Gransnet forums

Menopause

Hot sweats and hair loss

(8 Posts)
BlueBelle Wed 26-Aug-20 06:42:44

Is your thyroid ok ?

Esspee Wed 26-Aug-20 04:04:31

What you don’t hear about until way down the line is that hitting the menopause is the beginning of rapid deterioration due to oestrogen deficiency.
Too much is talked about hot flushes and not enough about osteoporosis, Alzheimer’s, heart disease, vaginal atrophy, prolapse, loss of libido, etc. caused by lack of oestrogen.
We are so fortunate to live in a time when it has been discovered how to replace the oestrogen, giving us back our lives.
Thank heaven for HRT restoring quality of life for post menopausal women.

ellie22 Wed 19-Aug-20 09:09:25

I had the sweats, at least every hour, couldn't sleep or anything. Went on HRT for a few months mainly cos of crippling anxiety and sadness. It has worked but my hair has got v thin so am coming off to see what happens...I didn't really want to go on it but my life was half a life without it....am hoping can manage without but I will see

Nortsat Fri 31-Jul-20 08:35:20

Pink cakes I had hot flushes and hot sweats. I didn’t take HRT and just learned to live with them. I had a fan on my desk at work and one in every room in the house.
If we went away in the UK, we always put a fan in the boot of the car incase the hotel/accommodation didn’t have one. Overseas, the hotels always had air con,which I would keep at arctic temperatures.

It was ok really, hang in there ...

Serendipity, let’s hope it’s all stopped. But if not, hurrah for some respite. I began shedding significant amounts of hair about 4/5 months ago and after about 6 weeks it stopped. I think it was due to my medical condition rather than menopause, but now it’s stopped! ?

Serendipity22 Fri 31-Jul-20 08:19:17

Thank you for your replies... I havent researched HRT at all, I'm 55 yrs old and the words HRT have never come into my vocabulary hahaha....

Onviously something is taking place, my periods suddenly stopped dead almost 12 months ago, previously I was as regular as clockwork, then they just stopped.

No weight gain ( thank goodness ) only hair all over the damn place and these sweats....

I dont know if it's all hit and miss or if it's meant to be endless months and months of this sweating and hair loss ! No doubt it's different for every indididual !!!

flowers

PinkCakes Thu 30-Jul-20 22:40:15

I'm following this thread with interest - I had my last period about 21 months ago, at the age of 59! I don't get the hot sweats, but I have hot flushes, which start suddenly on my chest then up to my head, lasting 5 minutes or so. I get these up to 10 times a day. I'm assuming it's usual, and I'm loathe to take HRT

Esspee Thu 30-Jul-20 21:49:25

I hope the hair loss and sweats are gone for good Serendipity22.
Please don’t let anyone tell you that it is lack of oestrogen which causes hair loss. I have normal levels of oestrogen thanks to HRT (31 years of it) and lately my hair has been shedding alarmingly. I am beginning to think it’s just an age thing. ☹️

Serendipity22 Thu 30-Jul-20 20:37:45

I realise there is a forum about hot sweats and another for hair loss but I wondered it anyone is like myself and got them both at the same time ?

Recently mine have lasted about 4/5 months ... duvet hurled back in middle of night then moments later thrust back over me, then the amount of hair that I am finding all over the house makes me swear blind that the whole cast of Planet of the Apes live here with me....

Then SUDDENLY the sweats stopped and hair is now remaining firmly upon my head .....

So, is it 'normal' to have these bouts or am I thinking absolutely ridiculous that it's all stopped.... after 4 or 5 month ....

I will end my post with a nice smile considering I am looking on the positive side opposed to the negative !
smile