Gransnet forums

Menopause

Amitriptyline for menopause??

(7 Posts)
Serendipity22 Wed 15-Mar-23 14:05:53

Right, here I go AGAIN ( im posting endlessly on the menopause.. I havent even had my blood tests to confirm yet )

Right, so i have for the past 6 years been prescribed Amitriptyline for anxiety ( ever since my mum passed away ) over the course of the years I have said to myself START REDUCING THE DOSE... COME ON, YOU CAN DO IT.... So i brought myself down from 20mg to 10mg ( daily ) THEN the hot flushes, panic/ anxiety attacks, irritability blah blah blah occurred so I upped it back to 20mg (daily)

I havent had a hot flush orrrr (THANKFULLY ) panic/anxiety attack, the irritability is there slightly but I can now cope with that considering the others have stopped.

Soooooo, my question is has anyone else experienced this?

🙂

FannyCornforth Wed 15-Mar-23 14:38:54

Hello, it’s me again! 😊
I’m having all sorts of problems coming off Tramadol and Pregabalin.
I believe that Pregabalin is a similar drug to Amitriptyline.
I’m in the middle of stuff at the moment, but I’ll be back later.
Sorry that you are having such a tough time thanksbrew

IrishDancing Wed 15-Mar-23 15:23:25

I’ve been taking amitriptyline for arthritic pain for years and had no menopausal symptoms whatsoever so you may be right Serendipity. I never thought of it at the time. My dosage has gone up as my pain increased but I was taking 10/20mg around that time.

Serendipity22 Wed 15-Mar-23 18:54:06

Awwww thank you Fanny and I am sorry you are having all this trouble.... being prescribed something which helps enormously is such a pressure off but the to ween ourselves off it can pose a huge problem,which in SOME cases can be worse rhan the initial reason for taking them !!!

IrishDancing thank-you for your reply, yes its prescribed for all manner of problems, i am going to do a bit more homework on it all, I just find it baffling how this tablet can override a lot of menopause symptoms ( that is IF it is the menopause ) I am 58 years old and haven't had a period in over 12 months !!!!!!
At first I THOUGHT my symptoms were all in connection with my MS but on telling my MS nurse, she said it sounded like the menopause....
I will start my research when I cone off GN.... 🧐

AskAlice Wed 15-Mar-23 19:48:12

I took Amitryptylene for 18 months every night when I had a slipped disc and sciatica. Horrendous pain, and they did help enormously with comfortable sleep.

I was on a very high dose - four tablets each night although I don't remember what the total dosage was. When I had surgery and the pain had abated somewhat I did reduce the tablets with the advice and help from my GP. But what I would say is that, if the medication is doing a job and you have no horrendous side-effects, why do you feel the need to reduce your dosage?

I also took anti-depressants for over 20 years and they did their job until I felt that I no longer required them, and again I was supported by my GP while I was reducing the dosage gradually.

If you feel you are struggling, then please don't feel that there is a sense of failure because you have started taking your previous dose. If it works, then surely that it what you need to do...

Serendipity22 Wed 15-Mar-23 22:09:13

Thank you AskAlice the reason for the reduction from 20mg to 10mg was a case of come on, you don't need to be on these anymore. 6 YEARS ON TABLETS !!!!! type of thing. I think its a case of rolling sleeves up and battling on. Thinking I was strong enough to ween off them, not to be dependant on them. Obviously not the case.

😦

Whiff Mon 27-Mar-23 06:52:24

Serendipity I have been taking 10mg twice a day of Amptriplyine since 1992 for nerve pain . When it gets worse take an extra one of a lunch time then back down to the twice once the pain flare is over.

I had a total hysterectomy when I was 38 was on HRT for 16 years then they took me off it . The hot flushes and day and night time sweats started still have them and I will be 65 next month. I just put up.with them as I am on enough tablets for a neurological and heart condition.

A friend of mine tries any herbal potion that's supposed to help with menopause including the magnet attached to your knickers which slipped and ended up in a delicate area so that went into the bin. If you syptoms are really bad talk to your GP . Hopefully you can get help .