Gransnet forums

Menopause

Anyone tried bamboo bedsheets or Become nightwear for night sweats?

(8 Posts)
Horseinahat Tue 23-Apr-19 16:37:45

Hi
I am having horrible night sweats, which leave the sheets cold and damp. Then I can't get back to sleep as I am too cold. Has anyone tried bamboo bed sheets or tried temperature regulating nightwear? or got suggestions for other ways of coping?

phoenix Tue 23-Apr-19 16:51:37

Fill a hot water bottle with cold water, and put in the freezer, try it under your feet. (Remember how a hot water under the tootsies warns you up? Works in reverse with a cold one, iyswim!)

RedRidingHood Tue 23-Apr-19 18:54:49

When mine were really bad I wore a nightie. That would soak up the sweat and I could easily put on a fresh one. I also used a cotton sheet as well as a duvet so you can pull it over and not freeze as well as boiling.

phoenix Tue 23-Apr-19 20:11:17

"Warms" not "warns" grr

BradfordLass72 Tue 23-Apr-19 21:38:56

Try Sage capsules (or tea) before you go to bed, they will help cut or even stop the night sweats. You will need to experiment with the dosage - I used to take 4 capsules and the tea with honey..

LondonGranny Wed 18-Sep-19 10:20:52

I only occasionally get night sweats but I have métis sheets which are great. Métis is a heavyweight cotton/linen mix, formerly very popular in France and Belgium, usually only available or affordable secondhand. I snap them up when I see them (which is not that often). Also great for very hot and humid summer nights.
They're usually monogrammed in elaborate embroidery, possibly to identify them as stuff was sent off to the laundry back then. The embroidery is helpful in dating them. I've got one with lurid embroidered roses that screams 1950s but the best one I have looks Edwardian.

I don't take HRT or anything. This is mainly because in the 1970s I was on the pill and had a dreadful time on it so that put me off any hormonal prescription stuff for life.

Saxifrage Wed 18-Sep-19 10:30:58

Not seen bamboo sheets but I bought some bamboo underpants for a fun present for my son at Christmas. He loves them. I also have a bamboo summer dress which is cool and comfortable

Charleygirl5 Wed 18-Sep-19 11:53:22

I have a bamboo pillow which I love.