Gransnet forums

Menopause

Vagifem not working any more

(10 Posts)
Monique7 Wed 30-Aug-23 13:38:03

Using vagifem twice a week isn't enough anymore and I am especially sore and dry around the entrance. My inner labia have both shrunk and fused to the outer labia (sorry tmi). I thought using vagifem would prevent this! Any advice or similar experiences would be really helpful!

kittylester Wed 30-Aug-23 14:26:41

That sounds horrid.. when I was first prescribed vagifem, my vp said I could use it more often if I felt it would help. It is very low dose and topically applied..

Maybe talk to your gp?

sharon103 Wed 30-Aug-23 14:32:31

See your doctor. It could be Lichen Sclerosus ?

Monique7 Wed 30-Aug-23 15:52:17

Thank you for your advice, yes I will make a GP appointment. I have been putting it off as feel so embarrassed.

Iam64 Wed 30-Aug-23 16:11:06

Yes, definitely a GP appointment. Best of luck

LindyloosaGran Wed 06-Sep-23 16:54:39

The hospital told me I might need to do the ‘every night for 2 weeks’ regime every now and again. Plus increase to 3 x a week.

DerbyshireLass Wed 06-Sep-23 17:11:08

I too am struggling with VA. I used Replens quite happily for several years but it's just not enough now.

So I am now trialling Gina (esodrial). You can buy it over the counter but you will need to speak to a pharmacist and answer a short questionnaire. I couldn't get a drs appt and was made to see The practice nurse was worse than useless. She basically said "well what do you expect at your age".

It's Been two weeks with the Gina now so still early days but I do feel a bit more comfortable. Apparently it takes about 8 weeks to fully kick in but I definitely see some improvement,

My sister is an assistant pharmacist. She spoke to the chief pharmacist on my behalf and he has suggested I also try menopace plus. You can take both Gina and menopace together.

I've just started the menopace yesterday because I wanted to ease myself in gently and see how the Gina went first just in case there were any side effects.

The pharmacist said I need it give it months and if no real improvement see a gynaecologist.

Hope you find something to make things a bit easier.

DerbyshireLass Wed 06-Sep-23 17:13:10

Sorry. .....need to give it 3 months....

Monique7 Tue 19-Sep-23 08:59:00

Thanks for all your replies, I have upped the vagifem to every other day or as needed (which is helping) and am waiting for a referral as gp suspects lichen sclerosus.

PinkCosmos Tue 19-Sep-23 09:09:43

I used to use Replens as it is hormone free. Oestrogen cream gave me migraines. I always had the white discharge that seems to be common with Replens if you read the reviews.

A couple of months ago I changed to Yes VM (vaginal moisturiser). It does not have parabens. I have found this to be much better in terms of moisturisation. It does not come with an applicator so I have been using an old Replens applicator to apply it internally. You can apply it externally with a finger. It is more runny in consistency that Replens but the results are superior - for me anyway. I get mine online from Superdrug.

I also have much smaller inner labia than previously. They were never big but now they are almost non existent. Is this just something that goes with the menopause? I also hope that this isn't TMI.