Gransnet forums

Menopause

Menopause and heartburn

(8 Posts)
Slowcookervegan Wed 24-Apr-19 21:57:00

For the last 3 months i have had terrible heartburn. Im suffering now. I will make an appointment to see the dr tomorrow. Im premenopausal and 47. I have a hiatus hernia that hasn't bothered me in years. Has anyone else had this with menopause?

stella1949 Thu 25-Apr-19 03:50:28

Yes, I've had it for years. I'm not sure that it is connected with the menopause - more that it is just part of getting older . I take Omeperazole with good effect, and I sleep on a wedge pillow which is very helpful at night. Good luck.

Slowcookervegan Thu 25-Apr-19 08:14:05

Stella
Thank you. Im taking that too. Im off to the drs later today. I will try the wedge pillow.

CassieJ Thu 25-Apr-19 09:33:02

I take 40 mg omeprazole and also raise my bed which helps.

M0nica Thu 25-Apr-19 20:49:58

Not sure whether it was the menopause or the associated weight gain that brought on my indigestion. But when I lost weight, only a couple of stone, nothing dramatic, it more or less disappeared.

Slowcookervegan Thu 25-Apr-19 20:50:07

Been to the dr and im now on 40 mg omeprazme. Will let you know how i get on.
Thanks for your comments smile

Mossfarr Thu 25-Apr-19 21:00:29

I used to suffer with terrible heartburn (or Acid reflux as my GP calls it) which also caused a persistent cough. I was prescribed omeprazole which did help.

I found that it was always worse after eating bread so I decided to cut out bread for a while to see if it helped. Guess what? No bread no heartburn! I never eat bread at all now so I don't have to use any medication.

Slowcookervegan Wed 01-May-19 20:49:53

Well good news. On 40mg and doing well. Fingers crossed.
Thank you all for your help.