Gransnet forums

Menopause

Hrt scared

(21 Posts)
destiny Tue 14-Dec-21 23:20:41

Hi
I just turned 60 been having symptoms for years.things are not getting any better worse if anything.Moods crying lots of anxiety feel like i want to get out of this body.ive been given combined patches last week but im scared to use as im 60
feel so alone please help.

destiny Tue 14-Dec-21 23:30:08

Hi
I just turned 60 been having symptoms for years.things are not getting any better worse if anything.Moods crying lots of anxiety feel like i want to get out of this body.ive been given combined patches last week but im scared to use as im 60
feel so alone please help.

Esspee Tue 14-Dec-21 23:37:53

Being on HRT gives you your life back. Not only will it help with your current symptoms but will help prevent osteoporosis, vaginal atrophy, prolapse, loss of libido, osteoarthritis, and incontinence. Lucky you.

paddyann54 Tue 14-Dec-21 23:38:20

Hi destiny please use the patches,its the only way you'll get back to some sort of normal.I've been on HRT since my early 50's and am now 67 (almost68) if I hadn't taken them I;d have been divorced or dead.My symptoms were horrific and the gynaecologist I see is quite happy for me to stay on them for life.I know HRT got a bad press years ago but its different nowadays so f your doctor has prescibed them its what you need.Good luck I hope you start to feel better soon,though it may take a few weeks for a complete turnaround of your symptoms so dont give up on it ,persevere .

Ro60 Wed 15-Dec-21 01:04:19

As others have said, HRT is better than it used to be. 6 years ago I was given the choice of antidepressants or HRT. (Cried at the drop a a hat)
One of the added bonuses was, my thinning hair grew back.

If I don't use the patches, bladder problems, depression, tiredness all come back quite quickly.

I've recently been moved to the patches because they're safer. on
Now, slightly older than you - on info I've gained from many on GN I'm happy to stay on them for ever.

destiny Wed 15-Dec-21 01:53:27

Thank you al so much replying to me paddyann i feel like that now do feel like Im going to die hate my husband alot of the time blame him for everything.Esspee i have osteoporosis in both knees and vaginal atrophy very low libido i feel pretty desperate I also have no thyriod which dosent help with all the
other stuff but I cant go on like this.im so glad i came here and thankyou all for taking the time to respond smile

destiny Wed 15-Dec-21 02:00:38

Hi
Ro60 sorry didnt meen to miss you out i think i am depresssed
the tiredness is overwhelming.feel stiff and the hair.
thanks

stella1949 Wed 15-Dec-21 05:00:58

I've been using HRT for years - it's a life saver. My symptoms made me so sad and miserable. Now life is normal and I'm happy to keep using it indefinitely. I have a breast screen every year of course, but other than that I'm happy to keep using it and enjoy life.

Ro60 Wed 15-Dec-21 08:06:11

No worries Destiny ? I hope these responses help you make a decision.

Sunnysideup Fri 17-Dec-21 15:59:12

It won’t solve all your problems but will go a long way towards it. I didn’t start until I was 64 and had battled for 12 years. Am now 71 and life is worth living and I shall remain on HRT for the rest of my life.

B9exchange Fri 17-Dec-21 16:04:03

Been on it for 28 years, don't be scared, recoup your life!

destiny Sun 19-Dec-21 23:30:55

Hi to All
I have had the patch 5 days now i feel worse is that normal
my skin is red and itchy on my neck and face and tummy pain.
has anyone else had this to start with.{hmm}

paddyann54 Mon 20-Dec-21 00:37:37

Dont give up ,we all react differently to it.Its replacing hormones you haven't had for a long time so expect some side effects until it settles.It will get better

welbeck Mon 20-Dec-21 00:55:43

what does the patient information leaflet say about side effects.
be guided by that.
if it says these are common, then wait and see.
if it says report such things to GP, then do that.
good luck.

Ro60 Mon 20-Dec-21 01:45:28

6 weeks in, 6 weeks out quite often with medication. However, no, I didn't have a rash.
It did take a while to kick in though. At one point I tried to get a higher dose but GP said to persevere.

Esspee Thu 23-Dec-21 11:36:32

Destiny it can take time to find the right method and formulation for you. I get a rash from adhesives so can't use patches. I have used oestrogen gel which is OK but personally my preference is a hormone implant. Half an hour twice a year and for the other 363 days of the year I can forget about it. Been on it for 31 years and never coming off.

Jane43 Thu 23-Dec-21 11:50:01

stella1949

I've been using HRT for years - it's a life saver. My symptoms made me so sad and miserable. Now life is normal and I'm happy to keep using it indefinitely. I have a breast screen every year of course, but other than that I'm happy to keep using it and enjoy life.

I was told I had to come off it because of health scares at the time. I suffered years of menopausal symptoms including hot flushes for years and really wished I could have gone back on it. When the hot flushes started to subside I had breast cancer and after a lumpectomy I was put on an oestrogen blocker which made the hot flushes and other symptoms return with a vengeance. I took it for two years but a few months ago I decided to come off it and am feeling so much better, the continual hot flushes have all but disappeared, I have lost all the weight I put on and am sleeping so much better. Lack of oestrogen can cause so many problems including irreversible ones such as prolapse and vaginal atrophy both of which I have and I am also osteopenic which I am sure is down to the oestrogen blocker. Personally I would never turn down the opportunity to take HRT.

Babs758 Thu 23-Dec-21 12:05:48

Another fanhere! Started taking it in my early fifties as work life was becoming impossible with the flushes and bad moods. Felt better about two weeks. My skin doesn’t like the patches much. I’m sure the glue has been changed but a small price to pay. The HRT plus taking vitamin D has been particularly effective in the winter months. I hope it works for you.

Foxgloveandroses Wed 05-Jan-22 16:48:08

I started HRT in Oct '21 within a matter of weeks I felt so much better. I would whole heartedly recommend it ?

Luckygirl3 Wed 05-Jan-22 17:29:13

You are a lucky lady. My GP took me OFF HRT at your age and refused to prescribe it thereafter.

Polly7 Sun 13-Mar-22 10:13:46

Hi. If anyone there pls
I’m in 60s Iv lost yrs through lack of energy fatigue and sadness, I was naturally bubbly before
My hip is suffering that I could get replaced but feel I should try hrt patch first, gp has given me prescription
Anyone had similar hip/joint relief pls?
I admit I’m scared I thought I was going mad, If you take it how do you keep track of womb lining thickness? And what if it gets too thick??
Thanks in advance x