Gransnet forums

Menopause

HRT over 60

(9 Posts)
Jemima7686 Mon 07-Jun-21 22:13:25

Looking for advice. Posted this already but in the wrong place. I have just joined the site. I am 59 (almost 60) and have just started Hrt at my request. Recently I have heard so many positive things about it and decided that I would take my chances as I know that generally it is not thought to be ideal for over 60s. I really wish that I had started years ago. I was wondering if anyone else had started at this age and could let me know their thoughts. Any advice would be appreciated.

Sunnysideup Tue 08-Jun-21 18:17:32

Hi there, yes, I started HRT at the age of 64. After 12 years of hot flushes, insomnia, terrible itching deep inside my ears, complete lack of motivation and interest, etc, along with other health problems, my quality of life was severely compromised. I had been too worried about going on it due to my mother dying of breast cancer but I wish I had started sooner.
I’m now 71 and still on it and will stay on it forever.

varian Tue 08-Jun-21 19:06:25

If it suits you take it. My GP told me she had patients in their eighties who were still on HRT.

NotAGran55 Tue 08-Jun-21 19:50:04

Jemima if you look back on the menopause forum there is a thread with 71 replies on the same question. I have tried to link it here but can’t get it to work.

I can’t add anything myself as I don’t need HRT .

Jemima7686 Tue 08-Jun-21 20:00:25

Hi, thanks for your comments, they are really helpful. I will have a look at the thread. Cheers

Greeneyedgirl Tue 08-Jun-21 20:50:10

I am in my 70s and have taken HRT, for years. I have recently also started vagifem, vaginal oestrogen pessaries because of frequent cystitis attacks, and it has made a dramatic improvement. I would recommend Dr Louise Newson’s podcasts My menopause doctor for lots of really useful information.

Clio51 Wed 09-Jun-21 00:01:04

Did any of you have a lot of up/down doses ? Or was it easy to get your levels right?
Just asking as I’m 63

Jemima7686 Wed 09-Jun-21 19:49:33

I have only been given one dose so far - Kliofem 2 mgs. I have been reading about the body identical hormone patches on the Louise Newson website and they sound much safer and more effective.

Esspee Wed 09-Jun-21 22:37:42

As I have said before, every time this subject comes up, I have been on oestrogen implants for over 30 years now. Can't imagine life without HRT and don't intend stopping ever.

Some people need to try different methods until they find what suits them best. Do not choose pills. There are patches, gells, aerosols and implants all of which work extremely well. Read up on the subject, the NICE Guidelines on the menopause (Google it) is the best practice guidelines all doctors in the UK are expected to follow.