Gransnet forums

News & politics

Diana Melly webchat for Dignity In Dying, Monday 26 March, 11am-noon

(122 Posts)
GeraldineGransnet (GNHQ) Mon 19-Mar-12 10:34:25

Ahead of an important parliamentary debate on assisted suicide the following day, we're delighted to welcome Diana Melly, an ambassador for Dignity In Dying, for a live webchat. Diana is a former nightclub hostess, an author and the widow of jazz singer George Melly. Get involved in our conversation about assisted dying.

LydiaReid Mon 26-Mar-12 11:20:35

May I ask where your figures come from Diana

thursdaygran Mon 26-Mar-12 11:28:28

How effective are advance decisions, given that I know personally of people who have asked not to be 'cured' but have been ignored by medical professionals?

I asked my father's doctors whether they were curing him or managing the end of his life. They were horrified at the question and seemed shocked that they wouldn't be curing him - although in fact, they weren't, and I think they knew this all along.

Isn't part of the problem that we lack a way of talking about death, and that advance decisions attempt to break through this - but they may not be able to do so, given medical professionals' refusal to accept that they are complicit in death as well as healing?

DianaMelly Mon 26-Mar-12 11:28:53

sneetch

The big question with assisted suicide is how to protect vulnerable people. What is Dignity In Dying's position on this - are you confident that if the law is changed, there won't be abuse?

Thanks that's very important. My own view is that, in spite of the law, there have been many abuses of vulnerable people in the past. I firmly believe that with the safeguards recommended by Dignity in Dying and the Commission on Assisted Dying, vulnerable people would be more protected rather than less.
At the moment there are many cases of people wishing to die because their pain is intolerable and they attempt suicide alone and with disastrous results.

If you click on this link, you'll see an example of the lack of safeguards currently in place www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/8828184/Sir-Patrick-Stewart-ignore-selfish-critics-of-assisted-dying.html

The safeguards I refer to can be found online in the report by the Commission and on DiD's website. I think at the moment there is serious abuse of people who are dying in pain, in spite of palliative care. Somebody who works in palliative care once said to me that one person pressured into an assisted death is one too many, and I said that one person dying in pain is one too many for me. However when it comes to potential abuse, I believe that the more it's in the open - the issues death and assisted death - the less abuse there'll be.

DianaMelly Mon 26-Mar-12 11:31:31

LydiaReid

May I ask where your figures come from Diana

Thanks Lydia. These polls are conducted by YouGov and British Social Attitudes which I understand are the most reliable and accurate polls out there. You can find a summary of these in this booklet, A Matter of Facts http://www.dignityindying.org.uk/includes/spaw2/uploads/files/A%20matter%20of%20facts%20May%202011.pdf as well as on YouGov & BSA websites.

GeraldineGransnet (GNHQ) Mon 26-Mar-12 11:35:08

That link is: www.dignityindying.org.uk/includes/spaw2/uploads/files/A%20matter%20of%20facts%20May%202011.pdf

LydiaReid Mon 26-Mar-12 11:40:29

Diana what about the polls shown by Carenotkilling many showing that the wording of the poll made a dramatic difference to the result of the poll Particularly where the polls showed the public thought that passing a law to allow assisted suicide would put more vulnerable people at risk

DianaMelly Mon 26-Mar-12 11:42:15

Riverwalk

Good morning Diana

Do you think people suffering from dementia, as opposed to physical illness, should be assisted to a quicker death by health professionals?

Good morning. This is the hardest question of all and I have to answer in a personal capacity because Dignity in Dying campaigns only for terminally ill mentally competent people.

Advance dementia is something we all dread. Me and my friends all say that we will help each other on our way, because i don't see the law ever being changed to grant those without mental capacity to have an assisted death. Although I would want an assisted death for myself in these circumstances, i don't see how the law can be changed safely to allow this.

George had dementia but luckily for him, not only did he die before it became advanced, but he trusted me to help him on his way if it became necessary. it's easy for me to say now because i didn't have to. He died at home in his own bed and without pain. But I like to think i would have helped him if I had to.

Advance Decisions will help with this as long as you keep them up-to-date because if you have dementia and you get pneumonia if your Advance Decision states that you've specified refusal of antibiotic treatment, your wishes should be respected. Just to make sure, i have also got a Lasting Power of Attorney regarding my health.

DianaMelly Mon 26-Mar-12 11:50:16

hopefulgran

Do you think that assisted dying will have any impact on end of life care? one of my worries is that a change in the law might let the government off the hook from providing top quality palliative care and enabling a good non-assisted suicide death to those who need it.

That's also a very good question. In Oregon where assisted dying has been legal for over ten years, there is strong evidence that palliative care has improved significantly since their assisted dying law was put into effect. The UK has been recognised as having the best palliative care in the world and I think it will continue to be developed and resourced, even with assisted dying.
I think it's important to note that palliative care and assisted dying is not an either/or relationship and I'd like to see more cooperation between the two organisations.

I'm also involved with palliative care organisation and I'm speaking at one of the Dying Matters events in June (I think!). Dignity in Dying is also a member of the Dying Matters Coalition and conducts research into end-of-life care in general. For example its partner organisation Compassion in Dying works to inform people of their rights at the end-of-life, including exploring access to palliative care and Advance Decisions.

LydiaReid Mon 26-Mar-12 11:53:35

http://www.carenotkilling.org.uk/polls/facts-and-figures

DianaMelly Mon 26-Mar-12 11:57:12

Annobel

I would like to ask Diana about the attitude of the medical profession to the idea of assisted suicide. I think I have heard that the BMA is against it as a policy but that individual doctors sometimes will unofficially give that little extra help to a dying patient.

