Gransnet forums

Menopause

Oestrogel or similar

(13 Posts)
Esspee Sat 16-May-20 11:19:14

I was wondering if anybody with experience of using oestrogen gel would like to discuss how they feel about it.
I usually get an implant but the hospital is not allowing surgical procedures at the moment.
The gel was recommended by my consultant so I am persevering.
How do you feel about oestrogen gel?

B9exchange Wed 20-May-20 19:59:49

Used it a while back, seemed to work, but you had to stand with the area unclothed waiting for it to dry, which took a while. It seemed sticky. But if you can live with that it is a whole lot better than suffering!

Luckygirl Wed 20-May-20 20:07:12

I used it - just the once. Every oestrogen sensitive cell down below - and there are LOTS of them - swelled up; and I finished up with something resembling a cauliflower between my legs. Never again!!

pinkquartz Wed 20-May-20 20:10:14

I use it and find it brilliant. no allergy response and i am "very sensitive"
if it is what you need it will work.
I find it dries almost immediately . i do not understand why you would stand waiting.

Garbie Sun 07-Jun-20 20:38:58

I agree with pink quartz. It’s easy, dries quickly, works well.

Esspee Mon 08-Jun-20 23:09:21

I wonder if the fluid retention in my legs has been aggravated by the gel? I put it down to weight gain during lockdown.

I have been spreading the gel pretty widely on my thighs but at a dosage of 4 pumps a day it does take some time to dry. It has only just occurred to me that I could split the application morning/night. I shall try that from tomorrow.

Do you all apply it just to thighs or inner arm and shoulder? Because of Covid19 I had a telephone call from my consultant, not an appointment, and of course a whole list of questions occurred to me after the call had finished.

Thank you all for your responses. Do any other gransnetters have experience with a gel?

Hetty58 Mon 08-Jun-20 23:23:18

The instructions say:

Apply the gel to either:

the outer arm and shoulder of both arms,

or

the mid-inner thigh of both legs

Do not apply on or near the breasts, or near the genital area.

pinkquartz Mon 08-Jun-20 23:29:57

4 pumps a day is a lot.
Maybe check the dosage.

I have never used more than 1 pump twice a day, and it never takes long to dry on my skin so perhaps you are using more than is right for you?

Esspee Tue 09-Jun-20 09:01:11

Thanks @pinkquartz. The four pumps a day is the equivalent to my six monthly implant and was the dose recommended by my consultant. The implant is about the size of a match head. The gel for 6 months involves 13 sophisticated plastic pump packages and must surely cost a lot more and certainly adds to the waste plastic I am trying to eliminate from my life.
I just feel like screaming right now!

Esspee Tue 09-Jun-20 09:07:28

Thanks @Hetty58. I have been putting it on the recommended areas but have questions that I need answered. The swap from implant to gel is due to the hospital closing the outpatients clinics. I had a telephone chat with my consultant but so many questions have cropped up since I started using it so I hoped I could compare notes with fellow users.

Esspee Tue 09-Jun-20 09:13:19

@Luckygirl ???. Wow!

I once had a reaction to a patch where in the course of one day my breasts could almost be seen to be growing but your experience sounds horrific.

Are you completely recovered? ?

Esspee Tue 09-Jun-20 09:16:53

Thanks @Garbie
How long have you been using it?

I read that it increases the collagen in your skin. Have you noticed any changes?
The skin on my shins is paper thin. I wondered about whether applying it there might be beneficial.

Esspee Tue 09-Jun-20 09:20:18

Thanks @B9exchange

Was that quite a long time ago? I did try a gel years ago and it was sticky and took ages to dry. The current one is certainly better.

What do you use now?