Gransnet forums

Menopause

Post menopausal bleeding

(24 Posts)
Parro Sun 11-Aug-19 18:33:54

Very scared. In menopause 17 mm endometrial stripe, vaginal bleeding for two months. Has anyone bled like this before?

Daisymae Sun 11-Aug-19 18:56:34

Assume that you have discussed this with your GP?

Carillion01 Sun 11-Aug-19 19:11:23

You must see your GP if there's any post meno bleeds.
We're all different but you need reassurance.

I had a pelvic scan because of bleeding last September then had a hysteroscopy. It turned out to be polyps which were removed and non-problematic and also some large fibroids which are virtually always benign but painful, both caused bleeding. Please go to your GP.

M0nica Sun 11-Aug-19 19:22:17

Parro if it happening to you, it is undoubtedly happening to other women. It can have a range of causeses from the trivial to the serious, but it is no use asking us, we are not doctors. The only way to find out is to make an appointment with your GP and see them as soon as possible.

GrandmaJan Sun 11-Aug-19 19:26:28

Please please see your GP

paddyann Sun 11-Aug-19 19:55:32

I have endemetriosis and afibroid AND cysts on my ovary and cervix ,I have bled for up to 6 weeks in the past .My HRT seems to have it under control (fingers crossed it lasts).If I have an unusual bleed I have direct access to the menopause clinic.They see me within a couple of days and I have the scans ,internal and external and if all iswell with then we're done.Sometimes they'll do a biopsy and phone me with the results.Fot most women there is nothing seriously wrong,so dont panic .Get a gp appointment as soon as you can and get referred ,Good luck with it ,now try to relax and call the doctor in the morning

Volvariella Mon 26-Aug-19 09:38:28

Parro I assume that as you have given us your endometrial thickness that you are already being investigated? I presume also that if it is this thick and you are not on HRT you are also being offered hysteroscopy and possibly biopsy to test for cancer? I can appreciate your worries but do attend all the investigations offered. If you are on HRT then it's much less of a worry. Hope it all turns out OK

Babs758 Wed 28-Aug-19 12:13:20

I was fast tracked by my GP as had similar. They did the investigatory operation after the ultrasound showed unusual thickness… I had the op under GA and it was fine and a polyps removed. Awaiting the results of the biopsy for a month and have been told by the GP she cannot advise me until I get a letter from the consultant. Will chase up again this week as getting a bit fed up. But at least the process is underway. To the OP, please see your GP and get this investigated.

Nortsat46 Wed 28-Aug-19 13:42:58

Parro I have experienced this and waited about 2 months before I went to my GP.
It really could be something relatively simple but you won't know until you make the appt and see your doctor.
You have already taken the first step by acknowledging the situation and posting here. Do take the next step and get medical advice.
Sending you good wishes and flowers

ninathenana Wed 28-Aug-19 14:02:19

I saw my GP aftet 6 wks of blood stained discharge. 10 days later I saw the consultant and a week later had a largeish polyp removed and got the result of all clear 2 wks after that. Excellent service.

However, that was a month ago and the problem has not gone away and GP says there is nothing he can do for me.

SueSocks Wed 28-Aug-19 14:13:35

I had it, scared me to death, thinking worse case scenario. Went to GP who sent me to women’s health clinic at hospital, was seen very quickly. They suggested a hysteroscopy, had it done under general anaesthetic, nothing found & it hasn’t happened since.
Good luck, but get it checked out.

Tigertooth Fri 15-Nov-19 23:18:11

I had this but I'm a coward so went the next day to gynaecologist. Mine was a 9yr old coil (I'd pretty much forgotten it was there) dislodged, he whipped it out and nothing since. BUT he said that all PMB needs to be investigated - that its usually nothing sinister and that if it is cancer then the bleeding is an early warning sign and so long as you heed the warning and get investigated, the cancer gets caught early and they cure 95%.
Go to GP and insist on being fast tracked, I'm amazed that people wait months, I couldn't wait 24hrs!

Luckygirl Fri 15-Nov-19 23:28:55

9 year old coil! - blimey|!

Hithere Sat 16-Nov-19 03:09:14

OP,
How scary! Hope you are ok and your gp can give you a clear cause of the bleeding

FlexibleFriend Sat 16-Nov-19 16:00:04

Just see your GP and find out the facts, I have to take tablets twice a day or I would bleed heavily every day. I've been thoroughly investigated and no cause found. I was offered a hysterectomy to solve the problem for good after 5 years of non stop bleeding but the tablets work and for me are preferable to surgery. Please don't worry just find out what it is.

EllanVannin Sat 16-Nov-19 18:28:58

Any type of bleeding needs looking into. If taking HRT it's sometimes not unusual to have the odd shows, but I personally wouldn't like it and would see a GP at the first opportunity.

Dareyouto Fri 13-Dec-19 20:19:04

Yes, and I’d had a full hysterectomy for constant and never ending periods at an early age. After many examinations and scans and various tests with nothing conclusive I then discovered, via a newly diagnosed relative that a rare condition known as H.H.T (Hereditary Hemorrhagic Telangiectasia) was responsible. My brother’s symptoms presented as extreme nosebleeds, and mine as above and then oral haemorrhages. I don’t think it’s so rare myself, just misdiagnosed as the medical profession are mostly unaware of it and the condition doesn’t normally present itself when young. Basically it is an abnormality caused by missing capillaries which would normally slow your blood down where it flows from your veins into your arteries.
So, if you ever suffer from abnormal bleeds of any kind, anywhere in your body, then ask the doctor/consultant to consider H.H.T. Also, B.I.M this abnormality is always passed down to 50% of your children. Some of those will be affected by it and others are luckier and never show any symptoms of having it.

Pat123 Sun 31-May-20 10:44:21

Hi Flexible Friend, are you taking Norethisterone? I am 67, do you think this would be an option for me?

Sarah1965 Wed 14-Jul-21 23:49:08

Hi ladies . I’m new to this site . Wanted to know if any of you have had bleeding since your Covid vaccine. I am post menopausal. No period for about 4 years yet I have got stomach cramps and started bleeding like a light period. Had second Covid jab in June . Anyone else had anything like this
Thanks ?

Esspee Thu 15-Jul-21 07:57:49

Sarah1965 I have read of some women reporting this but also it being refuted as coincidence. Who knows?
In your position I would discuss it with my doctor.

Sparklefizz Thu 15-Jul-21 08:26:09

Any post menopausal bleeding absolutely must be discussed with a doctor.

CafeAuLait Thu 15-Jul-21 10:13:13

Sarah1965

Hi ladies . I’m new to this site . Wanted to know if any of you have had bleeding since your Covid vaccine. I am post menopausal. No period for about 4 years yet I have got stomach cramps and started bleeding like a light period. Had second Covid jab in June . Anyone else had anything like this
Thanks ?

I would discuss this with your doctor.

I am not post menopausal but I did hear all the talk of periods being heavy or messed up or early, etc, as a result of the vaccine. Mine arrived right on time and didn't behave any differently.

NotSpaghetti Thu 15-Jul-21 10:33:27

If you know you have a 17 mm endometrial stripe you must be in contact with at the very least a sonographer.
Have you now been booked in for a hysteroscopy?
As Volvariella says, you do need to check this out but it’s likely that the outcome is benign. When the hysteroscopy is done, your consultant will usually take some cells to examine for dangerous changes but the procedure is less scary in reality than it seems here.

Sarah1965 Thu 15-Jul-21 11:52:57

Thanks for feedback ladies . Will give gp a ring xx