Gransnet forums

Menopause

Oestrogen gel. Urgent warning

(14 Posts)
Esspee Thu 29-Oct-20 08:31:55

Are many of you using oestrogen gel as HRT?

I went on it temporarily during the height of the CV19 first wave as the hospital wasn’t doing implants.
Despite taking a high dose (four pumps a day) I gradually felt worse and worse. Thought at first this was a result of lockdown until I noticed the dreaded hot flushes were getting worse.

When my next implant appointment for November was cancelled I had had enough. Now in full menopausal rage I had a blood test which showed my oestradiol levels were abysmally low despite taking high doses of gel over the preceding 5 months.

When researching to see if increasing the gel was a possibility I discovered I was not alone in finding the gel wasn’t working for me. My pharmacy had been giving me Oestrodose. This is made by the same company as Oestrogel. It is even supposedly made in the same factory BUT women are reporting that the Oestrodose is not working for them.
If you suspect that this may be the case for you it is possible to insist on Oestrogel. My pharmacist got in a supply for me.

The plastic pump dispenser bottles are the same. White with a turquoise top. Oestrogel is clearly printed on the dispenser. Other dispensers are clearly Oestrodose but some Oestrodose has a sticky label stating Oestrogel which it certainly is not.

Avoid the Oestrodose like the plague. Insist on Oestrogel. If you google the subject you will have what I told you confirmed.

My menopausal rage successfully got me an appointment with a lovely doctor who this week gave me my long overdue implant so you should hear no more from me on the subject. The doctor confirmed what I had learned about the gel. He feels the pharmacies may have been sold fakes.

I couldn’t put the subject behind me without warning others. I will be writing to the minister of health for Scotland on the subject.

Happy to hear from any of you who have experience with gel.

vampirequeen Thu 29-Oct-20 12:37:05

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

VenusDeVillendorf Thu 03-Jun-21 00:49:15

I’ve had no problem with either oestrodose nor the oestrogel.
Both are made in Belguim and are exactly the same.

I understand that the implant is a higher dose. Perhaps your body was more used to the implant and had difficulty absorbing the gel?
There are specific instructions not to use moisturisers etc. and to be fair, a huge number of pumps might not be absorbed correctly.

Delighted you’re back on the hrt implant you like and the one that suits you.

I’ll continue to use the gel as I get on very well with both versions.

I don’t think it’s a good idea to come into a public forum to blame a medication you’re not used to for your symptoms.

If anyone reads your post they might stop using a medication they’ve been prescribed, which isn’t helpful based on one person’s experience of having to change medication, and hearsay from one pharmacist.

For balance, and to be fair, I’ve had no problems with using either, oestrodose or oestrogel, and never used the implant.

Ro60 Thu 03-Jun-21 01:03:13

Thank you Espee forwarned is forearmed I always think.

I've been moved from tablets to patches but think I might need a higher dose.
If I hadn't read your post and was put on Ostradose and it didn't work, I would have probably given up & resigned myself to being old.
venusdevillendorf - don't recognise you?
This forum is a great place for intelligent women to share information.
As I have seen on GN we are all good at making decisions, but being able to talk things through & expand our knowledge is always benificial.

yggdrasil Thu 03-Jun-21 08:05:58

This came just at the right time for me. I have been trying for months to get HRT which was stopped just before I had a major operation. Yeasterday I finally got a phone call from a doctor, (who was not ignoring me like the other one), telling me she would prescribe me this estrogen pump which I had never heard of. I will get it tomorrow and see what happens.

