Gransnet forums

Menopause

HRT question

(7 Posts)
howdigetthisold Sun 14-Apr-19 20:29:13

Sorry if this is a stupid question but if I ask will I be given HRT post menopause? I am now through the menopause aged 60. However I feel so awful with practically every known symptom such as dryness, loss of libido depression, aching joints thinning hair etc. It seems to be getting worse rather than better. Ive looked at menopause matters and the NICE guidelines to see if its given post menopause but I cant seem to find an answer. I dont want to be laughed out of the GPs surgery blush All contributions gratefully received. TIA

Tangerine Sun 14-Apr-19 20:42:57

I doubt the GP will laugh. Why not go and see him/her and see what happens? Good luck.

paddyann Sun 14-Apr-19 23:10:00

ask for a referral to a menopause clinic where a gynaecologist will asses you properly and give you the help you need.I see the gynaecologist yearly ,am on HRT and he says I can stay on it for life as my symptoms were so bad.I'm 65.If you get a decent doctor you'll have no problems getting HRT .Good luck ,I hope it gets better its a horrible thing for those of us who really suffer .

Framilode Mon 15-Apr-19 00:20:51

I am 72 and on it. Try your GP and if they don't agree to it do as Paddyann says and ask for a referral to a menopause clinic. I also intend to stay on it for life. It is not a cure all but does make a massive difference.

stella1949 Mon 15-Apr-19 03:54:59

I've been on it since the menopause - that's what HRT is for so no you won't get laughed out of his office. Like Framilode I'll be on it for life - it makes such a wonderful difference to your life.

Esspee Mon 15-Apr-19 04:18:48

I'm almost 70, have been on oestrogen for 30 years and am going to continue for the rest of my life. I cannot over stress the benefits. Do go to your doctor.

howdigetthisold Mon 15-Apr-19 09:49:30

Thank you so much for your replies ladies. Spurred on by your responses I managed to get an appt for this morning and saw a lovely GP who was really understanding and supportive and has given me patches to try with a review in six weeks time. I feel so relieved to have that hurdle over with and can hopefully now work towards getting back to feeling a much better version of myself. I really appreciate you all taking the time to help. Thank you