Gransnet forums

Menopause

Menopause Urinary Tract Infection

(11 Posts)
PBadger Sat 05-Jun-21 14:44:08

I am posting on behalf of my mother who is 75. She suffers constantly from UTI's and has done for many years. She has really been through the wringer with doctors, constant rounds of antibiotics, herbal supplements etc. Nothing helps and it really affects her quality of life. I have seen some research that suggests estrogen may help. Does anyone have any experience of this? Of taking HRT post menopausally for this reason?

MiniMoon Sat 05-Jun-21 15:26:40

I can't help you with the estrogen question I'm afraid. I used to look after a lady who was on a maintenance dose of antibiotics, one daily, for repeated UTIs.
Perhaps it might be an idea to ask her GP if she is suitable for this treatment.
As I remember the lady I looked after took trimethoprim.

PBadger Sat 05-Jun-21 15:28:28

Thanks, I will suggest this.

nanaK54 Sat 05-Jun-21 15:35:07

Has she tried 'd-mannose'?
Is she avoiding all caffeine?

ExD Sat 05-Jun-21 15:37:31

Just an aside, and something to watch out for - my Mum's dementia got worse every time her UTInfections flared up. I think you should pester her GP for a full investigation of her problem poor lady.
I felt that my Mum's supply of whatever antibiotic she was on came to an end too soon and should have been continued until her flare up had completely gone, gone without trace!

greenlady102 Sat 05-Jun-21 15:39:26

simple basic question. Does she drink enough watery drinks or watery foods (melon, citrus and so on)?

theworriedwell Sat 05-Jun-21 15:40:15

My husband is mid 70s and disabled, we now have a supply of antibiotics so he can take them at the first signs of an infection. I'm not sure if that is normal but our GP is very pragmatic and trusts DH not to abuse them. It is reassuring to have them to hand.

sharon103 Sat 05-Jun-21 15:42:46

I agree 100% with NannaK54. .D Mannose tablets are brilliant. I have bought them myself from Amazon. and always have some in the house just in case I need them.
Read the details and reviews.

Sparklefizz Sat 05-Jun-21 16:11:37

I am another person who keeps D Mannose in the house for the first twinges and it never lets me down.

Years ago I had a very bad UTI with several courses of antibiotics. Each time I finished the abx, the UTI returned. Then a friend mentioned D Mannose, and at last it cleared up which was such a relief.

shysal Sat 05-Jun-21 16:34:31

I had this problem for a while, but after a course of Vagifem pessaries I have been well for several years.
A friend had a similar experience. She didn't improve with any of the usual home remedies including cranberry juice and D-Mannose.
Antibiotics didn't work for long, but the pessaries worked wonders, and the hormone is not absorbed into the whole body.

PBadger Sat 05-Jun-21 22:53:52

Thanks everyone for suggestions we will check those out. She does all the usual things, plenty of water, appropriate hygiene and tried all the usual cranberry etc. She has had extensive investigations
but the doctor really only circles back to antibiotics. These work but the infections flare up again shortly after the course ends.