Gransnet forums

Menopause

Has anyone else gone through early menopause

(18 Posts)
Peppa1 Fri 23-Jul-21 15:31:04

I went through menopause at 34...period's completely stopped hot flushes, night sweats mood swings. I even tried to take an overdose as I was so low. and my gp at first wouldn't even do a blood test to see if it was the menopause, I was basically laughed out of the surgery. It was another Dr who listened and then referred me to Queen Medical Hospital then they actually diagnosed menopause and put me on hrt. Gp couldn't do it as I'm on warfarin

So what age did you start the menopause

Sunnysideup Fri 23-Jul-21 18:00:39

Hi Peppal I’m so sorry to read of you having such an early menopause and being treated so badly by a member of the medical profession. I do hope you are feeling a lot better now. Thank goodness you have been put on HRT.
My menopause age was pretty textbook at 54 but I’m pretty sure there will be someone along soon who has experienced an early meno. If not, there is a great site call Menopause Matters and they have a very active forum and I know there are ladies on there who have experienced early menopause.

BlueBelle Fri 23-Jul-21 18:07:35

I was 46 it almost happened overnight with not one symptom I never had a hot flush or anything else just stopped full stop My eldest daughter has had the same, barely knew it had happened
Maybe genes I never asked my Mum you didn’t talk about it in them there days

Whiff Sat 24-Jul-21 15:25:51

I went through menopause at 38 but that was because I had a total hysterectomy. I was started on HRT the day after my op and was on it for 16 years and had to come off . Then I started hot flushes but it was a couple of years before the sweats I have them day and night. I'm 63 now. I just put with it .

I am sorry you have had to go through it so young. Unfortunately life isn't fair. And our bodies have a mine of their own. Just glad you found a doctor to help you.

Live life to the full . It's not a perfect world but it can be wonderful. My life isn't perfect but when my husband died at 47. He made me promise to live the best life you can.

You must do to. Menopause doesn't have to be the end . I always try and find a positive out of a negative not easy but I can always find something. Sometimes it's something stupid.

Early on in the year I was planting some plants in the rain and fell. Once down can't get up by myself. Luckily I had workmen coming to fit a new gate. So phoned to check they where on there way. They got stuck in traffic and I was sitting on my artificial lawn for 15 mins. But the positive is my wellies , waterproof trousers and Regatta jacket where totally waterproof and I was lovely and warm. Told you it's silly.

timetogo2016 Sat 24-Jul-21 15:36:31

Hi peppal,pleased you are here,how sad to feel like that.
I started the menopause at the age of 32,which i put down to starting my periods at the age of 9.
Couldn`t take HRT because of the side effects as advised by my Gp.

Sweetpeasue Tue 10-Aug-21 20:12:57

Hi Peppa
I was 42 when I missed a period out completely. For the next year I had one every 3 or 4 months. The usual hot flushes ect. I know shock isn't said to be a factor but the first missed period came a week after mum being diagnosed with cancer. I developed vulvalvestibulitis and saw a dermatologist. Felt terrible for a while as I felt I'd lost all femininity. Also hair loss. So sorry you've been feeling so terrible. There are good Dr's out there but I'm afraid some not so. I went on HRT and all my physical symptoms went and I have to say for me it's been good. Bone density is also something that HRT can help with, especially important when starting Menopause so early. It must have been a shock for you, and I hope you find others that have gone through the same.
Take care of yourself and there is life after periods. Wishing you well and hope you're feeling brighter.

Esspee Tue 10-Aug-21 23:22:49

Surgical menopause at 40, been on oestrogen since then and have no intention of ever going through the menopause. I’m now 72 and feel wonderful.

B9exchange Tue 10-Aug-21 23:32:07

I too had a surgically induced menopause at 41. Started HRT and still using it over 30 years later. Plan to stay on it for life.

Esspee Wed 11-Aug-21 09:42:58

Snap B9exchange

I keep going on about it because I want other women to have the advantages we have experienced.