Ldhut5 Mon 21-Jun-21 20:22:13

I have just started Oestrogel (previous on 25mg patches). Can anyone help answer the following?
1. Is 2 pumps normal as starting point, or should it be 1 ( I understand 1 pump is same as 25 patch)
2. Is it OK to use 2 pumps one night, and 1 pump the next, then repeat? Or should I try to do 1 and half pump every day.
3. Must you run into fleshly washed skin. If I shower in morning, can I still put on just before bed?
4. Have you found it helpful with tiredness, low energy, not feeling with it?
Thanks

VenusDeVillendorf Mon 19-Jul-21 15:10:19

@Ldhut5,
Re dosage timing:
if you sleep with a partner, use the gel in the morning and rub into skin that is clean and unmoisturised - this is very important as you can transfer the gel to your partner at nighttime. Do not use at nighttime if you’re with someone all night... it can also transfer onto sheets and duvets if you sweat.

Or dosage amount:
I’d use two pumps every morning, on shoulders and upper arms and thighs. The patches are for a week, but the gel has to be applied every day. Use a hairdryer to blast it dry before you put on your clothes, or touch anything.

If you still have your womb, you’ll need to take progesterone, to keep the epithelium thin.

If you still have a natural cycle, you’ll need to have a period - cyclical hormone treatment.

If you’ve passed menopause and still have your womb you’ll need to take progesterone every day as well as the gel oestrogen - continuous hormone.

If you have an implant which delivered progesterone like the Mirena IUD then you won’t have to take any extra progesterone as it’s delivered locally via the implant.

If you feel you need any other advice, ring your GP or person who prescribed it to you.

Jaxjacky Mon 19-Jul-21 15:17:49

I’m surprised you’re advising another GN on drug usage VenusdeVillendorf when you admonished the OP for doing the same?

VenusDeVillendorf Mon 13-Jun-22 20:29:43

If you read my posts @Jaxjacky, you’ll perhaps understand that I’m against inaccurate fear mongering, which isn’t helpful.

Factual information is not opinion after all.

We need to stop the ‘hysterical’ opinions about hrt, and stick to the facts.

Are you suggesting I conveniently forget the facts I know to be true about HRT, and not give accurate advice, and let the OP confuse people with absolutely rubbish based on her own anecdotal experience and the hearsay of one pharmacist?

How on earth does that help anyone?
HTHU.

lemsip Mon 13-Jun-22 20:38:37

you are replying to a post from july 2021!!

Esspee Mon 13-Jun-22 23:27:14

Just came across this old post of mine from almost a year ago. At that time a huge number of women were complaining that Oestrodose wasn’t working for them. I was most certainly not alone.

VenusDeVillendorf. If you read my post again you will see I said that the consultant who arranged my implant said the pharmacies may have been sold fakes. Oestrodose is a parallel import.

I clearly said if the gel isn’t working for you ask to be prescribed an alternative. This wasn’t fear mongering as you stated. I wanted to ensure that anyone finding the gel wasn’t working for them asked to try a different brand. So I am simply stating facts that were true at the time, for me and many other women.

I suggest, to become better informed, you Google “Oestrodose v Oestrogel.” It pays do do research before spouting nonsense.

Regarding your prescribing in your first post you may use two pumps a day, I used 4+ but the person who asked for advice should be consulting a medically trained professional.

Patches are usually changed twice a week, not once.

Gels should not be dried with heat according to my consultant when I suggested using a hairdryer as it took so long to dry on me.

It is the endometrium which requires progesterone to be taken with oestrogen in those who have a womb to avoid thickening of the endometrium caused by oestrogen.

Cyclical HRT in perimenopausal women is mostly 3 monthly.

Your tone on this thread leads me to suggest you consult a medical professional to look into raising you dosage of oestrogen.

FannyCornforth Tue 14-Jun-22 01:09:31

Unfortunately you currently can’t get Oestrogel at all.
I was on it up until a couple of months ago, and getting on with it very well.
I was confused by the thread until I clocked the date.
It wasn’t exactly helpful resurrecting the threadVenus

Esspee Tue 14-Jun-22 07:24:39

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

FannyCornforth Tue 14-Jun-22 07:33:12

Ooh! I’d better change my tune!
Thankyou Venus for re-starting the thread!
Espee that’s brilliant. Thank you so much. PMing you now…