Gransnet forums

Menopause

Starting on HRT aged 59

(18 Posts)
HazelEyes Sat 22-Oct-22 15:24:13

This year I started to get repeated UTIs for which my GP prescribed Ovestin cream. I was really concerned that my UTIs could be a result of vaginal atrophy (at such a young age!). This led me to research HRT and I realised some of my symptoms such as feeling low, forgetfulness, aches and pains etc most probably related to low Estrogen levels. I discovered that HRT is a lot safer than I had believed and can also help reduce the risk of various diseases such as osteoporosis, cardiovascular disease. I was keen to start HRT asap and luckily my GP was happy to prescribe it.
Is there anyone else on here who like me did not consider HRT because they didn't suffer badly with night sweats and hot flushes plus they thought it was not safe to take?

Esspee Sat 22-Oct-22 16:03:43

HazelEyes It is an education problem.

It is only lately that menopause has been given the publicity needed.
In the past, few women understood that the early side effects of menopause that some women suffer are nothing compared with the ones which can ruin your quality of life in your later years. Osteoporosis, vaginal atrophy, osteoarthritis, prolapse, etc. are the result of low oestrogen levels not just old age.
I hope you manage to avoid all of these and can stay on HRT for life.

(HRT is contraindicated for some women. Your doctor will discuss this with you before you decide whether to take it)

icanhandthemback Sat 22-Oct-22 16:16:12

I was in my 40's when I had a radical hysterectomy but some years before an investigation into my constant candida found that I was heading towards the menopause. It never occurred to me not to take HRT because the surgeon said I would need it. Apart from finding the right one (he suggested a tablet) I have no troubles whatsoever and they'd have to wrestle it off me if they want me to stop taking it!

HazelEyes Sat 22-Oct-22 20:28:23

@icanhandthemback
I expect your surgeon recommended HRT because of your circumstances. Most women are not offered HRT routinely. Have you swapped the tablets for topical estrogen.

HazelEyes Sat 22-Oct-22 20:35:31

Esspee

HazelEyes It is an education problem.

It is only lately that menopause has been given the publicity needed.
In the past, few women understood that the early side effects of menopause that some women suffer are nothing compared with the ones which can ruin your quality of life in your later years. Osteoporosis, vaginal atrophy, osteoarthritis, prolapse, etc. are the result of low oestrogen levels not just old age.
I hope you manage to avoid all of these and can stay on HRT for life.

(HRT is contraindicated for some women. Your doctor will discuss this with you before you decide whether to take it)

Thanks, yes I hope so. Hopefully I haven't left it too late. smile

FarTooYoungForThis Sat 22-Oct-22 20:43:31

HazelEyes
I also didn't consider HRT as I only had the occasional hot flush and associated HRT with breast cancer and blood clots. I didn't know about the post menopausal problems linked with low estrogen. I am going to look into this further but as I am 61 it may be too late.

icanhandthemback Sat 22-Oct-22 21:34:46

HazelEyes

@icanhandthemback
I expect your surgeon recommended HRT because of your circumstances. Most women are not offered HRT routinely. Have you swapped the tablets for topical estrogen.

No because I can't tolerate the patches because my skin is sensitive and the gel didn't work as well.

SachaMac Sat 22-Oct-22 21:37:56

I asked for HRT in my early 50’s, had brain fog, flushes, night sweats, weight gain, insomnia etc then started getting severe back pain & sciatica. My GP was against prescribing so I gave up asking. I ended up on repeated prescriptions for strong pain killers.

I am now in my early 60’s, MRI shows I have lumbar & cervical disc degeneration, until the menopause I was fine, fit & healthy.

Wish I’d had the chance to at least try it and maybe prevent some bone loss. I’m very tempted to ask for it again to help prevent further damage. Unsure if they’d give it me at this stage. My mum had similar problems and now in her 80’s has a severe bladder prolapse which has caused her so much misery. Would be interesting to hear if anyone else started it later on and felt much better.

icanhandthemback Sat 22-Oct-22 22:02:02

SachaMac, please speak to your GP about it again. There is new awareness so maybe you will get a better response.

