Gransnet forums

Menopause

Weighted blankets

(16 Posts)
DillytheGardener Sun 27-Sep-20 16:36:55

I’ve been struggling with sleeping through the night. It started when my son’s moved abroad and I developed anxiety, I worry about them late at night. A friend suggested a weighted blanket, has anyone got on well with one and what are a good affordable make to try? I’d like one I can take the cover off and wash.

DillytheGardener Sun 27-Sep-20 16:38:21

I put this in the wrong topic - sorry!

kittylester Sun 27-Sep-20 16:40:13

We bought a 'heavy' duvet to help with insomnia but have reverted to a lighter one as it settles round us more.

DillytheGardener Sun 27-Sep-20 16:43:08

Where did you buy yours from Kittylester? Did it help at all?

Jane10 Sun 27-Sep-20 16:43:30

Weighted blanket transformed my DGS's long standing sleep problems.

Jane10 Sun 27-Sep-20 16:43:51

It was a Koala one

kittylester Sun 27-Sep-20 17:01:20

The heavy duvet was from John Lewis I think.

DillytheGardener Sun 27-Sep-20 19:15:51

Thank you all and lovely to hear your positive experience with your DGS. I know if I was able to sleep I’d be better able to deal with my situation, but it’s hard to be rational when I’m tired and sleep deprived. I’m going to look up your recommendations and see if I can get one this week to try out. I should have bought one sooner but with such a hot summer it seemed madness.

NotAGran55 Sun 27-Sep-20 19:20:25

I bought a John Lewis one and love it . I put in into a duvet cover .

Sparklefizz Sun 27-Sep-20 19:21:53

Dilly I've had my weighted blanket for nearly a year now. It's brilliant, so comforting, and I love it. It's a Koala which was reckoned to be one of the best when I did some research before buying it. I have absolutely no complaints.

There have been 2 threads about weighted blankets in the past which you might want to search.

Sparklefizz Sun 27-Sep-20 19:22:38

NotAGran55

I use a top sheet and put my weighted blanket over that.

NotAGran55 Sun 27-Sep-20 19:56:46

Sparklefizz

NotAGran55

I use a top sheet and put my weighted blanket over that.

That’s a good idea - thank you . It’s a bit of a struggle to get it into the cover I must say .
It is grey which I don’t like but I could cover it in the daytime with a bedspread/throw or a duvet in the right colour.

Jane10 Sun 27-Sep-20 20:05:17

The furry fleecy side of the Koala ones look like furry throws. The silvery grey tones well with all bedding. Its very attractive.

Guinivere68 Mon 19-Oct-20 10:47:37

Hi Dizzy I was waking in the night with a racing heartbeat and doc could find nothing wrong except stress. So did some research and a weighted blanket was recommended to help you deal with anxiety at night. I looked online and discovered they are about £60 and more. Then I decided to put an extra duvet on top -just a light weight one and it has done the trick! You can also try a grounding sheet that goes on top of the matress and plugs into the house earth. Or try a grounding exercise just before you go to bed. There are plenty online. Meditation will help too. Hope this helps.

EllanVannin Mon 19-Oct-20 11:22:12

I've always slept well because I've had heavy bedclothes on top of me. I've preferred weight instead of flimsy and invested in Merino wool top blanket and one underneath me---no need for hot water bottles or electric blankets.
Also a feather quilt, covered overall by a candlewick bedspread or a cotton padded one for a change. Natural fibres.

Sparklefizz Mon 19-Oct-20 12:26:15

You can also try a grounding sheet that goes on top of the matress and plugs into the house earth.

I've got one of those as well, plus a grounding pillowcase, and also my Koala weighted blanket. I'm good to go. zzzzzz