Gransnet forums

Menopause

Applying Estrogen Gel Question.

(7 Posts)
Mandrake Sun 25-Dec-22 09:13:02

My doctor has given me Ovestin to try. Most of my symptoms are not so much internal but surrounding area. The instructions are to apply internally but make sure I spread some around the problem external areas. There's such a small amount of gel, I'm not sure I can do both. Can I just spread it around the surrounding area rather than inserting it? I figure it will absorb the same. Maybe someone has some experience and can advise?

Sparklefizz Sun 25-Dec-22 09:31:28

Maybe alternate where you apply it. I use Vagirux but it comes as a pessary with an applicator so I have no choice.

Mandrake Sun 25-Dec-22 09:46:09

Thanks Sparklefizz. I wasn't sure if that was an option but it makes sense. I'll be discussing it with the doctor after a couple of months, so will let them know that I'm doing that.

MrsKen33 Sun 25-Dec-22 20:24:59

I use Ovestin. When you have put the required amount in the applicator just take a tiny bit on your finger for outside. Then place the rest in your vagina. You will find that over the next few hours a little will leak out anyway and lubricate the outside area with nothing for you to do. Good luck with it. I have been using it for just a year and it has been marvellous. An absolute Godsend .

Mandrake Sun 25-Dec-22 21:09:21

Thanks MrsKen33. I really hope it works as well for me.

BigBertha1 Sun 25-Dec-22 23:12:14

I have had 2 weeks of Vagirux haven't 'tested' it yet but external areas seem more comfortable

Mandrake Mon 26-Dec-22 05:15:32

Thanks BigBertha. I've just had three days but I think it feels promising. A while to go yet to see if it's really going to help. This menopause stuff is hard.