Gransnet forums

Menopause

When will this end?!

(9 Posts)
Nickysmadhouse Thu 13-Jun-19 11:27:04

Hi! I’m 48 (just!) ive been feeling all the symptoms of peri menopause for well over a year, bloods done last year were normal level but in the last few months i have been hit with the most extreme exhaustion i have ever felt, literally makes me almost cry to move! Along with usual aches, pains, head aches, irritability etc! But the most nuisance right now is that my period was 6 weeks late but arrived and now been with me for 2 weeks and 1 day, its not heavy by any means just annoying! Should i go and get my bloods checked again... or have none of you experienced this?
This stage in my life has me questioning if its something else going on in there and not a conventional period, along with a million other illnesses im sure i must have ? thank you all x

SalsaQueen Thu 13-Jun-19 11:51:08

Perhaps you should go and get checked by a doctor. I am 60, and my last period was only 18 months ago, and for the previous 6 years (!) had been horrendous. The joys of being a woman grin

gillybob Thu 13-Jun-19 11:56:49

I had weird periods for about 8-10 years before mine eventually stopped altogether last year aged 56.

I would go for months with nothing then bleed for months on end. I had every test available including various biopsies (all thankfully clear) and eventually was given tablets (not hrt) to stop the prolonged bleeding.

jaylucy Thu 13-Jun-19 11:57:26

I can remember that my periods were horrendously heavy for several months - went to see a GP (female one) and she just told me " well I could give you drugs that might help or refer you but by the time you were seen, it may well be that your periods will have stopped"(yes really!!!)
The only good thing was that several of my co workers of similar age were also experiencing the same thing and had been told the same by their male GPs!

Grammaretto Thu 13-Jun-19 12:28:08

I think the average age for the menopause is 52 so it may not be too long to keep suffering.
And then what a relief!

If you can ask your DM or other female rellie how it was for them, you may get a clue.

I know someone who is 50 and expecting a baby. Be careful. It wasn't planned but they are very happy about it.

There are drugs and operations. It was suggested I have a semi- hysterectomy as Raquel Welch had had one so it must be a good thing. I didn't have one then but had one later on when I had a prolapse. Oh the joys of being a woman.

lovebeigecardigans1955 Thu 13-Jun-19 12:35:09

Well, it will end one day thank goodness and maybe you won't have to put up with it for much longer. The joys of the menopause. Mine were regular for ages but about a year before it ended I was 'spotting' for weeks on end.
At 64 I have said goodbye to the anaemia, inconvenience, worry, migraine, aching back, stomach and legs. Life is worth living again.

Nickysmadhouse Thu 13-Jun-19 13:38:33

Thank you all so much, i feel very relieved but will call the doctor to get my bloods done so i can track my levels.
Sadly i lost my mum almost 4 years ago to PPC (she started the menopause age 34!!!) and although she was BRCA negative i still get worried about it, silly i know but fear the doctors telling me i have it too.... so, to get all your lovely responses really has helped.
Oh, and goodness me, i love babies, my darling baby is married and 25... so the thought of having another... yikes ? xx

Whiff Thu 20-Jun-19 11:42:48

When I was 38 I had a total hysterectomy due to a large ovarian cyst which had 2 l's fluid in it. Plus my other ovary was covered in little one's. As we had got 2 children and my husband had a vasectomy 4 years before. I was given choices and as they were going to open up my c section scar for the third time I said to have the total hysterectomy either that or put a zipper in. My gynaecologist had a sense of humour. I went on HRT for 16 yrs which was great. Then was taken off it. With a few days the flushes started and then the night sweats along with all the usually symptoms. For the last 2yrs I have day sweats as well. I am now 61. My nan carried on having flushes and sweats well into her 80's. My mom didn't have any problems. Must be following my nan.

Nannanna Thu 02-Jan-20 19:20:12

Hope !