Gransnet forums

News & politics

Stephen Lawrence

(86 Posts)
jangly Fri 01-Jul-11 17:49:05

Let us hope and pray that the killers of this lovely young lad get their come-uppance at last. I know it won't bring him back but it would surely provide some comfort to his parents. www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/crime/8520560/Stephen-Lawrence-two-charged-over-murder.html

jingle Mon 14-Nov-11 12:48:41

I hope these b-----s get thrown in jail at last. (Trial starts today, if anyone's interested)

em Mon 14-Nov-11 13:40:42

Yes Jingle it's outrageous that they've got away with it this long. Let's hope that mother and father see justice done this time.

jingle Tue 15-Nov-11 10:40:18

Thank you for replying em. No-one else care at all?

I suppose you think it doesn't concern you.

It does.

glammanana Tue 15-Nov-11 10:58:51

I saw Mrs Lawrence's photograph in the morning paper,the poor woman looks haunted I really feel for her and her Husband,I truely hope things go well for them this time,such a waste of a young life.

Greatnan Tue 15-Nov-11 11:01:22

Jingle, it is not always possible for some of us to read every post every day, and I think it is uneasonable of you to suggest we don't care.
In fact, the continuing racism, homophobia and sexism of some of the police concerns me greatly, but other than saying 'Yes, it is terrible, I hope they get life without parole' there does not seem to be a lot anybody can usefully say.

kittylester Tue 15-Nov-11 11:02:32

I agree too! It goes without saying really - so maybe that's why no-one has. I have been really irritated for years by the swaggering of these two men and the others they were initially charged alongside. If what was published in the papers around the time of the first trial is to be believed, they were responsible for lots of drug related crimes as well. It strikes me as sad that the cockiest one of the lot isn't being tried now.

jingle Tue 15-Nov-11 11:04:55

Greatnan, you were probably not on Gransnet when I first posted about this, and had no replies. I'm glad people do care.

His mum is probably a gran by now. A thread with a bit of support would be good. IMHO

jingle Tue 15-Nov-11 11:10:04

And somehow it helps if other people express similar feelings to how you are feeling. Especially over something like this.

jingle Tue 15-Nov-11 19:19:23

They're going to get them this time. How marvellous is DNA?!!!

glammanana Tue 15-Nov-11 21:58:24

DNA is fabulous isn't it jingle DH was telling me of arrest of bloke who committed crimes in I think 1968 and has been charged to-day,you will need to look for it in media.

Oldgreymare Tue 15-Nov-11 22:43:48

Jingle Absolutely agree with what you say, sadly have not watched much news for a while but while use jolly old Google to catch up! Or will it go quiet while the trial is on?

Greatnan Wed 16-Nov-11 15:01:35

No, the newspapers are having a field day giving details of the new evidence - hairs and blood on the suspects clothing.
The Lawrences were very badly advised to bring a private prosecution against the advice of the DPP - if the law on double jeopardy had not been changed the racist scum would be untouchable.

Oldgreymare Thu 17-Nov-11 14:23:09

Caught up with newspapers online!
Talking Racist, what do you think of Seb Blatter's latest pronouncement? He really ought to be replaced!

Carol Thu 17-Nov-11 14:38:26

Seb Blatter should have been trounced months ago. To dismiss an allegation of racism by suggesting a handshake will sort it out, after millions of people have been waiting to find out if there was any foundation to this confrontation with the England captain, is tantamount to condoning racism across the board.

Oldgreymare Thu 17-Nov-11 14:53:02

Carol absolutely!

Annobel Thu 17-Nov-11 15:16:43

Sep Blather grin

Greatnan Thu 17-Nov-11 15:17:59

I was reading that thread on Mumsnet where it was said that many older people were casually racist, but thank goodness it does not apply here!
My daughter had a real problem with her FIL who was bigoted about so many things. She had learnt to bite her lip, but she apologised for not inviting me to some social occasions because she knew I would have waded in!

petallus Mon 21-Nov-11 13:43:52

I hate expressions like b------s and racist scum. Also don't like being coerced into joining a thread. I do hope justice is finally done though.

GoldenGran Mon 21-Nov-11 14:03:33

Agree petallus . But I do think there are still quite a lot of people in this country with racist views- I know of one or two in my own family, and they appear to be, in every other way normal empathetic caring people. I have a Nigerian daughter in law, and my daughter's children have a Jamaican father, I adore all of them and am fiercely protective. However there are two family members I no longer see because of their views, I just do not understand where they are coming from.Seb Blatter is a disgrace.

petallus Mon 21-Nov-11 16:05:28

I am very much against racism and murder, of course. And I don't mind having a discussion about it. I just don't want to start using certain terminology. I can understand people getting very angry about the awfulness of what happened to Stephen Lawrence and his family though.

Carol Mon 21-Nov-11 16:28:33

I understand where you're coming from Petallus. Using abusive words to describe racists and murderers is unnecessary. We live in a society where respectful behaviour should be modelled, otherwise abusive and aggressive language is perpetuated. There's a theory in the management of racist offenders that such horrendous crimes are one end of a continuum that begins with murmurs about people who don't fit in with 'us' and it grows into critisism, racist jokes and slurs, outright discrimination, overt prejudice, attacks and so on.....

jingl Mon 21-Nov-11 18:46:32

petallus - "coerced"?! I don't think so. Google it.

I appreciate you don't like the word (?!) b-----s.

I do, in this context.

And I am not into weird sociologists' theories.

jingl Mon 21-Nov-11 18:47:46

That last bit was to Carol.

FlicketyB Mon 21-Nov-11 20:16:54

The men in the dock are innocent until proved guilty and some of the comments here seem to express the same emotions, but not, I emphasise not, the prejudices of those now accused of the murder of Stephen Lawrence.

Who cannot feel for Stephen's parents or indeed other parents desperate for justice for their murdered children and of course one has strong feelings when murders like this occur but the same feelings were generated by the murder of Joanna Yeates and this led to the vilification of her landlord, Chris Jeffries, when he was arrested and held for questioning for the murder. In fact he was entirely innocent. He can sue papers and television companies for libel but the vile things that were said about him in ordinary conversations and on blogs will hang in the air forever. The mental damage it has done to him cannot be cured by libel damages.