Gransnet forums

Menopause

Hot sweat = Anxiety.

(6 Posts)
Serendipity22 Fri 10-Feb-23 15:57:51

It seems of late that when a hot sweat descends upon me, it is closely followed by anxiety/panic ... once I have cooled down by removing an item of clothing, the panicky feeling goes away !!!!!!!!

Does anyone else relate to this situation ?

Thank you for all replies.... 😃

( ive put this post on the menopause thread because seeing as i am going through the menopause, I am assuming the hot sweats and anxiety are linked !)

lemsip Fri 17-Feb-23 13:52:48

surprised this has had no responses. Must be many who are having similar difficulties

blueberry1 Fri 17-Feb-23 14:08:09

I am well past the menopause but still suffer hot sweats and yes, they make me feel panicky too. Sometimes I even feel like I might faint, especially if in a shop or public place.
I'm not sure if these are just panic attacks. In your case I would assume it is a menopause symptom but maybe mention it to your GP in case your anxiety is due to another cause.
Hope you get further replies from those who are still menopausal to reassure you.

Serendipity22 Sat 18-Feb-23 23:55:22

Thank you for your replies....
Yes i am going to book an appointment with my gp to discuss it all... im totally confused because I have MS and apparently anxiety is common, so im thinking is it menopause, is it the MS?

Also .... when are you meant to get through the menopause? Is it after a year of no periods? Proper confusing. 😕

SunshineSally Sun 19-Feb-23 00:10:22

Yes, you can consider yourself post menopausal when you’ve not had periods for a year. If you’re still having some months with periods then you’re peri menopausal (i.e going through the menopausal stage).
For those hot flushes - get yourself some Magicool spray (or similar). It’s a cold spray in a can and is marvellous 🤩 x

Serendipity22 Sun 19-Feb-23 09:15:45

Ohhh thank you....
I must start with you mention of Magicool.... yes I am indeed a fan of Magicool thanks to Fanny who brought my attention to it last year.

Right so regarding the menopause, so no periods ( or shows) in 12 months means Im thought it ! Thank you for the information. So im thinking if Im having these anxiety attacks ( and 1 month ago an horrendous panic attack which resulted in me going to hospital ) I am thinking they may be related to the MS ! ( if I am i the bracket of ending the menopause)

I am seeing my MS nurse on Tuesday next week so I will ask her what she thinks and also make an appointment to see my gp to see what she/he thinks.

So confusing, but whichever cause it relates to, that is immaterial because I need to deal with these attacks, be it they caused by the menopause or the MS, action is needed.

Thank you very much for your help.

😃