Gransnet forums

Menopause

Prolapse anyone?

(12 Posts)
Nikig Tue 11-Aug-20 13:08:33

I'm almost 60 yrs young and 2 years ago had a uterine polyp removed. All straight forward thankfully . I had the beginning of a prolapse and the gyne mentioned it and asked about urinary problems of which I had and still have except much worse now. And it was bad back then. Now I have a bulge and try as I might, with all the exercises and various machines and gadgets that are supposed to help , I'm no better.
Why didn't gyne continue to monitor me or offer me help? I've read about the problems with the mesh used in this type of surgery, but would take the risk....im thinking along the lines of not only my health and embarrassment having this problem but if I met a man then what??? Any advice anyone please ....stay safe

Kamiso Tue 11-Aug-20 13:23:29

AKA Sussexborn

Is the mesh still used? I had prolapse surgery over twenty years ago. It worked well for me. I have a drawerful of devices that did little to help.

Grammaretto Tue 11-Aug-20 13:31:59

I had a hysterectomy for a prolapse. when I was about your age. The ovaries were left alone.
I think it was partly due to menopause with the lack of hormones etc and I felt only immense relief afterwards and walked a marathon soon after for charity.

Before that I was offered a pessary a plug? but it never fitted. Luckily no-one mentioned these meshes.

Sparklefizz Tue 11-Aug-20 13:40:12

Nikig Did you really persevere with the pelvic floor exercises? I had a bulge and a prolapse back and front, but was horrified at the prospect of surgery as I have other health problems to consider, plus I live on my own so would have to manage post-surgery.

Friends have had an awful time with either mesh surgery, or one friend had to have the surgery repeated a month later because it had "failed".

I mentioned it to my osteopath who is treating my bad back, and she recommended advanced pelvic exercises, as shown on this DVD (www.hab-it.com) and I faithfully worked through them and now, a year later, my muscles are stronger, both prolapses have gone back inside (no bulging) and I am back to normal.

I have made a few of these exercises so much an integral part of my life that I shall continue to do them daily for as long as I can.

Doodle Tue 11-Aug-20 13:47:26

Thank you sparklefizz . That has just given me the kick I needed to get back to exercising. I have really let myself go since January and not bothered with much. I have that DVD and it is really good. Unfortunately, I don’t think it works when you just leave it on the shelf. ?

Kamiso Tue 11-Aug-20 14:01:14

I had to take six weeks off work and not lift anything heavy. So long ago I forget precise details but the surgery worked brilliantly. Very freeing not having to constantly seek out the nearest ladies.

Sparklefizz Tue 11-Aug-20 16:45:50

Doodle

Thank you sparklefizz . That has just given me the kick I needed to get back to exercising. I have really let myself go since January and not bothered with much. I have that DVD and it is really good. Unfortunately, I don’t think it works when you just leave it on the shelf. ?

If only it did!!

Ohmother Wed 12-Aug-20 12:33:38

I’m with you OP. I have the same. I need to get back to doing the exercises I’d been shown. Thank got I didn’t have the mesh. I was told by my lovely GP to avoid the mesh 5 years ago and plump for a hysterectomy. The consultant wouldn’t do a hysterectomy. I’m 60! ?

Greeneyedgirl Wed 12-Aug-20 13:23:32

I had a hysterectomy and repair in my 60s, no mesh. You still need to continue pelvic floor exercises for the rest of your life. It isn’t a magic cure. The other thing is that it is more successful if you are not overweight.

Nikig Thu 20-Aug-20 00:11:33

Can anyone tell me, does a prolapse cause intense painful muscle spasms in the vagina and groin?

GrandmaMoira Thu 20-Aug-20 09:47:41

I had a hysterectomy and bladder and bowel repair for prolapse. It was wonderful afterwards to be able to sit comfortably.
I still need to do the exercises regularly, I take oestriol for vaginal atrophy and do still have issues with a weak bladder.

Sparklefizz Thu 20-Aug-20 13:53:34

Nikig Mine didn't, and I had a prolapse both front and back until I worked hard at advanced pelvic floor exercises to pull it all up.