Gransnet forums

Menopause

Should I take HRT

(10 Posts)
Crazygran Fri 06-Dec-19 13:40:24

Hi, I am 65 this weekend and am struggling with
menopausal symptoms .
Took HRT 6 years ago and found it great.
Had to come off it before I had an op.
Dr has given me a new prescription ,would like your thoughts on it please ?

Fiachna50 Fri 06-Dec-19 13:45:18

I had to cold turkey through menopause as could not get HRT due to high breast cancer risk in my family. I am now through the worst. It really has to be your own decision. Weigh up the pros and cons for yourself. For me personally, Im glad in the end I didnt take it.

NfkDumpling Fri 06-Dec-19 13:55:24

I’ve been on the lowest dose oestrogen only HRT since a full hysterectomy about 25 years ago. Apart from coming off for operations. When I stopped on these occasions my memory became very bad, migraine headaches returned, energy went, and worst of all I turned into the Bitch from Hell. DH was much relieved when I could start taking it again.

Much depends on your symptoms and whether you think you can weather the menopause storm.

MaisieMoo01 Wed 08-Jan-20 17:57:14

I’ve had an awful few years of menopausal symptoms. Not just a few hot flushes but anxiety, aching bones etc. Www.menopausematters.co.uk. Dr Newson dispels any incorrect information with respect to the menopause and all the scare mongering but giving facts. This website has been an absolute Godsend. Read ‘Oestrogen Matters’ by Dr Avrum Bluming and Carol Tavris PhD. It will help you make an informed decision. Sadly a lot of Health professionals are not trained in depth on this subject and give false information. If you’ve been told you can’t take HRT or you’re scared to and you’re suffering life changing symptoms, READ, educate yourselves and I hope you’ll find the right path for you. Nobody should suffer. There are podcasts to listen to on the website, eg. Loss of libido. Effects on all the family when a woman is experiencing the harsh symptoms etc. Good Luck smile

Hotmama Thu 16-Jan-20 17:28:04

I agree with MaisieMoo, one has to do ones own research and then make an informed decision. Some GPs seem to know very little about menopause and HRT but, after all, they are only GENERAL practitioners. Your GP has given you a prescription but if you have doubts, then as I say do your own research and make a decision. The menopause matters website has a wealth of information. I didn’t start HRT until I was 65 and I’m now coming up 70 and wouldn’t be without it.
It doesn’t cure all my symptoms but it makes life a hell of a lot bearable.

BlueBelle Thu 16-Jan-20 18:24:34

Everyone’s so individual I wouldn’t take it but I didn’t have any problems so it was an easy decision I don’t like taking anything unless it’s absolutely imperative but that’s just me if I had had trouble I would have gone down the vitamin, herbal route

GrannyLaine Thu 16-Jan-20 18:35:05

Crazygran you have taken it before and found it great. You're now struggling with symptoms and have a prescription. What is making you hesitate?

TrendyNannie6 Thu 16-Jan-20 18:41:44

I wouldn’t take it but then only had the odd flush n night sweats that I could cope with easily, but my dr suggested trying it, I said no I didn’t see the point. But most of my friends are on it and swear by it, saying they feel years younger and have no aches n pains and are dreading coming off it, so each to their own,

suefone Tue 03-Mar-20 12:29:27

I’m 61 this year had my last period about 4 years ago. But my symptoms are back I never got night sweat and the hot flushes never bothered me. It the foggy brain and the aches and pain and worse the lack of energy. I went to the doctors recently to see about the tiredness she did the usual tests only slight low of iron showed up ,but I’m feeling worse. It’s only just accured to me that it the menopause. Maybe I should be on HRT but she never even mentioned it . Shall I ask to try it . Please excuse my grammar plus I’m on my little phone screen sue

endlessstrife Tue 03-Mar-20 12:41:11

I think it’s an individual choice. I’ve been put off by the breast cancer scares. My mum died of it. I’ve also wanted to wait until my symptoms are” bad enough “, but not sure I’ve ever reached that point, although I know for sure I’m a different person to 3 years ago. I feel below par all the time is probably the best way to explain it. Like you suefone, not overly bothered by hot flushes, but I am just generally hotter all the time. The worst for me I think, has been morning/ travel type sickness. I can’t do anything until that goes off, and medication just makes me drowsy. It’s hard enough to think as it is! If it’s worked before, then go for it OP, sounds like you’ve nothing to lose.