?

Bluegal Mon 10-Sep-18 19:55:22

I really don't feel 'brain fog' is part of the menopause. If you are worried unduly then go checked out but in my experience many people have brain fog remembering certain names etc. I've had it all my life but now post menopause - its not got any worse. I still can't remember names.

Liz46 Thu 06-Sep-18 06:32:56

I go into a panic when I have to introduce people as the names fly away!

JackyB Thu 06-Sep-18 06:26:15

Sounds normal enough to me. It used to just be called being "senile". It starts in pregnancy, at the latest. There is far too much information going into our minds 24/7. It's quite justifiable to "mislay" a fact or two.

Keep your mind active - do crosswords and things, or read more, whatever they advise to prevent dementia.

Coggs Thu 06-Sep-18 00:19:52

Is brain fog part of the menopause?
Today I had a moment when I couldn’t remember a friends name.
Don’t get me wrong - I have driven to work in the past and can’t remember what I pass, but this just auto pilot isn’t it????