When I read “menopause is natural” I despair. It is a hormone deficiency. Would you tell a diabetic they shouldn’t take insulin because it’s natural? It is a hormone deficiency too.

Toadinthehole Wed 11-Aug-21 09:49:13

Esspee

Snap B9exchange

I keep going on about it because I want other women to have the advantages we have experienced.

When I read “menopause is natural” I despair. It is a hormone deficiency. Would you tell a diabetic they shouldn’t take insulin because it’s natural? It is a hormone deficiency too.

Yes, but one is meant to happen....the other isn’t! Having diabetes isn’t natural at all. I’m sure my son would be quite upset to hear it described as that, as would many other diabetics.

Esspee Wed 11-Aug-21 12:36:50

When we had much shorter lifespans menopause wasn’t an issue. Thanks to medical intervention we now have an incredibly longer life Toadinthehole
Menopause isn’t “meant” to happen. It is not natural. Like diabetes it is the result of a hormone deficiency.
Why any diabetics would be upset to hear that I don’t know. (My hormone deficiency trumps your hormone deficiency?)
People with an under active thyroid gland suffer from a hormone deficiency and receive thyroxine which corrects their deficiency.
Are you suggesting that somehow, as women, we have to put up with a lesser quality of life as our hormone deficiency is less important as others?

GagaJo Wed 11-Aug-21 12:41:09

I had early-ish menopause at 45 (56 now) due to a total hysterectomy. Horrific hot flushes at the time and some lesser symptoms (huge drop in libido). But overall, the benefits outweighed the symptoms. I couldn't have HRT but I didn't really want to take it anyway.

No more painful or heavy periods (I didn't have the hyst for that reason).
No more mood swings.
Much calmer overall.

I do think that maybe I will suffer some osteoporosis at some point. But overall, I'm delighted that I had it.

Kittye Wed 11-Aug-21 12:44:05

I had my last period when I was 40. Had dreadful menopausal symptoms for a few years until I was put on HRT.
What a difference that made to my life ! I would definitely recommend it.

Toadinthehole Wed 11-Aug-21 16:37:00

Esspee

When we had much shorter lifespans menopause wasn’t an issue. Thanks to medical intervention we now have an incredibly longer life Toadinthehole
Menopause isn’t “meant” to happen. It is not natural. Like diabetes it is the result of a hormone deficiency.
Why any diabetics would be upset to hear that I don’t know. (My hormone deficiency trumps your hormone deficiency?)
People with an under active thyroid gland suffer from a hormone deficiency and receive thyroxine which corrects their deficiency.
Are you suggesting that somehow, as women, we have to put up with a lesser quality of life as our hormone deficiency is less important as others?

We rode through puberty without intervention. No one tried to stop it. I agree, if you can take it, and it works, great. Diabetes is a medical condition. Insulin shouldn’t stop. It’s supposed to be there for life, but something goes wrong. Menopause is about using up the eggs to no longer reproduce. So hopefully, people won’t be having children well into their old age.

I can’t understand why you see them the same, but so be it. We’ll have to agree to disagree.

Esspee Thu 12-Aug-21 09:09:54

I used the pill to control my fertility and had my tubes tied after my second child so refusing to go through the menopause with it’s attendant health issues is simply a natural progression for me.

Neha112 Sat 14-Aug-21 12:04:32

I was 36 when my menopause got started and it was really a tough time for me to pass. But now I'm fine. I used some supplements that helped me a lot

Esspee Sat 14-Aug-21 15:34:21

The most devastating effects of the menopause usually don't manifest until years later.
Osteoporosis, vaginal atrophy, osteoarthritis, prolapse, incontinence, etc. etc. are all the result of menopause.
So sad women are not informed about this.

GagaJo Sat 14-Aug-21 17:32:12

I know a lot of women not had those issues Esspee, including my mother. 84 and no long term effects. Yes, some will, but not all.