Thank you Annobel. My father died in 1980 in a London hospital. The day he died he rang me up and said he'd told the doctor and the nurses that he'd had enough and wanted to be given an extra strong shot of morphine. He just wanted time to say goodbye to his children. He probably only had two or three days more to live at that moment but they would have been extremely unpleasant for him. We all know of doctors who are in favour of assisted dying; a doctor friend of mine said that if a close relation is dying, the magic words are "I hope you won't let him/her suffer unnecessarily". The doctor then knows you aren't going to sue!

It's interesting that recent polls show that doctors are split 50/50 on the issue of assisted dying, but that medical colleges like the BMA are opposed officially. I think that they should reflect their membership and have a neutral position. Healthcare Professionals for Assisted Dying is working to address this inaccuracy among medical colleges www.hpad.org.uk

DianaMelly Mon 26-Mar-12 12:05:41

getmehrt

There has been quite a lot of discussion of religion on this thread - so I'd like to ask what is Dignity In Dying's relationship to the various religious bodies in the country? have you approached them and if so what has their reaction been?

I don't know about Dignity in Dying's direct relationship with religious bodies, but I do know that there are many religious people who support assisted dying. Dignity in Dying has Rabbis and Revs as Patrons. Really it's about individuals and personal beliefs.

I'm not religious and wouldn't wish to be dictated to by a priest. George wasn't religious either and did not want to be told how to live, let alone how to die!

DianaMelly Mon 26-Mar-12 12:10:03

hyper

I have a friend who is a hospital consultant and she tells me that doctors quite often commit suicide when they are terminally ill. They use potassium chloride, I think (I would have to double check!) which is undetectable in the blood stream and looks like cardiac arrest. If this is true - and I trust my friend - then it seems doctors are already making the choice in some cases. Incidentally my friend is a pretty devout Catholic but says she would do this if she were terminally ill and facing great pain and indignity.

So I wanted to ask - are you familiar with this and doesn't it seem unfair that doctors who can get hold of drugs can do it but not the rest of us?

I think it seems very unfair! If we had to do it ourselves we don't have the expertise of doctors and so might mess it up, as already happens with botched amateur suicides. There's lots written about how doctors approach their end-of-lives differently to their patients perhaps because they can see that sometimes a good death is to be welcomed.

When our GP came to see George when he had died, she looked at him and said "He looks so peaceful". I replied "Well he would. He's dead isn't he?". "Diana" she replied, "that was the best death I've ever seen."

DianaMelly Mon 26-Mar-12 12:11:11

Thank you so much for your questions and keep up the conversations!

Diana x

LydiaReid Mon 26-Mar-12 12:12:52

http://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/nejm199710233371712

This is only a little of the info on how assisted suicide is going in Oregon some people have been forced to use the law to gain good palliative care

LydiaReid Mon 26-Mar-12 12:15:29

In January 2011, the BMA was invited to give written and oral evidence to the Commission on Assisted Dying. The Association declined the invitation on the basis that the stated purpose of the Commission, ‘to investigate the circumstances under which it should be possible for people to be assisted to die in the UK’, was inconsistent with the BMA’s own policy position opposing all forms of assisted dying.

GeraldineGransnet (GNHQ) Mon 26-Mar-12 12:16:45

Thanks so much to Diana for coming in and answering many of our questions. We'll be watching tomorrow's debate with interest...

Carol Tue 27-Mar-12 07:47:07

Two people on Breakfast TV discussing the debate on whether the law should be changed, in the house today. One from Care not Killing, saying that the current blanket prohibition should stay, to enable prosecutions to be brought, and he feels it is right to keep it. The other person, who helped his wife end her life because she had advanced MS, and had made her own balanced decision to go, said he couldn't see any moral justification for preventing him help her to carry out her wishes. Referring to Holland, it was mentioned that there would be thousands of deaths if the laws were relaxed, and we should not look to the way it is done there as a model for the UK.

Greatnan Tue 27-Mar-12 09:39:07

I was unimpressed by the man from Care not killing - he didn't address the situation that the other man described.
The subject is being discussed on The Wright Stuff in about an hour (Jodi Picoult is a guest, plus Christine Hamilton)

jaskie Tue 27-Mar-12 17:08:09

In the future say 10-15 years from now there will be so many old mentally frail people and old folk with terminal illnesses...... even the two together that the cost to the NHS will be enormous...... legislation will be rolled in to allow a number of options.This is just my guess of things but we cannot really afford good care now!!
Todays old folk come from a generation that smoked, had masses of heart attacks and suffered thousands of early deaths in WW2.If we had a full generation the NHS would be in an even greater mess re elderly people!!
I have worked hard all my life for myself and my children...... I would rather die peacefully than face years of wetting my knickers and putting money into the pockets of nursing home owners.
Being ALIVE is not always living ..... being a vegetable is not worth a candle.Living in pain..... try arthritis of the spine etc..... even today thousands of old folk live wretched awful lives with no medical help that really makes life worth living!! Death is a welcome visitor!!

LydiaReid Tue 27-Mar-12 20:23:39

Jaskie not all of us who are in a great deal of pain welcome death Some appreciate the fact that they are alive

Some are happy to wait until it is our time

Greatnan Tue 27-Mar-12 22:46:02

Anyone wanting to wait in pain until it is their time would be free to do so.