Gransnet forums

Menopause

Looking for advise on hysterectomy & onset menopause

(22 Posts)
Gilmoree Wed 29-Jan-20 17:53:28

Hi,
I am a 46 year old living with PCOS & Endometriosis. My periods have gotten worse over the last few years & my gynae dr has suggested full hysterectomy. I have read another feed here on hysterectomy & I'm okay with that, however I do have some concerns about the menopause. What is in store for me as it will be instant rather than gradual. Any advise would be very welcome. Thanks ladies

GagaJo Wed 29-Jan-20 18:21:16

Hi Gilmoree,

I was exactly your age when I had my hysterectomy. For different reasons (prophylactic surgery).

It WAS instant menopause, but other than the first 2 months or so, it was fine. Hot flushes etc. They lasted more or less for 5 years. I do still get the occasional flush now but barely noticeable (8 years on).

The first two months, the flushes made me feel really ill, as if I could pass out. But as I said, after that, completely bearable.

What I would say though, is the hysterectomy surgery is SUCH a doddle. I woke up the morning after (I always have a bad reaction to general anaesthetics and am out of it for 24 hours or so) and genuinely thought they hadn't done the surgery. No pain, no discomfort even.

Do take it easy afterwards though. Although no pain, I over did it and then suffered. I should have just rested for a week or so. I was back at work (as a full-time secondary teacher) within 4 weeks.

Gilmoree Thu 30-Jan-20 08:45:47

Thank you GagaJo, can I ask did you take any HRT medication? My mood at the best of time is not great & have heard the blues can be bad.

SarahCGransnet (GNHQ) Thu 30-Jan-20 16:34:41

Hi @Gilmoree and welcome to Gransnet! We're just bumping this thread because we know there will be other gransnetters who will have some insight and experience to share and as it's your first post didn't want the thread to drop off our list of Active threads. Hopefully others will be along shortly to help you out. smile. If you want to respond to someone, you can do so by putting the @ symbol before someone's name and they'll get a notification that you've replied to them. Happy posting!

Gilmoree Thu 30-Jan-20 19:56:31

Thank you @GagaJo, can I ask did you take any HRT medication? My mood at the best of time is not great & have heard the blues.

GagaJo Thu 30-Jan-20 20:11:41

No, I didn't. I didn't notice my mood being affected at all to be honest, and I have always been prone to depression.

The reason I couldn't take HRT was the same reason I had the hysterectomy, because I'd had breast cancer and had a highish chance of getting it again.

BlueSapphire Thu 30-Jan-20 20:22:51

I had a hysterectomy at 52, because of an extremely large fibroid which was causing heavy bleeding. The op was ok, although I felt a bit weak and low for a few days afterwards. I was put on HRT patches in the hospital and continued with them for several years, until I had to come off them because of other health concerns. Only had slight symptoms afterwards and have been fine ever since.

Gilmoree Thu 30-Jan-20 20:54:57

Thank you @SarahCGransnet wink

Gilmoree Thu 30-Jan-20 20:59:14

Thank you @GagaJo, I hope you are feeling well & healthy ?

Purpledaffodil Thu 30-Jan-20 21:00:51

Go for it if it is necessary. I had a full one inc ovaries at 50 because of an enormous ovarian cyst (held 4 pints of liquid?)
I had an HRT implant after which was marvellous. Wasn’t allowed any more HRT after that by GP. However never really suffered badly with menopausal symptoms.
Opp couldn’t be done by keyhole because of size of cyst. The recovery time was quite long and I had a phased return to work which was a good idea.

Gilmoree Thu 30-Jan-20 21:03:29

Hopefully I will be lucky with my HRT medication @BlueSapphire. Thank you for your reply.

Sussexborn Thu 30-Jan-20 21:16:05

I had a prolapse op so not quite the same! Take care of yourself and follow the instructions you’ll be given. Can get frustrating but silly to risk setting things back unnecessarily. Stock up your freezer and accept any help offered by friends or neighbours.

Tangerine Thu 30-Jan-20 21:25:17

I had one and never looked back! I took HRT for a couple of years and then stopped. All went well but I would say that I am no longer capable of a lot of lifting.

Gilmoree Sat 01-Feb-20 22:43:08

Thanks for all your replies ladies. I really appreciate your openness. Opp is booked in for early april so have 8 weeks to get myself strong & healthy. Xx

Smileless2012 Sat 01-Feb-20 22:54:01

I had a hysterectomy when I was 36 because of endometriosis Gilmoree and it was a huge relief to be free of the terrible pain that comes with that condition.

I had HRT patches for several years and came off them gradually and had very little in the way of menopausal symptoms.

Wishing you a speedy recovery once the op is overflowers.

Esspee Sat 01-Feb-20 23:39:34

Hi Gilmoree
I'm guessing that when you say full hysterectomy you mean a hysterectomy and oopherectomy. In other words your ovaries will be removed at the same time and possibly your cervix also.
If this is the case your body will go into instant menopause as you won't have ovaries to make oestrogen.
I had this done when I was 40. My surgeon inserted an oestrogen implant during the operation and as a result I felt wonderful afterwards.
I have continued with the oestrogen implants as, having tried all the other forms of transdermal oestrogen, I prefer implants. It involves the insertion of a tiny (match head size) pellet of oestrogen under my skin just twice a year. For the other 363 days I can forget all about it.
I am now nearly 71 and will be on HRT for the rest of my life. It is a matter of quality of life for me. It protects me from osteoporosis, loss of libido, vaginal dryness, vaginal atrophy, pelvic problems, heart problems, Alzheimer's, and depression. I look at least 10 years younger than my peers and still have the energy to work part time (on my feet 8 hours a day)
My advice to you is to discuss with the surgeon your options so that you don't have to go through the menopause if you don't want to.
If you are not having your ovaries removed they may continue to produce oestrogen until normal menopause age but often they start to decrease in efficiency leading to an earlier menopause.
Best wishes for the op. flowers

Coolgran65 Sun 02-Feb-20 01:43:09

I had a hysterectomy at 39. The old fashioned way with 20 staples. Supposed to have 6 weeks off work but went back after 3 weeks. It was a sitting office job. Only had one hot flush. No HRT. I was fine. I'm now 70.

mumofmadboys Sun 02-Feb-20 07:35:39

I had an emergency hysterectomy after childbirth when I was 38. My ovaries were left. I have never had HRT as such ( except vagifem pessaries occasionally) and had very few menopausal symptoms at all.

Liz46 Sun 02-Feb-20 07:56:49

When I was in my forties (about 30 years ago) I had one ovary removed because of a large cyst. A couple of years later I had endometriosis and had a hysterectomy and the the other ovary removed. I quickly started to have hot flushes but couldn't have HRT for a while because the doctors thought this could 'feed' any endometriosis that was left.

Eventually I started on a high dose patch and it was like magic. No stomach ache any more, no moods and no hot flushes! This is what it must be like to be a man I thought!

I am now on the lowest dose patch. I had a really bad fall recently and didn't break anything so I thing the patches have protected my bones.

Gilmoree Sat 08-Feb-20 16:27:53

Thanks for all that information @Espee, yes I will be having my ovaries removed too. I'm not due to see my dr again until the day of the operation, maybe I need to have this all sorted prior to my operation. Really appreciate you telling me your story, xx

Gilmoree Sat 08-Feb-20 16:30:41

Thats great @liz46, yes I'm hoping to be rid of the moods, they can be awful & then i feel crap that i was mean to my family. Hopefully my treatment will give me back my personality ?

Esspee Sun 09-Feb-20 12:40:42

Do let us know how the operation goes @Gilmoree flowers