Gransnet forums

Menopause

Perimenopause treated by antibiotics over the past 5/6 years

(5 Posts)
Solo Fri 15-Mar-19 21:19:10

Hi All,
I live in the Hertfordshire and I am 52. Over the past 6 years I have had:
- repeated cystitis, trated by repeated antibiotics. Finally refeered to a consultant whose first words were, these were not real cystitis, they are intersttial cystitis and I should never have been treated with antibiotics. This was last year.
- aggravated thrush, consequence of antibiotics.
- very strong middle of the month left side pain where I could no longer stand up or walk. Had to lay down for many hours.
-Repeated anaemia. Not followed up by GP, I organised the blood tests and got a copy of the results over many years.
Nails break/crack in the middle of the nail.
Perimenopause not diagnosed .
Perimenopause not treated.
No Help.
The GP did not mention once the word perimenopause over this 5 years period.
I am usually awake by 4am... fun!
I did my own research to reach the diagnosis of perimenopause on my own in the late evening on the I pad2 years ago. I have bought my own supplements, herbal, such as black cohosh to counteract night sweats, yam roots, Effamol, magnesium multi vitamins and mineral, lately rhadiola to combat anxiety.
I am married, a mother, bilingual, and I work full time.

I have found that the care towards women is beyond appalling.
Looking back on the past 5 years, I feel like I have been laughed at by the GPs.
I am thinking of deregistering from GP surgery.
Whether I am registered or not, I am coping on my own, so why be registered?
I keep going for the sake of my husband who deserves better and for our kids.
I will remember this for the rest of my life.
I am very disappointed, very angry.
The consultant is good but completely overworked due to the repeated costs cuttings to the NHS by various government and this government that is strangulating and asphyxiating the NHS.
I can only but assume this is the norm in the UK for care towards women.

phoenix Fri 15-Mar-19 23:31:42

Sorry that you have not had much help from your GP, but I really can't see the point in deregistering. Who knows when you might need to see a GP for some other reason?

BlueBelle Sat 16-Mar-19 05:00:37

I m sorry for your problems I personally have NEVER felt that I was treated any differently by doctors for being a woman in UK and although I can understand your anger I think that’s rather a silly and inaccurate statement to make and made in your anger

I am glad you have found your own answers by your own hard work and buying supplements that are working for you and I hope your health continues to improve
Not all health problems are easy to diagnose and treat, some are complex and hide within other symptoms

If you are not happy with your GP you can change at any time, deregistering seems an overreaction but entirely your choice hopefully you have enough money to visit a private doctor if you had an emergency
I would let your anger die down before you make any decisions

I think the care of women’s health in U.K. is completely equal to the care of men

Poppyred Sat 16-Mar-19 05:33:45

Your right, the menopause is not taken too seriously by G.P’s. I suppose because technically it is not an illness but a stage that women have to go through and we are all different with varying symptoms.

You did the right thing by researching and finding things that work for you. I did the same a few years ago now and managed to get through the transition without resorting to HRT.

Unfortunately our NHS does not have limitless resources.

Anja Sat 16-Mar-19 08:00:35

Unfortunately not all doctors are equal. I know which ones to avoid at my GP practice.