HazelEyes Sat 22-Oct-22 22:58:35

sachaMac
Yes definitely discuss with your GP. My GP said the most benefits are gained by starting HRT within 10 years of menopause but that's not to say it's too late as you are only in your early 60s. Do your own research too. I found Louise Newson, Menopause Expert very helpful, Google her and you will find the most up to date information on taking HRT. She seems to support starting HRT long after menopause. But you need to take your own personal circumstances into account so get expert advice.

Esspee Sun 23-Oct-22 13:44:57

SachaMac

I asked for HRT in my early 50’s, had brain fog, flushes, night sweats, weight gain, insomnia etc then started getting severe back pain & sciatica. My GP was against prescribing so I gave up asking. I ended up on repeated prescriptions for strong pain killers.

I am now in my early 60’s, MRI shows I have lumbar & cervical disc degeneration, until the menopause I was fine, fit & healthy.

Wish I’d had the chance to at least try it and maybe prevent some bone loss. I’m very tempted to ask for it again to help prevent further damage. Unsure if they’d give it me at this stage. My mum had similar problems and now in her 80’s has a severe bladder prolapse which has caused her so much misery. Would be interesting to hear if anyone else started it later on and felt much better.

The latest guidelines are that HRT can be started up to 10 years after menopause. Of course it is up to you to remember just when your last period was. You might want to read that again.

SachaMac Mon 24-Oct-22 09:09:45

Thanks everyone, will pursue it with my GP.

Alioop Mon 24-Oct-22 09:42:18

A male doctor talked me out of going on HRT, his words were to "ride it out". I had sweats, embarrassing flushes, pain, etc and went back, but to a female nurse. She put me on patches and they have helped with some of the symptoms, but I've now got awful pain in my hands, hips and lower back. I often think if the doctor had given it to me 5 years ago when I was 51 it might of prevented this.

HazelEyes Mon 24-Oct-22 20:50:49

Alioop
That's so sad that you didn't get the help you needed at the time and that your GP was not educated on the menopause. How long have you been on HRT now? I hope your pain improves.

Serendipity22 Thu 09-Mar-23 11:22:55

Hi

I am thinking i am starting with the menopause, out of all the symptoms I am experiencing, it is the anxiety/ panic that i am concentrating on sorting out, the rest I can deal with and don't need help with.

I guess i am thinking that I dont need to go on HRT for just 1 serious issue ( the anxiety/panic ) BUT then I think but DO I need to go on HRT to help the issue with osteoporosis etc !

I take Amitriptyline ( have done for past 5 years ) and I was TRYING to ween myself off them so I halved my dose (( down to 10mg )) but in the cold light of day with this horrendous anxiety I decided to up it back to 20mg and it has helped enormously...
Soooooo i am left with do I go on HRT or not??? .. do I start on vitamins or not???
🤔

Ro60 Thu 09-Mar-23 11:51:55

Seven years ago I went to the doctor finding myself tearful at the slightest thing, anxious and tired.
My doctor said I could see the mental health nurse or try HRT.
I opted for the latter.
My hair has grown back - it was becoming very fine and I have found no need for CBT .
When I ran out I really noticed a difference - bladder weekness, night sweats etc.
Now, so long as I slap the patches on they work well but leave it a day late & I notice.
My confidence is not what it used to be but part of that is probably life events.

FannyCornforth Thu 09-Mar-23 12:41:48

Hello Serendipity
I think that you need to start your own thread, but really you need to speak to your GP or other HCP.
You’ve got a lot going on health wise and I don’t think that we can help that much.
For what it’s worth, I’m on HRT. I had my last period aged 47.
I realise now that many of my health problems may have been that I was peri menopausal for years and didn’t realise.
The main reason that I started on HRT is that I was a sweaty, smelly mess. I’ve always been a very ‘hot’ person, but it was getting unbearable.
I also have Generalised Anxiety Disorder for which I take Citalopram.
I have been taking Pregabalin for nerve pain, and that has really helped my anxiety.
But yes, speak to your GP thanks

Serendipity22 Thu 09-Mar-23 19:51:25

Thank you Fanny

I rang the surgery this a.m and a doctor rang me back later. I said that i wanted a blood test and that the MS nurse was writing to request 1, i also explained about all symptoms, panic attacks being the worst.

So i am having a blood test tò determine if I am going through menopause.

What is Generalised Anxiety Disorder ?

Thank you for your reply to me on this matter..... Much appreciated. 😃