Gransnet forums

Menopause

Anyone else have to reset back to zero after nearly going a year period free?

(14 Posts)
Mattie18 Fri 27-Sep-19 16:40:14

Hello
I am 54 nearly 55 and until yesterday had gone 10 months with no period. I know I have to go 12 months to be officially menopausal so was nearly there ?. I have had no hot flashes and got quite bad PMT ( sore nipples ) the 2 weeks prior so am assuming it’s a hormonal bleed. I am overweight so am probably producing too much oestrogen. Has anybody else gone for this amount of time late perimenopausal and had to restart the clock?

Aidylnut62 Sun 29-Sep-19 23:27:17

Just happened to me yesterday after 9 months

Katyj Mon 30-Sep-19 07:05:49

Yes me too periods stopped at 51 then 18 months later a light period, then nothing else.I'm overweight too.

Hollyhock1 Tue 11-Aug-20 08:50:13

Hello, I'm new to this wonderful place!
This has happened to me today!! I'm 55, 56 in October, and had my last period in May 2019 followed in August 2019 by 3 days of spotting. This month I've had sore boobs, been a right mard arse and started spotting a couple of days ago, only to wake up today with a blood stained bed and what appears to be a proper period, almost a year since my last one. I'm a bit concerned about it but don't know whether this is a normal occurrence or whether I should seek my GPs advice. Any help would be much appreciated.

annsixty Tue 11-Aug-20 10:15:44

My 55 year old D, has just gone through this twice.
Lots of other symptoms but the periods again have depressed her.
Like me, she always had a very irregular menstrual cycle and also has PCOS.
It happens to so many I don’t think it is anything to worry about but get checked if you are worried.

Nortsat Tue 11-Aug-20 10:19:21

It’s always worth getting checked.
I had something similar, 6 years ago and was found to have fibroids.

Don’t wait, get checked. I know it’s tiresome but just do it ...
?

silverlining48 Tue 11-Aug-20 10:47:38

Same thing happened to me, twice, was checked and told I had fibroids and if it reoccurred I would need a hysterectomy.
All went well after that so didn’t need an operation. I think this is quite common. Get it checked if you are worried.

Hollyhock1 Tue 11-Aug-20 11:26:50

Thanks all for the replies. I'll contact my GP and see what he thinks. I'm hoping he'll say just observe - dread the thought of having to have anything looked at down below (I have 3 grown up children so you'd think I'd be used to that!!).

gillybob Tue 11-Aug-20 11:34:47

I had this at 55 after a year of nothing and then bled on and off for another 2 years . I was investigated (yuk) and was cleared of anything nasty . Ended up on tablets (Norethisterone) to stop the bleeding which was very unpredictable. I’m 58 now and have weaned myself off the tablets And the bleeding seems to have stopped altogether .

The consultant that I saw said it was probably hereditary as my gran had a baby during what she thought was the menopause . Sadly stillborn or I would’ve had an auntie younger than me .

gillybob Tue 11-Aug-20 11:37:43

Ooops typing on a phone is always tricky . Should’ve said I bled for a year again after thinking I was period free and then took tablets for a further 2 years to stop it .

DiscoDancer1975 Tue 11-Aug-20 11:38:12

Yes, I’ve been 2 and a half years now, so in the clear I think, but I did go about the same as you, and then get another period. It’ll happen soon enough, don’t worry ?

Hollyhock1 Tue 11-Aug-20 20:27:45

Thanks ladies, it's reassuring to know that the same thing has happened to others. What complex bodies we must have!!

Curlywhirly Tue 11-Aug-20 22:20:32

I was about 52 and hadn't had a period for 18 months; unexpectedly had a period then nothing more, this was 12 years ago.

PinkCakes Fri 28-May-21 08:03:36

I went through something similar - at 52, my periods stopped for almost a year, then came back regularly. At 55, I started having terrible flooding, which lasted for up to 3 weeks at a time. I was backward and forwards to the GP and hospital, had scans, blood tests, smear tests, uterine biopsies, hormone tablets, etc. My periods stopped altogether at the age of 59 and a half! I'm 62 now.