Gransnet forums

Menopause

Can post menopausal bleed be caused by stress?

(17 Posts)
alovelycupofteaa Tue 18-Dec-18 12:09:05

Just that really? I am 55 years old and had my ovaries removed last year & have been on Evorel Conti patches since then, which have suited me really well, with no bleeding at all. In the last few weeks, we have had an incredibly stressful and exhausting time with my 91-year-old father-in-law, and last Wednesday I had a day when I felt extremely anxious (my old friend anxiety, which has been so good for a while now) and like I had been run over by a truck. Although I felt slightly better the next couple of days, on Friday I started to bleed, and am still having a bleed. Has anyone else had this after extreme stress? TIA xx

MissAdventure Tue 18-Dec-18 12:34:56

You really need to get it checked out, although I had a friend who would bleed when stressed.
Her doctor absolutely dismissed the idea, and sent her for tests, but they found no cause at all for it.
She wasn't the slightest bit worried because she said she knew it happened when she was uptight or upset.

alovelycupofteaa Tue 18-Dec-18 12:38:04

Thanks, MissAdventure - I thought I should maybe give it a week and see if it stops. although obviously the next week is going to be pretty stressful too!

MissAdventure Tue 18-Dec-18 12:39:33

Well, it really needs to be done sooner rather than later.
What a pain at this time of year.
Good luck trying to get an appointment too!

Sparklefizz Tue 18-Dec-18 12:45:21

alovelycupoftea You need to see a doctor before Christmas, and make a fuss about it if necessary, otherwise you will be stressed up until the first week in January or later, worrying about it. It's very unusual and you need to get it checked.

Lisagran Tue 18-Dec-18 12:51:52

www.nhs.uk/conditions/post-menopausal-bleeding/

I would definitely get an appt as soon as you can

alovelycupofteaa Tue 18-Dec-18 13:08:56

Ok, thank you everyone - I will email the gynae who did my operation last year xx

Luckygirl Tue 18-Dec-18 13:23:30

You do need to get it checked. Probably nothing to worry about, but wise to be quite sure.

alovelycupofteaa Tue 18-Dec-18 13:39:46

Thanks all, I now
have an appointment to see the consultant on Friday xx

Vickixx Sat 29-Dec-18 01:54:02

I hope you got on well. I had my last period at 52 after being regular although heavy for years.18 months later I took another heavy one of the blue. I went through all the usual investigations including a biopsy and all was fine. The consultant said to me it could be a last hurrah. He was right and I’ve had nothing else showing for the last few years. We are all different but quite right to keep an eye everything.

Jane10 Sat 29-Dec-18 08:55:43

'A last hurrah' - what a concept! grin
However, I hope that's exactly what the OP is found to be having.

cangran Sat 29-Dec-18 11:02:33

I had 'a last hurrah' 20 years ago today when my DD was married and, yes, it was a happy but also stressful time as our house was full of fussy relatives but none of my own family could be here as it's only me in the UK. The LH started during the wedding lunch and DH had to be sent out for tampons! Hopefully alovelycupofteaa a LH is all it is for you too.

JackyB Sat 29-Dec-18 11:50:25

Is is thin light red blood or thick and dark? If the latter it may be fibroids. Your doctor will know.

BBbevan Sat 29-Dec-18 11:56:32

My DD has just had exactly the same thing. A scan seems to indicate large fibroids. She has a hysteroscopy next week. Then consultant will decide what to do

Framilode Sat 29-Dec-18 12:56:27

I had a post menopausal bleed. The lining of my womb was examined and found to be abnormal. Had a hysterectomy and no further treatment required.

Please don't take any chances.

EllanVannin Sat 29-Dec-18 13:51:31

Never ignore unusual bleeding. It might be something or nothing but an ultrasound scan of the abdomen will give an answer one way or the other.

alovelycupofteaa Sat 29-Dec-18 14:29:28

Thank you everyone - the bleeding actually stopped last week (the same day that we managed to get my father-in-law into some respite care - funny, that!). I still kept the appointment with my gynaecologist last week & he wasn't very concerned, but has suggested a scan just to check everything anyway, so I am going for that on Monday.