Gransnet forums

Menopause

Oestrogel v patches

(3 Posts)
Ldhut5 Sun 04-Jul-21 11:18:43

I have just started Oestrogel (previous on 25mg patches). Can anyone help answer the following?
1. Is 2 pumps normal as starting point, or should it be 1 ( I understand 1 pump is same as 25 patch)
2. Is it OK to use 2 pumps one night, and 1 pump the next, then repeat? Or should I try to do 1 and half pump every day.
3. Must you run into fleshly washed skin. If I shower in morning, can I still put on just before bed?
4. Have you found it helpful with tiredness, low energy, not feeling with it?
5. For one off weekend, could I revert to patch instead for convenience? Away camping.
Thanks in advance

twinnytwin Sun 04-Jul-21 11:33:09

I think you should be asking your GP these questions really. I have been using Oestrogel since my patches became unavailable. I use one pump daily, after my shower in the morning. I also take a 100mg Progesterone tablet at night.

Esspee Sun 04-Jul-21 13:49:22

Gosh, I used four pumps a day for the short time I tried gel.
If you are happy with patches OP why not stick with them?
Less messy and less time consuming.
All methods of taking oestrogen work to deal with tiredness, low energy etc. (though I do not recommend pills). My choice is implants. You get one twice a year and can forget about it for the other 363 days.
Your pharmacist may be able to answer your questions and if not go straight back to your GP.
If they are useless ask to be referred to a menopause clinic.