Gransnet forums

Menopause

Were you ever discriminated against for being menopausal?

(8 Posts)
Chewbacca Wed 13-Mar-19 19:49:18

Think I must be really very lucky with my employer.

MissAdventure Wed 13-Mar-19 19:45:56

One of my bosses (a paid union rep for the GMB) thought nothing of going on about what he perceived as the women staff's "problems".

He refused to have women staff in his workplace for years because, he said, of the fact that they gossip.

Chewbacca Wed 13-Mar-19 19:43:43

No, not for me in my place of work. In fact, the older I've become, the more well respected I've become by my employer. If I've ever had to take time off work for medical reasons, I've never been questioned about it or asked to make the time up that I've lost. Maybe it's because I got more irascible as I've grown older and they're to scared to!

eazybee Wed 13-Mar-19 19:40:41

No, never.

M0nica Wed 13-Mar-19 18:42:26

No, even though I had two days off for hospital treatment. I got promotion when I was 52.

Baggs Wed 13-Mar-19 15:14:03

Maybe see your GP, and get your co-worker to as well, about alleviating symptoms, hotblush.

In answer to the title question: No.

EllanVannin Wed 13-Mar-19 15:11:29

Many women learned to hide their symptoms in case they were finished up at work. This was back in the 90's. I would imagine that this day and age with jobs being thin on the ground that the same should be practised, difficult as it is.
In other words just crack on as though nothing's happening.
Where ignorance is bliss and all that.

hotblush Wed 13-Mar-19 14:13:11

One of the women at my work - who I'm fairly friendly with, though not very close to - is by the looks of things suffering a fair bit with menopausal symptoms. I am too but my own symptoms are not as severe. A few weeks ago I overheard one of our department heads making some throwaway comment about her 'time of life' and how she's been scatty amongst other things. What worries me is that it's a difficult time at work and there is talk of redundancies. I've heard too many horror stories about middle-aged women having this held against them and now I can't sleep with worry.