Gransnet forums

Menopause

Day one of cold turkey HRT

(12 Posts)
Marilla Tue 11-Jun-19 12:24:14

You must see your GP and if necessary, make a double appointment to have time to discuss both medical issues. I had a full hysterectomy in my early forties and once the correct dose/brand of HRT was established, I felt better than I had in years. I stayed on HRT until my fifties and sadly when I had to come off it, I had awful hot flushes, my hair lost his lustre, not to mention issues with the undercarriage! Do stay on the HRT.

midgey Tue 11-Jun-19 10:51:50

Omeprazole made me feel terrible, when I spoke to the pharmacist he said his mother had said the same thing. I stopped taking them and felt much better very quickly. Agree with everyone who says get some probiotics to sort out the thrush.

paddyann Tue 11-Jun-19 10:39:59

I'd stick with the HRT ,the antibiotics wll cause thrush and UTI's .I know if I have antibiotics for anything I have to be prescribed a thrush treatment alongside it.HRT should help your sleep issues.I've been on patches for a number of years now and will stay on them for life .Dont attempt to just take yourself off them ,persevere .Sometimes it takes a few months for them to kick in.Good luck ,hope you feel better soon.

EllanVannin Tue 11-Jun-19 08:52:56

I'd be getting that " fatty liver " sorted before you get symptoms for that.

Ginny42 Tue 11-Jun-19 08:07:38

Yes, I think you've got different things going on here. I suffered similar after massive doses of anti-biotics after my hysterectomy went wrong and I had peritonitis. I know how miserable you feel, but you will get better.

Do sort the thrush with pro-biotics as others have recommended. Cut out sugar. Expect some die-off as the thrush thrives on sugar. Listerine mouth rinses should help.

If you can tolerate needles I'd suggest acupuncture, which can boost your immune system which is what you need. It can also create a sense of wellbeing. You can have acupressure if you don't like needles and learn to do it yourself.

The HRT should be making you feel good, so if you're not, perhaps you need a different one, but I'm sure when you sort out the other symptoms you will see a huge improvement - in time for your wedding!

Framilode Tue 11-Jun-19 07:33:39

My doctor thoroughly recommends HRT indefinitely if you have had a full hysterectomy. She says it has all sorts of benefits. I think stopping HRT will make you feel worse, not better.

leyla Tue 11-Jun-19 07:16:25

Ditto - antibiotics likely to be the cause of digestive issues - I'd press on with the HRT if you can.
If you feel ill you are probably feeling stressed and then the stress makes you feel worse. Try some relaxation techniques.
Agree try probiotic.

Esspee Tue 11-Jun-19 06:55:50

Stopping the HRT before your marriage is not a good idea. I ask would assume the anti biotics have caused the problem. Have a chat with your pharmacist or doctor.

stella1949 Wed 08-May-19 13:29:24

Hi Angie - I guess anything is possible, but in my humble opinion the digestive issues are much more likely to be caused by all those antibiotics. They are very well known to cause thrush and upset tummies . I'd be treating those things before going off on a tangent and ceasing the HRT which is probably not the problem. Good luck !

Angie196543 Wed 08-May-19 11:28:36

Hi Stella,

The reason ive stopped my HRT today is I think its causing the digestive issues. Ever since I started it its been awful. I only went on it because of dry skin and lack of sleep. Before I started it I never had digestive issues.

stella1949 Wed 08-May-19 10:10:31

I'm not a doctor but have certainly experienced this in the past . It sounds as if the thrush / upset tummy is the result of all those antibiotics which you took for the UTI. Personally I would recommend taking some probiotics to normalise your digestive function . Buy some from the chemist or get some Yakult from the supermarket . They all do a great job and should always be taken if you've been on antibiotics.

Your post is called Day 1 of HRT cold turkey - I'm not sure what that means. I would doubt that the HRT is connected to your symptoms - just keep taking it, and treat your other problems .

Angie196543 Wed 08-May-19 09:13:29

I really dont know whats going on with (me) Ive been on and off since end January which isnt a long time but it feels like forever . It all started 4 years ago, full hysterectomy ay 49 and put on Hrt patches for 6 months, all was well. I stopped the patches until february. I initially went to my GP with not being able to sleep, she prescribed anti histamine which gave me a very dry mouth and nothing else. I then developed uti and was put on 7 different kinds of anti biotics over 3 months to cure it. Since then ive got a yellow tongue upset tummy so went back to my gp who has given me fluconazole and omeprazole , the fluconozole helps the oral thrush and the omeprazole stops or helps gerd. None of these have been tested for by the way, she is treating me blind. I have CT scans and all my bloods are normal apart from fatty liver. Im 6 days into my 14 day fluconozole and 4 days into 40mg omeprazole and feel terrible. My tongue seems to be improving but thats all. I am so fed up, She has also started me taking sandrina 0.5 gel hrt which ive been taking for 14 days. Please... what would you do if this was you, i feel so down and fed up. Im getting married in 7 weeks and want to be well xx