Gransnet forums

Menopause

Nausea

(18 Posts)
Sally868 Thu 29-Aug-19 10:34:04

Hi, I am 65 and started my menopause about 15 years ago. I was having hot flushes with nausea in the day all of last year and this year for the last 4 months I am waking up at 5 am feeling hot and nauseous and can't get back to sleep. I have tried HRT twice and my GP took me off it because she thought it was making my nausea worse. I feel tired all the time and feel dreadful.
Can anyone recommend any medication that stops nausea?
HELP!
Thanks, Sally

vena11 Thu 29-Aug-19 10:40:08

Go back to your Doctor .

EllanVannin Thu 29-Aug-19 10:44:00

Ask your GP for some Stemetil to see if that works.

FlexibleFriend Thu 29-Aug-19 11:37:36

cyclizine I get it on prescription for random bouts of nausea.

EllanVannin Thu 29-Aug-19 12:22:02

Ginger biscuits or anything containing ginger.

MissAdventure Thu 29-Aug-19 12:52:03

I think you should probably see your doctor to check all is well.

Squiffy Thu 29-Aug-19 13:14:06

I was prescribed Buccastem, which was effective. I think it's in the same 'family' as stematil, but you place the tablet between your top lip and gum and let it slowly dissolve.

Squiffy Thu 29-Aug-19 13:16:35

Is this a post-menopausal symptom?

I was given no indication by the ologist as to the cause, even after having all the cameras investigating my innards. Nothing untoward was picked up, so it was a case of treating the symptoms.

Fennel Thu 29-Aug-19 13:44:38

Sally are you taking any other meds. that might be causing the nausea?
Either prescribed or over the counter.

Sally868 Thu 29-Aug-19 16:16:12

Hi Squiffy and thanks. Yes I have seen all the ologists and my GP is treating the symptoms. I am taking a sleeping pill and an anti histamine which treats sickness. Neither cause nausea.

Yes I think this is post menopausal but occassionally I feel a bit not but nothing like last year. Sxx

Sally868 Thu 29-Aug-19 16:18:25

Hi EllanVannin, thanks for your comments. I have tried stemetil and it makes me feel dreadful. I will look at Buccastem. Sxx

Squiffy Thu 29-Aug-19 16:37:05

Hope you find something which helps, Sally. I was prescribed cyclizine earlier this year, but it quite literally knocked me out for 24 hours! I couldn't even sit up shock

Sally868 Thu 29-Aug-19 16:47:45

Hi, sorry to hear this. Did you find anything else that suited you?
My Doctor has given me Promethazine but it makes me a bit drowsy.
Sxx

Squiffy Thu 29-Aug-19 16:50:54

I reverted to using the Buccastem that I mentioned upthread.

Fennel Thu 29-Aug-19 17:12:58

Sally - antihistamines used to make me feel dizzy, lose my balance. But not vomiting. I took them to help me sleep. Stopped now.
It depends what you mean exactly by nausea.
But we're not medics on here. As others have said go back to your GP.

Kathy1959 Mon 28-Oct-19 15:42:10

I’m 60, and consciously started menopause 3 years ago. I’d had random, very intermittent’ symptoms’, before that, but didn’t realise it could be menopause related. No periods for two years. I feel I’m probably coming out the other side now with most things, except this , what I can only describe as travel/ morning type sickness, which seems to afflict me for about 2 months at a time, and then I get time off! It’s not there all the time. It does seem to be mostly at the start of the day, and then gradually ease off. It’s not my stomach. I literally feel as if I’ve spent all day on a coach, or boat! Both my dreaded form of transport, and my head is so heavy. If I go into shops, I feel worse. I don’t know if it’s the lights or what. I’ve taken stemetil, they were fine at first, but now just make me drowsy, even with one tablet only for the day. Betahistine were good too the first time, but I think they just lead me into my relief time, because now they don’t work!! I think if I didn’t have this, I would be almost back to feeling like me again, instead of feeling like someone pinched my body in the night and left me with this one! It’s so difficult to plan anything, because I never know how I’m going to feel. Has anyone else had this, and what worked??

Kathy1959 Mon 28-Oct-19 15:43:56

I meant to say, I’ve had blood tests for other things, and they’re all good?

felice Mon 28-Oct-19 16:05:44

I am so glad to read this post, I thought it was just me, it is usually in the morning, I get up and make my tea and then a sort of wave of nausea comes over me. It normally passes but some mornings like yesterday I dry retch for a couple of minutes.
I am 65 menopause when I was 52.